PDA

View Full Version : TUF 13: Episode 8 ***SPOILERS***

War Wizard
5/19/2011 1:12pm,
Good episode, 2 fights, little man drama.

Odd little sit down with Brian Stann. I get that the Marines sponsor the UFC and The Ultimate Fighter. The Marines are good at what they do (and Stann is a certified bad ass) and as a former Sailor I respect that. Still, this little segment was bizarre. None of these guys are going to join the Marines and sitting everyone down for what was basically a recruiting speech broke the basic rhythm each episode has. Was a recruiting ad for the commercial breaks not deemed good enough? Guess Harry Truman was right, lol.

Clay (Lesnar) vs. Ramsey (JDS)

Good ol' striker versus grappler with predictable results. Clay tries to stand and bang, Ramsey takes him down, chokes him out. Remember kids, if you're gonna have your gameplan revolve around striking you really need to work on your takedown defense.

Chris (Lesnar) vs. Shamar (JDS)

Open mouth, insert foot. Thanks Shamar, I love it when people disappoint like that. Quick overview, Shamar promises an ass whippin' and fails to deliver. Chris wins the decision. I know JDS and Shamar called shenanigans on the judging, but after that first round I Knew Chris was getting the decision unless Shamar stepped it up. Stuffed takedowns don't count there bud. Yeah he put Chris up against the cage quite a bit but Chris threw and landed WAY more strikes than Shamar did. That **** adds up. I get that Shamar hurt his back and that explains the weak double legs, but it's no excuse for those weak ass single strikes he threw. Several connected, but his wrists were limp and his hands were open. Can't knock somebody out like that. Also, does anybody in this house know how to do a foot sweep? Double legs aren't the be all end all of takedowns. Saw several instances where an Ouchi gari or a Kosoto gari or Kosoto gake would've put Chris on the mat.

What's up with guys going and whining to Dana after the fact? If your **** wasn't weak you wouldn't have to. "Oh Dana, please, please, please, please, please, let me be in the final!!" Dana's response about the takedowns was funny though, "But you did try to take him down..." Ha.

han090
5/19/2011 2:50pm,
Shamaer's comments vs Dana's comments were hilarious.

Dana: "Shamar couldn't do anything standing"

a minute later in tv show time, when talking to dana "I wanted to show you that I could stand and bang".

I don't know why Shamar and JDS were so shocked. He clearly wasn't winning the standup, and he couldn't take the guy down. I don't think you get points for pushing them against the cage, unless you actually hit them when you're there, and not just get hit in the face over and over.

Chris was clearly afraid of getting taken down though. You'd think he'd have figured it out after the first round that the guy wasn't going to be able to take him down.

The marine thing was weird and annoying, even worse than the ridiculous 5 minute close up of the can of ed's shave gel.

I don't know about whining though. If i'd been given an opportunity like that, and completely failed to deliver in my fight, i'd feel the need to apologise/explain to Dana too.

matthias.
5/19/2011 2:56pm,
I've been rooting for Ramsey since the beginning and i was bloody right! And i like that he isn't a tough guy claiming breaking the law (yeah i'm looking at you Clay).

Same with Chris, he keeps his both feet on the ground when fighting with shamar. Saying he just want to have fun in the cage and than you had Shamar claiming the ass whooping.

And even though Shamar claimed he put up a show it sucked monkey balls. C'mon you're a wreslter and you call that takedowns? To bad but that's one you lost with a reason man.

alex
5/19/2011 3:58pm,
i dont really see how chris won that fight, but it was fucking boring either way. Shamar couldnt finish his takedowns and had ugly awkward standup, chris just didnt do fucking ****. no one on this sow looks like they belong in the ufc tbh.

Robstafarian
5/19/2011 4:02pm,
I agree that the Marines Corp Show and Tell with Brian Stann was over the top; as much as I respect the guy, “it broke the show's rhythm” pretty much sums up my reaction to it. Also, I didn't like Lesnar's kindergarten teacher “everyone thank Brian Stann for coming to talk to us today” bit at the end. Everyone who has read one of these threads knows I don't like Lesnar, but that **** started putting a bad taste in my mouth when I was 8. Speaking of ****, we need a Bullbook pool for how many times Lesnar's “chicken” mantra will be said in each week's episode.

Junior's reaction to the Shamar decision really made me question my impression of him. It is one thing to really want your fighter to win, but it's quite another to yell “beautiful!” and “good Shamar!” when someone is backing up after doing nothing. Mixed martial arts is complex and there's a very small window for criticism from those who don't train, I know, but it seemed to me than Junior's support was most emphatic when Shamar had been almost completely idle. It reminded me of a previous season when a fighter expected to win a decision after his entire fight had been throwing one or two leg kicks per minute.

