PDA

View Full Version : NPR talks about Area 51

jspeedy
5/18/2011 12:05am,
I was surprised to hear this interview with LA Times journalist Annie Jacobson about her new book on the subject. According to Jacobson and her sources a flying saucer did crash in Roswell and it was occupied by childlike genetically/surgically altered occupants and the saucer originated in Russia.

I like a good conspiracy theory every now and then but most theories make wild assumptions and conclusions. Like the common conspiracy theory this story also makes some amazing claims however the journalist seems to have all her ducks in a row and seems to have reliable sources. Maybe I just trust NPR too much but I find this story more valid than most that I run across. I will point out that it seems the wildly controversial Roswell crash only makes up a small portion of her story/book and that most of the other stuff is interesting and much less sensational. What do you guys think?

Full story:
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/136356848/area-51-uncensored-was-it-ufos-or-the-ussr

Excerpt:
On why Area 51 is actually classified, according to a source

"The Horten brothers were involved in the flying disc crash in New Mexico. And that is from a single source. ... There was an unusual moment where that source became very upset and told me things that were stunning that's almost impossible to believe at first read. And that is that a flying disc really did crash in New Mexico and it was transported to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, and then in 1951 it was transferred to Area 51, which is why the base is called Area 51. And the stunning part of the reveal is that my source, who I absolutely believe and worked with for 18 months on this, was one of the engineers who received the equipment and he also received the people who were in the craft.
"The people were, according to the source, were child-sized pilots, and there's a lot of debate about how old they were. He believes they were 13, although other people believe they may have been older. But this is a firsthand witness to this, and I made a decision to write about this in the very end of the book, after I take the traditional journalist form of telling you everything in the third person, I switch and I kind of lean into the reader and I say, 'Look, this is not why Area 51 is classified to the point where no one in the government will admit it exists. The reason is because what one man told me.' And then using the first person, I tell you what I was told. And there's no doubt that people are going to be upset, alarmed and skeptical of this information, but I absolutely believe the veracity of my source, and I believe it was important that I put this information out there because it is the tip of a very big iceberg."

Another excerpt I found particularly interesting for those that think "they" (govt, big business or whoever) can't keep a secret from the public:

"Building the bomb was the single most expensive engineering project in the history of the United States. It began in 1942, and by the time the bomb was tested, inside the White Sands Proving Ground in the New Mexico high desert on July 16, 1945, the bomb's price tag, adjusted for inflation, was $28,000,000,000. The degree of secrecy maintained while building the bomb is almost inconceivable. When the world learned that America had dropped an atomic weapon on Hiroshima, no one was more surprised than the U.S. Congress, none of whose members had had any idea it was being developed. Vice President Harry Truman had been equally stunned to learn about the bomb when he became president of the United States, on April 12, 1945. Truman had been the chairman of the Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program when he was vice president, meaning he was in charge of watching how money was spent during the war, yet he'd had no idea about the atomic bomb until he became president and the information was relayed to him by two men: Vannevar Bush, the president's science adviser, and Henry L. Stimson, the nation's secretary of war. Bush was in charge of the Manhattan Project, and Stimson was in charge of the war.
The Manhattan Project employed two hundred thousand people. It had eighty offices and dozens of production plants spread out all over the country, including a sixty-thousand-acre facility in rural Tennessee that pulled more power off the nation's electrical grid than New York City did on any given night. And no one knew the Manhattan Project was there. That is how powerful a black operation can be."

If you've got the time check out the link I posted or visit npr.org to check out the 45 min interview with the books author. The author of the story does also mention that she checked the military background of her sources and looked into them extensively.

W. Rabbit
5/18/2011 12:28am,
A good, comprehensive work. NPR has a knack for doing their homework.

74 sources, over half of whom worked at Area 51, only one of whom had this crazy story.

That leads me to believe that either it was very compartmentalized or is self-delusional fantasy borne from a long life spent working hush hush.

If the Soviets really did send genetically engineered hobbits to America as a scare deterrent to nuclear weapons (which itself sounds beyond ludicrous)...then the real story is still not the kids...it's the Horten Brothers' magic "flying saucer"...probably some Nazi stealth aircraft that spins on a saucer of air and is completely invisible to radar.

Or something.

$2Billion in 1945 dollars inflates to $22B..ouch.

Colin
5/18/2011 12:31am,

wasn't the cost already inflated to reflect current value? (still a fuckton of money)

jspeedy
5/18/2011 12:44am,
A good, comprehensive work. NPR has a knack for doing their homework.

