PDA

View Full Version : my grappling sucks

Pages : [1] 2

nasty_totoro
3/17/2004 12:01am,
i was in mount and couldnt even get a submision ... got rolled over twice and nearly got triangled ....

i think that i need a more active ground game ... not just the usual get on top and pound ...

Hannibal
3/17/2004 12:03am,
What martial arts style do you do ?

stoogejitsu
3/17/2004 12:03am,
How long have you been training, what style, and how much experience did the guy you were rolling with have, all very important factors.

stoogejitsu
3/17/2004 12:05am,
Mount isn't always a sure position, it's great if your punching, but some people are not very good at keeping it and using submission from there, it takes alot of practice. I personally only like mount for vale tudo, and use it more as a transitionary position in submission grappling.

nasty_totoro
3/17/2004 12:07am,
style: pankration
training: not long enough
other guy: more than me

that's no excuse though ... because i KNOW what i should have done ... just didn't think of it at the time ...

stoogejitsu
3/17/2004 12:10am,
Don't be to hard on yourself, grappling is all feeling and programming, it kind of has to become more reflexive than be thought through, though at first you will be thinking through everything, but after awhile it will be just something you do without thinking about it. Don't be to hard on yourself, I know that is easier said than done, just remember even the best have had this problem in the beginning, and as you get better different problems will pop up, its just the nature of the game.

stoogejitsu
3/17/2004 12:12am,
And remember just because you get mount doesn't automatically give people a sub, I sometimes let people get mount on me just so I can work my sweeps and get a dominant position.

Omega Supreme
3/17/2004 12:22am,
Side control has more submissions. But yes you're right, I mis spoke you suck at grappling like most others do with little experiance. Now quit your obvious observations and get back on the mat.

nasty_totoro
3/17/2004 12:23am,
thanks for the advice ...

here's a question ... when you are in mount or side control ... and he has his arms tight against his chest to prevent submissions .... how do you break them apart ....

normally i'd just start pounding in a case like that ... but this was submission only ...

Omega Supreme
3/17/2004 12:24am,
Originally posted by nasty_totoro
thanks for the advice ...

here's a question ... when you are in mount or side control ... and he has his arms tight against his chest to prevent submissions .... how do you break them apart ....

normally i'd just start pounding in a case like that ... but this was submission only ...

Rotate to north south and then continue the rotation to the other side, this force the arms away from the body.

bunyip
3/17/2004 12:26am,
I could probably count on one hand the number of submissions I got from mount during my first 9 months of training.

JohnnyS
3/17/2004 12:27am,
I like to cup the head, move my body off to the side and drive my chest sideways against his so it seperates his arms.

stoogejitsu
3/17/2004 12:27am,
Yeah, what omega said, just make sure to get him up on one side or the other, i.e. one shoulder down or the other, figure 4 the arm and you have a multitude of options, i.e. armbars, can get rear mount, or kimura (kamura?), anyways you've got tons of cool options from this position.

stoogejitsu
3/17/2004 12:28am,
Or post out armbar, there is many different names for that generic "shoulder" crank.

Omega Supreme
3/17/2004 12:37am,
the other attacks you can do are what I call baited ankle locks. A vein attempt at an ankle lock to force positions is a percarious but great strategy. Especially if you lock a few in and get the rep that you know what you're doing.

JohnnyS
3/17/2004 12:42am,
I understand that people with technical questions will ask them on a forum - and I'm also quite happy to answer them (better than doing work!), but I want to know if you guys also ask your instructors these same questions?

The internet is hardly the best way of receiving a technical answer - even with video - because, especially with grappling, most answers will have a timing and sensitivity aspect to them. I'm just wondering if some of you guys are afraid to ask your instructor these questions?
You shouldn't be afraid, because more often than not the people at your own level will also have the same questions, and even if they think they know the answer they will probably learn something.

If you ask the question, you're ready to learn the answer. It can be hard being an instructor and to know what everyone needs - questions are a good form of feedback to your instructor and let him know where you're at with your game, and what you need to learn.