PDA

View Full Version : Got my arse whipped by amateur boxer!

Pages : [1] 2

DARKSON
3/15/2004 11:58am,
I just joined a boxing gym in Kingsland, GA so that my 13yr old nephew and I could learn to box. I have sparred with a few boxers before (one pro) and have done well under boxing rules. I owend with kicking rules of course.

This guy is a amateur only 20lb heavier, and he beat me up good. He was way out of my league boxing. I could not hit him and he hit me at will, which was with great frequency.

We did 3, 3min rounds. At the end of the last round I got a take down and was about to give him a little G-n-P but remembered that we were boxing only.:D

This guy was the best boxer I had been in the ring with.

The coaches are saying that I have boxing potential and that they can have me ring ready in 4 months. They say i have good handspeed but poor foot work to capitalize on my speed. They blame the Muay Thai stance.

Then they tell me that Muay Thai and BJJ suck and I should just focus on boxing. I of course tell them that I will choke them all to death one by one, we all laugh and go back to training.:D

shironinja
3/15/2004 12:07pm,
Nothing increases the Respect-O-Meter for a style like taking a loss.

Stick
3/15/2004 12:07pm,
Originally posted by DARKSON
Then they tell me that Muay Thai and BJJ suck and I should just focus on boxing. I of course tell them that I will choke them all to death one by one, we all laugh and go back to training.:D [/B]

You tell those damn, dirty pugalists!

^_^

Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you, good luck, try not to lose too many brain cells.

garbanzo
3/15/2004 12:15pm,
Don't worry about the brain cells; you've got millions.

Pandinha
3/15/2004 12:28pm,
Posts like these Darkson, only increase my need to train in boxing.

DARKSON
3/15/2004 12:35pm,
It's good stuff man. They were tellng me to do alot of stuff that I think would get me stompped in Kickboxing or MMA; but yall already knew that. I just want to take what I can form it and add it to my game. Plus keep my nephew out of trouble.

It's free to train there.

I would like to do a few amateur boxing bouts but I really want to add it to my Muay Thai & eventually MMA when I do get in the cage.

Kiozz
3/15/2004 12:48pm,
Go ahead with a few amateur bout Darkson. It's a real good atmosphere and you get to know a tonn of fine people.
Great job

Ronin
3/15/2004 12:52pm,
What they say is true, many MT and kick boxer have lousy foot work.
Its because of the kicking and, in the case of MT, their fucked up stance and the way the throw their WIDE ASS round kick. Then again, no one has ever said to train MT for your hands.
MT boxers are notorious for having lousy punching.
The stand is a big part of it.
Some of the best learing experiences I had was when I was an amat. boxer.
It would only make you a better fighter, you have nothing to lose.

Pandinha
3/15/2004 12:55pm,
It's good stuff man. They were tellng me to do alot of stuff that I think would get me stompped in Kickboxing or MMA; but yall already knew that. I just want to take what I can form it and add it to my game. Plus keep my nephew out of trouble.

It's free to train there.

I would like to do a few amateur boxing bouts but I really want to add it to my Muay Thai & eventually MMA when I do get in the cage.

I have no excuse, it's 5 bucks a month to train. Gonna go tonight. :)

DARKSON
3/15/2004 1:06pm,
Originally posted by ronin69
What they say is true, many MT and kick boxer have lousy foot work.
Its because of the kicking and, in the case of MT, their fucked up stance and the way the throw their WIDE ASS round kick.

This is one of my biggest concerns Ronin. I want to be a more effective puncher but I fear that if I adopt a boxing stance (putting my lead leg out front and doing to much slipping and bobbing and weaving) that when I get back in the Muay Thai ring I will be vulnerable to WIDE ASS Thai kicks. Which are notorious for crushing the limbs of good boxers.

I guess I will make it all work in sparring and see what I end up with.

shironinja
3/15/2004 1:16pm,
I fear that if I adopt a boxing stance (putting my lead leg out front and doing to much slipping and bobbing and weaving) that when I get back in the Muay Thai ring I will be vulnerable to WIDE ASS Thai kicks. Which are notorious for crushing the limbs of good boxers. I've only been messing with boxing for a few months but it's really given me some good counsel so far -- I get hit in the head less!!!

I -do- notice I prefer to stay in one stance more frequently than I used to but I'm unsure what effect this will have on me overall for kickboxing (the path I'm heading down as I transition out of TKD).

As long as you continue to train the MT I believe you will only notice good things happen...

WhiteShark
3/15/2004 1:17pm,
Gratuitous Gym pimping to follow:

Take a look at my coaches highlight reel (http://shidokan-atlanta.com/video.html) he has a solid boxing background and manages to make the boxing stance work in MT. Notice the very difference stance from his Thai opponent in the first MT fight. The only change I usually need to make is shortening the boxing stance enough to still block leg kicks. But I constantly get ragged for my Frankenstien footwork so I might not be an authority ;)

shironinja
3/15/2004 1:20pm,
Originally posted by Anthony
I have no excuse, it's 5 bucks a month to train. Gonna go tonight. :) What?!! I thought you "don't do" standup!!! Hahah!!

I want to hear how the class goes tonight.

nasty_totoro
3/15/2004 1:26pm,
Originally posted by Anthony
I have no excuse, it's 5 bucks a month to train. Gonna go tonight. :)

where are you going?

Pandinha
3/15/2004 3:15pm,
I'm gonna train with an old salt up here in boonyville abbotsford.

:)

Ronin
3/15/2004 3:26pm,
One of the ways I was taught to defend against a low kick to the lead leg, is to move in and punch the guy doing the kicking.
Simple, effective, no-nonsense.