PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Dragons Academy vs Sai's Studio2000, Derby

Pages : [1] 2

Stampy
5/04/2011 10:37am,
Hello people

First post so be kind!

Of the 2 below, who would you trust with your martial arts tutoring as a total novice?

http://dragonsacademy.tripod.com/instructors.htm - Kickboxing and MMA classes mainly

OR

http://www.studio2000.uk.com/instructors.html - Muay Thai only

inb4:
http://i.imgur.com/F1NYh.gif

ps. I've read the stickies and the great post about choosing a good school

Stampy
5/05/2011 4:28am,
Here's the stupidly TLDR version because I understand not many will want to click the above links:

Which guy would you want to teach you? And why?

Dragons:
Stefan Rowland is the Head Instructor at Dragons Academy and has been involved in Training and Teaching Martial Arts since 1986 and has been extensively featured in National Martial Arts Publications such as "Fighters" and "Combat" as well as in the local paper and radio. Stefan is a full time, fully registered and qualified Instructor and holds Black belt in kickboxing, tae-kwon do and Brithai. He is also studying Ninjutsu and holds the position of "Competition Teams Executive" for the uk for the British National Martial Arts Associations and has been awarded the coverted "BNMA Hons" Award for the services to Martial Arts.

Studio2000:
SAI'S TOTAL FIGHT RECORD, (56F, 42W, 3D, 9L, 2N/C)

"As you can imagine after over 25 years of training I could write a book on my experiences, so what I have tried to do is condense it into pivotal points in my life and the main and most inspirational people I have had the privilege of training under, and the champions I have trained and sparred with in order of years.

THE EARLY YEARS:

BOXING, 1980-83 at Merlin and St Kitts in Derby, then later with Pat Brogan in Stoke on Trent.

KUNG-FU/KICKBOXING, 1982-84 with Gary Stringer, achieved black belt at 15yrs.

THE MUAY THAI YEARS, 1984-88, MASTER TODDY, MASTERS WOODY AND KRIN, MASTER SKEN. (gyms in Newton St, Portland Rd, Rainy city, Universe gym in Manchester)

1988-96, I trained privately twice a week with William Hilditch, Master Sken's 1st ever student. (Gym the original Studio 2000 in Bridge St, Deans Gate Manchester)

I WOULD LIKE TO STATE THIS WAS THE MOST INSPIRATIONAL PERSON I HAVE TRAINED UNDER AND WHY MY GYM IS CALLED STUDIO 2000.(now you all know where the name came from).

THAILAND, 1985, during this year I spent 6 months of it in Thailand.

The camps I trained in are in order; Sor Ploenjjit. Sor Voropin / Jitti gym, Galaxy gym, Chitlada gym, Sor Thanikul, Sitryodthong-payakaroon.

CHAMPIONS I HAVE TRAINED AND SPARRED WITH:

THAI,
Masters Toddy, Woody, Krin, Sken. Paisiri, Simingnum, Detrit Sor Ploenjit, Khaosai and Khaokor Galaxy, Sot Chitalada,Master Yodthong Sennan , Samart and Kongtoranee Payakaroon, Supernoi, Sombat Sor Thanikul, Changpuek Kiatsongrit, Paruhatlek Kitchoonthong, Tantawannoi Sitsilachai, Rajasak Sor Vorapin, Rungnakorn.

DUTCH,
Rob Kaman, Ramon Decker,

ENGLISH,
William Hillditch, Oliver and Humphrey Harrison, Carl Thompson, Mark Russel, Phil Nurse, Bobby Beckles, Ronnie Green, Kevin And Michael Morris, Mick Mullaney, Trix March, Lee Chesters, Christian Di Poalo, Imran Khan, Daniel Hudson, Rich Smith"

Again, apologies for the huge amounts of text, I hope you didn't die of old age reading it all!

Stampy
5/06/2011 12:41am,
2 minutes of reading is all I request!

Cheers

Colin
5/06/2011 1:51am,
Welcome to bs.net, Stampy. Your first question is totally reasonable. I do have a few questions for you myself though, before I'd attempt to help with a judgement call.

1: What do you want to get out of training, ie: Are you interested in competing? If so, what ruleset?

2: Does experience appeal more to you, or enthusiasm? (note that these things are not mutually exclusive)

In your position, I am ALWAYS going to want to have a quick chat to both of these guys preferably in person (so I can see the gym too, etc) or at the very least, have a candid phone conversation asking such questions like:

A] do you guys do any sparring? what kind of sparring?
B] what grappling style do you have? (MMA was mentioned, in the case of "dragon's")
C] how many people show up to each class, etc..

Sometimes, more important than any of these questions though, is the feeling of the person's character. Some people will immediately show outstanding character qualities/traits and others will do the opposite. Sometimes my opinion of the instructor's character will make my other related decisions easy.

Stampy
5/06/2011 3:34am,
1: What do you want to get out of training, ie: Are you interested in competing? If so, what ruleset?

I doubt I will compete: it's more about the personal journey and setting goals that I'm interested in. I do want to spar hard though.

2: Does experience appeal more to you, or enthusiasm? (note that these things are not mutually exclusive)

If both guys are equally knowledgeable in their field, I'd take enthusiasm most times; motivation makes a huge difference.
Both experience and enthusiasm are important, but too little of one or the other would probably be detrimental, I guess.

