PDA

View Full Version : Physical disadvantages in the MA.

Pages : [1] 2

Ronin
3/16/2004 8:04am,
Physical disadvantages in the MA

Now, as some/most of you know, I am a short fucker, only 5-6 and 165lbs, strong, yes, fast, very, BUT, I have stubby legs, 30" inseam ( more or less) and 25" thighs.
Not the best combination to apply a triangle choke for example, but great for low kicks and arm bars.
Because of my physical “disadvantages” I have had to put in perspective certain things, certain techniques.
The triangle choke, I CAN’T do the text book application on ALL people, I can’t hook my foot under the crook of the knee on the opposite leg, especially on “bulky individuals.
The guard, I can apply it only on some individuals ( the close guard is what I am referring to).
Bulky individuals make it difficult to wrap and lock my legs, so I have to apply open guards or half guards. Now since I don’t like to fight from the guard that much, its ok.
The guard is Not as effective for me because of my stubby legs, I have fought big guys (6-4, 6-6 and 6-7) and even in my guard they CAN hit me because of their reach advantage, granted I usually end up arm barring them, still, NOT the best place to be for me, when fighting a guy that is a foot taller and outweighs me by 100lbs.

Now, because I am an “infighter” and I like to grab and throw, my height is NOT a disadvantage for me, its actually an asset. My arms are “stubby” too, I have over 16" arms with a reach of 27-28", which is fine for what I like to do, hooks, uppercuts, arm bars and chokes.

What about you guys?

PizDoff
3/16/2004 8:12am,
My longer neck, and actual presence of a neck allows me to be choked out easier.
My long lanky injured limbs allow them to be locked easier.

My height raises my CoG, which allows midgets to attack my groin and/or throw me.
I'm not scared of Portugeeks like ronin69 though.

drunkenj
3/16/2004 8:16am,
i have quite a long neck, which sucks..... makes me comparitavely easy to strangle

Ronin
3/16/2004 8:20am,
Originally posted by PizDoff
My longer neck, and actual presence of a neck allows me to be choked out easier.
My long lanky injured limbs allow them to be locked easier.

My height raises my CoG, which allows midgets to attack my groin and/or throw me.
I'm not scared of Portugeeks like ronin69 though.

keep it up monkey boy !! :p

PizDoff
3/16/2004 8:31am,
Viagara helps me keep it up.

Ronin
3/16/2004 8:42am,
And, obviously, delusional

Osu
3/16/2004 8:43am,
I'm about 6'5, which is a nice advantage in striking arts, but I think in grappling that would be a disadvantage because I feel it makes me a bit less flexible and fast (especially on the ground).

Ronin
3/16/2004 8:46am,
Check out Jon Blumming and Chris Doleman, both big boys and great grapplers.

Osu
3/16/2004 8:50am,
I know, but that doesn't mean that it's not a disadvantage, right?

Ronin
3/16/2004 8:52am,
Why would YOU think of it as a "disadvantage" ?

Osu
3/16/2004 9:01am,
Because I think it makes me less flexibile and less fast. Therefore less mobile and slower in turning around on the ground. But since I'm not a grappler...correct me if I'm wrong.

Ronin
3/16/2004 9:20am,
Originally posted by Edge
Seriously, though, I'm an average height, faster than I am strong. I feel very comfortable learning how to grapple and throw. Just not as heavy as I would like to be, hopefully strength will be improved alongside my weight gains.

Don't forget all the crack you smoke dulls pain.

Ronin
3/16/2004 9:23am,
Originally posted by Osu
Because I think it makes me less flexibile and less fast. Therefore less mobile and slower in turning around on the ground. But since I'm not a grappler...correct me if I'm wrong.

That maybe so, IF you are overly HEAVY for your size, but it doesn't have much to do with your height.
Granted at 6-5, infighting would not be MY first choice, BUT, it doesn't mean that you are at a disadvantage when it comes to grappling.
Unless you are overly heavy for your height.

loast
3/16/2004 10:39am,
My biggest problem is my eyesight. Knock off my glasses and I become a much easier target.

MaverickZ
3/16/2004 11:03am,
i had asthma, so i've had to compensate by working on efficiency of movement and energy conservation.

virtual_mantis
3/16/2004 11:04am,
I'm 5'11'' and 183 lbs. So I guess I'm about average maybe a little bigger. I'm athletic so I can move pretty good, my flexibility is improving. My weakness would have to be lack of experience and my shitty left knee. I've only been at it for 2 years now and have just recently decided to cross train this summer.

I like to fight inside with a lot of low kicks and foot traps.