74 sources, over half of whom worked at Area 51, only one of whom had this crazy story.

That leads me to believe that either it was very compartmentalized or is self-delusional fantasy borne from a long life spent working hush hush.

If the Soviets really did send genetically engineered hobbits to America as a scare deterrent to nuclear weapons (which itself sounds beyond ludicrous)...then the real story is still not the kids...it's the Horten Brothers' magic "flying saucer"...probably some Nazi stealth aircraft that spins on a saucer of air and is completely invisible to radar.

Or something.

I thought the same thing about the single source giving all the craziness. Even with that in particular aside the other stuff about nuclear weapons testing raises an eyebrow. A lot of what she says she claims is listed in declassified reports that I have no ambiition in researching. I'm so fickle when it comes to conspiracy theories on day I feel like there might be something to them the next I say **** it is BS. For the most part I feel there is no way to validate muchless deny the truth behind the theories, kind of like the bible.

wasn't the cost already inflated to reflect current value? (still a fuckton of money)

Is that a metric fukton or standard?

W. Rabbit
5/18/2011 12:44am,

I went backwards. I took the 22B from the news article and converted it to 1945 dollars. In 1945, the Manhattan Project had an operational cost of $2B.

So yeah the US dollar is currently worth 1/10th of what it was in 1945.

resolve
5/30/2011 5:55pm,
I know a few people who had/have top or near top security clearance (relatives, friends, and their friends).

They know what's in Area 51 and of course as good citizens refuse to divulge anything about it. Most of them are christians.

Take from that what you will :P.

/stirs conspiracy pot

DKJr
5/30/2011 6:08pm,
The Manhattan project was also infiltrated by the Soviets, ie not that secret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Fuchs

Flying saucer with midgets I'm not inclined to believe, Soviet Stealth aircraft that we shot down while it was trying to take pictures? Yeah I'd believe it.

SARS_Attacks
6/15/2011 5:22am,
What the? I'm half way into her book....and I've yet to see any mention of child like muto people....guess I need to pick it back up and continue to read it.

W. Rabbit
6/15/2011 7:36am,
What the? I'm half way into her book....and I've yet to see any mention of child like muto people....guess I need to pick it back up and continue to read it.

It was one story out of 74 people interviewed, probably a footnote near the end.

jspeedy
6/16/2011 8:41pm,

Let us know about it when you get there? Also, I was interested in buying the book, is it worth the buy? What is the main "meat"? (subject/topic) of the book. Maybe you should just send it to me when your done....

Lebell
7/10/2011 3:18am,
Yeah well...

First of all: the manhattan project wasnt as secret as everybody assumes.
Most foreign powers had a rough idea how far the others were in their research.
Surprisingly, the nazis were a mile off in their approach towards an atomic bomb.

Nazi scientists and devellopers got huge funding and freedoms to knock emselves out in their designs.
The craziest things have been found, were it prototypes or just blueprints on designertables.

The weirdest story ive ever read was about the Ohrdurf facility.
A top secret facility, guarded by SS, where they alledgedly worked on mindblowing technologies using magnetic propulsion/energie, a theory was that they were working on magnetic beams that were meant to shut engines down on impact, bomberplane-engines.
In a last ditch effort to turn the cards.

Thing is, if any superpower would have alien or superadvanced high tech gear, just how long will they wait before they just implement it in public?

I personally think that if an ufo would crash we wouldnt have the slightest idea of what to do with it, how to research it etc.
Use logic: aliens can reach us from far far away while we can barely reach the moon, let alone mars.

Let's say it's russian like in that book: what army in their right mind would let 13 year olds fly expensive supersecret stealth planes?!
use your brain.

Odacon
7/10/2011 1:37pm,
I just want to take the conversation off course a little and ask, it there an area 1 - 50? If so what are they for?

Lebell
7/11/2011 2:54am,
dumbass, if you read the article you would know its called area 51 cos of the year 1951.
*shakes head*

judoka_uk
7/11/2011 4:07am,
Let's say it's russian like in that book: what army in their right mind would let 13 year olds fly expensive supersecret stealth planes?!
use your brain.
The same army that would train anti-tank dogs using their own tanks, so that when deployed the dogs would often seek out their own sides' tanks not the Germans.

Lebell
7/11/2011 4:32am,
The same army that would train anti-tank dogs using their own tanks, so that when deployed the dogs would often seek out their own sides' tanks not the Germans.

Yeah my greatuncle told me about that.
He also told me what he used to do with partizane prisoners and...oh nevermind, thats off topic.