In your position, I am ALWAYS going to want to have a quick chat to both of these guys preferably in person (so I can see the gym too, etc) or at the very least, have a candid phone conversation asking such questions like:

I totally plan on speaking to each guy, and popping along to watch a session if possible.
I just wanted to see if either of the guy's bio's set off any alarm bells from the get to, to save me wasting any time on a McDojo!

From what I understand, both schools have light/heavy sparring sessions (woot!)

So do both places seem (on paper) to be viable?

Anyway, thanks for the great input Colin, I really appreciate it

Stampy
5/07/2011 3:15pm,
Any other input would be much appreciated!

superangryfish
5/07/2011 3:41pm,

Hi and Welcome, the only one I would be wary of is the Dragons one, you say they offer MMA but I can't find that on their timetable only kickboxing and erm Ninjutsu.

But more importantly He mentions that he is a member of "British National Martial Arts Associations"

You also mentioned that you are in Derby and when you google "British National Martial Arts Associations" number 3 on the search results is this little gem:

http://www.basildonrecorder.co.uk/news/7989269.Martial_arts_guru_jailed_for_an_insurance_ scam/

A MARTIAL arts instructor has been jailed for three years after conning people out of more than £180,000 in a insurance scam.
Paul Griffin of Princes Avenue, Corringham, a 7th level Dan black belt, ran the British National Martial Arts Association from his home.
But Griffin, who has trained several martial arts champions and been involved in television shows about the sport, was the brains behind a four-year long con.
He began organising insurance for members of the Derby-based Amateur Martial Association in 2001.
The insurance is required by law for people taking part in the sport in case they or anyone they fight is seriously injured.
But between 2001 and 2004, instead of arranging full insurance cover for the association’s 60,000 or more members, he didn’t bother and pocketed the cash.
Griffin pocketed £182,386 in fees and his scam meant thousands of people taking part in the sport would not have been insured if they caused or suffered serious injury.
Derby Crown Court heard the association became suspicious of Griffin after members made several queries about their insurance policies.
The AMA also made several unsuccessful attempted to contact him.
They called in police and Griffin’s con was uncovered.
After a complex four-year investigation Griffin finally pleaded guilty to theft and was jailed for three years.
Investigating officer Sgt Matt Carson of Derbyshire police welcomed the sentence.
He said: “This was a long and laborious case to prove, so it is satisfying the people involved now have at least some sort of sense of justice. One of the biggest challenges was going through all the data we received and recovered.
“This included all the information and details of members of the AMA that had been sent through to Griffin to be underwritten.
“This was a mammoth task as all the records were held on hard copy and had to be inputted one by one. An analysis then had to be done to see who was and wasn’t covered.
“The most worrying thing about the case was that of the 63,369 members put through by the AMA to Griffin, 60,281 were not insured or insured correctly, which meant they had no cover at all.”
Judge Robert Brown said Griffin’s actions had put thousands of martial arts students and instructors at serious risk of injury for which they would not be covered.

So to sum up:

1.Dragons guy member of british national martial arts
2.Guy who ran of british national marts arts from his house goes to prison for massive fraud
3.All of this happening in Derby

Now I am of course not suggesting the dragons guy had anything to do with this however a bit of google fu ie MMA and Derby, i found a lot more than you mentioned.

Omega Supreme
5/07/2011 4:14pm,

Dorky uniforms from an instructor that uses a free website service? Go with Sai's. I like judging books by their covers.

Nefron
5/07/2011 4:16pm,
Charlotte Hallas was born March 1993 and was introduced to Muay Thai boxing in 2001 by her dad who had previously been a student of Sai's. At the age of 8 she obtained her first grading, over the period of the next four years she had completed all 10 gradings. On the 16th December 2006 Charlotte became the youngest Muay Thai instructor in the Midlands.
Since this time she has continued to assist with teaching the junnior classes with fellow instructors Sean and Steve Clarke.
Charlotte feels she has not only learnt the art of Muay Thai but also gained a great amount of self confidence which has helped her with life in general. Charlotte wishes to continue teaching Muay Thai in the future and also continue her studies into University to achieve a career in teaching or sports therapy.

http://www.studio2000.uk.com/images/p018_1_01.png

Neither gym sits well with me.

Nefron
5/07/2011 4:19pm,
Sai seems to have a bunch of active fighters training there. The choice is pretty obvious now.

Stampy
5/07/2011 4:33pm,
Cheers guys!

I always got the impression that Sai's was better established and respected, but was being swayed by the amount of options offered at Dragons

Still undecided, though Dragons is taking quite a beating right now from your comments

Stampy
5/07/2011 6:42pm,
Some extra info regarding the $$ involved at each place

Prices:

Studio2000 is £52 ($85) for 3 lessons per month

Dragons is £60 ($98) for access to all lessons and the gym per month

Colin
5/08/2011 2:35am,
move to another town.
go train at straight blast gym.
???
profit

Stampy
5/08/2011 2:48am,
move to another town.
go train at straight blast gym.
???
profit
Sounds ideal, but not going to happen in the real world

Colin
5/08/2011 3:11am,
Sure, I knew this even before I posted it.. Just looks now at this point like your 'choice' is the just choosing lesser of two evils.

Stampy
5/08/2011 3:46am,
Sure, I knew this even before I posted it.. Just looks now at this point like your 'choice' is the just choosing lesser of two evils.

Fair point, and pretty true, sadly

In all seriousness, the nearest "town" with a truly great gym is the place where Paul Daley and Dan Hardy train (Nottingham), but the travel alone would probably double my costs

Maybe I need a rethink!