PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of quitting one...WHICH ONE?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Katriona1992
5/16/2011 7:28am,
The level of work is mounting up and very soon it shall consume me for the next three and a half years (until I finish my degree). I cannot afford the time to practice judo and boxing like I have for the last two to three months for much longer, especially because of travelling time and such. Also, there is the little problem regarding money, of which I am kind of short of (I usually have around $175-ish dollars after everything- rent, food, clothing, tutition- is paid for each month)

Soo...the question comes down to which should I quit? Both styles are solid and are taught by experienced teachers alongside decent people. I am not thinking of entering MMA, rather to do it for a) self defense and b) fitness.

Option A: Quit boxing
Boxing-three times a week, 35 minute drive each way. Lessons are typically 1 hour long. One month costs $30 and this includes gym membership. I workout around an hour with the facilities provided there each week.

Option B: Quit judo
Judo- once a week, 20 minute drive each way. Lessons are typically two and a half hours long (one and half hours of Gi, one hour is no Gi). One month costs $60.

...........If it were you, which one would you quit and why? I cannot make up my mind as they are numerous pros and cons and would like to hear some opinions from my more experienced peers (aka you).

Katriona1992
5/16/2011 7:42am,
Just for the record, I am 5"4 and weigh around 108 pounds. I am female (for those who have not been able to spot that fact from my username).

Southpaw
5/16/2011 8:00am,
I would quit boxing as brains don't like to get hit that much...and judo develops a much broader range of skills.

Judo is a much better long term option in my opinion.

Snake Plissken
5/16/2011 8:07am,
It is easier for you to train solo boxing drills. Work hands on a heavy/speed bag or double-ended striking bag. You can shadowbox, work footwork, work body movement drills under a clothesline, skip rope, do roadwork.

You can also get a friend to drill you with boxing easier than drilling judo. Work some simple one-two offs by having a friend throw a jab-cross where you move/duck/block/react, return strike. It is simpler to have a friend throw punches at you than actually throw you.

If you HAVE to drop one, you can keep your boxing skills sharper over time and pick it up later and have a smaller learning curve.

Gabetuno
5/16/2011 8:08am,
I think Judo is more engaging mentally, but boxing may be a more practical and usable art. That said, I've always found grappling arts span each other more easily than striking arts, so I'd stick with the Judo.

Edit: NICE STATS! :p

maofas
5/16/2011 9:00am,
Unless you can increase the number of Judo lessons per week when you drop the boxing it's not an easy choice.

I suppose it depends whether fitness or self-defense is more important. Boxing is giving you more workouts per week plus the use of the gym, so it's a better choice for fitness. Judo is covering more of your bases for SD and arguably more important bases for a female, but has a steep skill slope to climb before it starts to be usable, so it's not conducive to start and stop. OTOH, it's 1x per week only, and while the class is nice and long, I think it hurts a little to cram on one day instead of spreading it across multiple days. That just isn't how most people learn their best.

P.S. You didn't mention which you find more enjoyable. If you enjoy one a lot more than the other, stick with that one.

money
5/16/2011 10:14am,
If you enjoy both equally, I'd recommend sticking with the Judo. From a defense perspective, I would think it would be the best in the long run for your body type. If you have been boxing long enough to develop a decent baseline then you could get a bag at home to maintain your skills.

Coach Josh
5/16/2011 10:35am,
Train Judo

Soldiermedic
5/16/2011 10:39am,
I am biased towards grappling arts, but I do think that only once a week(even at 2+ hours a session) is pretty hard on skill retention. If you've absorbed enough boxing to be able to shadowbox and do bagwork on your own then I'd say continue to do judo and train on your own for the striking.

Katriona1992
5/16/2011 8:37pm,
I am biased towards grappling arts, but I do think that only once a week(even at 2+ hours a session) is pretty hard on skill retention. If you've absorbed enough boxing to be able to shadowbox and do bagwork on your own then I'd say continue to do judo and train on your own for the striking.

Thats what I fear the most. Even though, technically, I am only doing 1/2 less of judo than boxing, I can remember how to do basic movements (such as jab, hook) a lot better than I could for judo (e.g. ogoshi). I am afraid that, when it comes down to self defense (Sydney is pretty much gun free and I do like to party after dark), I will forget what to do if I only do one martial arts session a week o.o

Snake Plissken
5/16/2011 9:12pm,
I sent a PM to poster "Lily" who is both female and in your area. When she returns from her vacation, she may post on this thread.

Katriona1992
5/16/2011 11:27pm,
I sent a PM to poster "Lily" who is both female and in your area. When she returns from her vacation, she may post on this thread.

thanks man :)

The_Beak
5/17/2011 12:40am,
Buddy system, Tasers, rape whistle, mace for self defense.

Judo for it's many other benefits.

I haven't been in a bunch of street fights but I have fallen off of stuff.

Breakfalls help out alot with that type of self defense.

hoodedmonk
5/17/2011 12:49am,
Though Personally I preferr the Grappling arts(Bjj) If I was you, I would choose Boxing. It is both cheaper and because it is 3 times a week you might get better benifits fitness wise. That being said if your passion is Judo than stick with it. Good luck in decision.

Snake Plissken
5/17/2011 12:53am,
thanks man :)
you are welcome, she might have some suggestions for training in the area or a club that offers both of what you are looking for at a price you can fit into your budget.

Jim_Jude
5/17/2011 12:56am,
quit both and start doing Systema. It's better for someone with your build.