War Wizard
5/19/2011 4:05pm,
Eh I wouldn't go so far as saying no one in this house deserves to be in the UFC, but this is definitely the weakest cast they've had in while. Even guys that should be throwing down aren't (I'm looking at **you** Shamar) and guys like Cope are simply surviving their way to winning. Ramsey's finish of Clay was pretty convincing though, as was his win in the previous fight. Zach's win over Chuck was also convincing and I'm pretty sure we'll see a repeat next week. Might be Zach vs. Ramsey at the final.

Flappyhead
5/19/2011 6:03pm,
i dont really see how chris won that fight, but it was fucking boring either way. Shamar couldnt finish his takedowns and had ugly awkward standup, chris just didnt do fucking ****. no one on this sow looks like they belong in the ufc tbh.

I think that was the first time I've ever seen a guy back step his way into victory. I'd love to see him win just to watch the absolute beating he'd take against actual fighters.

War Wizard
5/19/2011 7:36pm,
I agree that the Marines Corp Show and Tell with Brian Stann was over the top; as much as I respect the guy, “it broke the show's rhythm” pretty much sums up my reaction to it. Also, I didn't like Lesnar's kindergarten teacher “everyone thank Brian Stann for coming to talk to us today” bit at the end. Everyone who has read one of these threads knows I don't like Lesnar, but that **** started putting a bad taste in my mouth when I was 8. Speaking of ****, we need a Bullbook pool for how many times Lesnar's “chicken” mantra will be said in each week's episode.

Junior's reaction to the Shamar decision really made me question my impression of him. It is one thing to really want your fighter to win, but it's quite another to yell “beautiful!” and “good Shamar!” when someone is backing up after doing nothing. Mixed martial arts is complex and there's a very small window for criticism from those who don't train, I know, but it seemed to me than Junior's support was most emphatic when Shamar had been almost completely idle. It reminded me of a previous season when a fighter expected to win a decision after his entire fight had been throwing one or two leg kicks per minute.

You hit on something here. This episode and really this whole season has almost felt like watching a kinder soccer camp rather than an MMA camp. From patronizing "coaching" to the "kids" crying and whining after losing. Playing to the audience is one thing, but wtf, grow a pair and drive on.

Wolf
5/19/2011 8:48pm,
Just a little inside info. I know shamar personally. Check his blog at heavy.com.
http://www.heavy.com/mma/ufc/2011/05/tuf-13-fighter-blog-shamar-bailey-talks-episode-8/

While I can see that being a fight that could be scored either way, I can say that it didn't look like him. He had a pretty badly sprained back, and they downplayed it a lot in the editing. Apparently he couldn't do **** for two weeks leading up to the fight, but didn't want to go to the doctor for fear they'd send him home. Was it smart? Probably not, since it could have screwed him up even more, and it doesn't make an excuse because he took the fight anyway. It's more just a reason for why he couldn't finish the takedowns.

I've seen Shamar lift up and slam guys bigger, stronger and better than Cope repeatedly. He was definitely having issues. That said, I'll reiterate, it's still not an excuse. He took the fight knowing how bad he was hurt. That's the way it goes.

omoplatypus
5/19/2011 9:31pm,
thank you WW for mentioning o uchi gari and ko uchi gari. i was staring at my tv slackjawed at the chances shamar had for taking him down if he would just quit the double leg.

Travis17
5/19/2011 10:56pm,
A bad back can affect everything you do, not just takedowns. Your back helps you do a lot of things physically, and you don't realize it until you injure it and it hurts just walking. Don't know how bad it was for Shamar.

I think Chris did the smart thing by keeping his distance and not letting Shamar get in close because Shamar probably could have taken him down if he caught him off guard and off balance.

War Wizard
5/20/2011 5:00am,
Just a little inside info. I know shamar personally. Check his blog at heavy.com.
http://www.heavy.com/mma/ufc/2011/05/tuf-13-fighter-blog-shamar-bailey-talks-episode-8/

While I can see that being a fight that could be scored either way, I can say that it didn't look like him. He had a pretty badly sprained back, and they downplayed it a lot in the editing. Apparently he couldn't do **** for two weeks leading up to the fight, but didn't want to go to the doctor for fear they'd send him home. Was it smart? Probably not, since it could have screwed him up even more, and it doesn't make an excuse because he took the fight anyway. It's more just a reason for why he couldn't finish the takedowns.

I've seen Shamar lift up and slam guys bigger, stronger and better than Cope repeatedly. He was definitely having issues. That said, I'll reiterate, it's still not an excuse. He took the fight knowing how bad he was hurt. That's the way it goes.

Hmm, suspected as much. Still, if he was fighting with a bad back he should've adjusted his gameplan accordingly. I don't really think that's his fault though. Gameplans are where the coaches come in. They said he was supposed to stand and bang but clearly the plan actually was still the same as the first fight, take'em down and hold'em. Shamar's got a great record and finishes more often than not, just left me scratching my head after seeing him on the show.