PDA

View Full Version : Cool doc. on BS Martial arts

boxingfan03
5/17/2011 8:34am,
That is the show called ''Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t!'' Season 8.

Topic: Martial arts does not provide real self-defense as it is typically portrayed and generally just boosts confidence, and in fact may lead people to unintentionally break US self-defense laws due to ignorance of said laws.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=L4PVVNK3

It is Fake
5/17/2011 9:36am,
Read the forums FAQs before you post.

boxingfan03
5/17/2011 4:54pm,
Read the forums FAQs before you post.

Oups, sorry, I posted it on the wrong forum!

Can we suppress it?

boxingfan03
5/17/2011 4:55pm,
That is the show called ''Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t!'' Season 8.

Topic: Martial arts does not provide real self-defense as it is typically portrayed and generally just boosts confidence, and in fact may lead people to unintentionally break US self-defense laws due to ignorance of said laws.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=L4PVVNK3

Bneterasedmynam
5/17/2011 5:07pm,
Penn and teller are fucktards, in their show they suggested using guns since according to them it would have the same legal implications which is crap. The also talked about using the hippie method of just dumping a slushy on your head. So basically what I am saying is don't take self defense advise from hippies, I include akkido in this.

P Marsh
5/17/2011 7:14pm,
Penn and teller are fucktards, in their show they suggested using guns since according to them it would have the same legal implications which is crap. The also talked about using the hippie method of just dumping a slushy on your head. So basically what I am saying is don't take self defense advise from hippies, I include akkido in this.

I've seen the episode and their argument is that Martial Arts like the RBSD guys try to push with the whole MURDER OR BE MURDERED mentality are just as liable to criminal charges as using a firearm and much less effective. And they do bash new age "internal" martial arts but I'm pretty sure the old lady in her back yard doesn't make claims of fighting off a gang of filthy Mexicans.

Despite the occasional biased episode and somewhat reoccurring lack of a thorough investigation on potential counter-arguments this episode stands up pretty well and stays on point from what I recall.

danno
5/17/2011 8:15pm,
saw this when it aired, i thought they misunderstood a few things and i disagreed with parts. in some ways they were right on the money.

can't remember exactly what though, would have to watch it again.

It is Fake
5/17/2011 8:34pm,
Really? I just moved this out of MABS. This is not a Serious discussion on Martial Arts it is a TV show.

Read this and don't do it again.
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57547

excludedmiddle
5/17/2011 9:12pm,
Too bad they didn't have a "sports MA" category. Then again it's supposed to be about exposing bullshit, not finding out what works, I guess.

Bahuyuddha
5/18/2011 2:23am,
I think they raised some good points, but what they didn't really address is that some people just train because it's a fun way to exercise, like playing any sport. As far as their argument about being more likely to get injured training a martial art, you're just as likely to get injured playing rugby or soccer.

Oh, and nice stuff at 16:30!

Evergrey
5/18/2011 3:26am,
They found the biggest wackos they could, and the cheapest breaking tricks too. They had a great point if they were talking just about McDojos and cults... but they lumped everybody in together.

boxingfan03
5/18/2011 5:55am,
Really? I just moved this out of MABS. This is not a Serious discussion on Martial Arts it is a TV show.

Read this and don't do it again.
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57547

DAMN!
I'm sorry, you can suppress it then. I won't post it again

Rickko
5/20/2011 2:16am,
My kidneys tell me not to be scared!!! wtf
Yeah,if my organs could talk it'd go something like this

My kidneys tell me not to be scared
My nose says "**** you,I'm the one being punched "