PDA

View Full Version : How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

BKR
4/10/2011 5:11pm,
C'mon kids...

YMAS is supposed to go from Aiki-otoshi, to impacted anal glands. NOT the other way around.

Being thrown like that enough can lead to impacted anal glands, just ask Judoka_UK.

There, feel better now?

Ben

judoka_uk
4/10/2011 5:15pm,
Q:
Exactly what sort of background and qualifications would one need to start teaching break falls? (the day I move to Japan is the day I start using Japanese terminology when there are perfectly serviceable English words availible)

Its not just about being able to breakfall, but being able to spot, diagnose and correct breakfall errors. One of the dan grades who's getting in coaching practice so when I and others leave there's a solid cadre of people who know how to coach left behind. Was taking some beginners through breakfalls, I was watching matside.

They were moving down the mat doing yoko ukemi and doing breakfalls with their elbows pointing down after two runs down the mat some were rubbing their elbows. I had to catch the guy coaching and quietly let him know to remind the beginners to rotate their elbows out when they breakfall. As he hadn't noticed what they were doing and hadn't remember to stress the point when teaching.

He makes the point, they correct, no more bruised elbows.

Simple basic mistake that can be easily overlooked, but left uncorrected leads to major chance of injury and long term painfull and ineffective ukemi.

judoka_uk
4/10/2011 5:16pm,
Being thrown like that enough can lead to impacted anal glands, just ask Judoka_UK.

There, feel better now?

Ben
Someone's butthurt that I questioned the angle of their penis.

BKR
4/10/2011 5:23pm,
Someone's butthurt that I questioned the angle of their penis.

LOL, the angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the heat of the meat.

Ben

judoka_uk
4/10/2011 5:30pm,

Ben
Come on now, your ancestors were German. There's no way you're smuggling around some spicy mediterranean chorizo in your levis.

Colin
4/10/2011 11:41pm,
Oh, and Colin, I'll have to downgrade your rating to a 4 overall considering the revelation (not too big a surprise) you really don't know much about ukemi. Or aikido, or judo.

Ben

This is a pretty unfair comment.
Rating or no rating? I'm really not too fussed about - though you claim I know next to nothing about Ukemi?

Ignorami
4/11/2011 1:07am,

Ben

Lol... and Max Factor Knacker-Lacquer will add muster to your cluster.

Sang
4/11/2011 1:35am,
I fractured both my elbows last year getting thrown in MT clinch training, a career ending injury that probably wouldn't have occurred if we'd been taught how to break fall properly.

I can see the benefit of having someone on hand to teach break falls to an MMA or MT class, i just don't think an Aikido guy is right for the job. Why have a coach at the gym who can only teach people how to fall when you could have a coach who can teach people how to fall and throw (judo).

Colin
4/11/2011 1:55am,
Sang, I tend to agree with you.
I do feel that Judo training is preferable to Ukemi only training.
If none of the guys doing Judo are doing MT at an individual gym though - is there an opportunity for an ex-aikidoka?

Sang
4/11/2011 2:25am,
I don't think there is an opportunity for an Aikidoka to make money in this method but there is for a gym member to pass on his previously learnt skills to the ever evolving gym culture.

We've had TKD guys come in and teach some kicks, a Kung Fu guy teach some catch and dump variations and a wrestler way back taught me how to use the head as another arm in the clinch. None of these guys were paid for their help though and every coach I've trained under would laugh in the Aikidoka's face who suggested they could teach their fighters how to fall for a small fee.

Colin
4/11/2011 2:43am,
I think you're probably right Sang.
For what it's worth, I've never charged money for any previous instruction, (I have taught many of my friends how to play guitar, for example), and if I ended up running a pilot course in my current gym, I wouldn't be charging for that, either.

I did previously mention financial advantage in the thread, and that part of the argument looks pretty silly now :)

DCS
4/11/2011 3:02am,
I fractured both my elbows last year getting thrown in MT clinch training, a career ending injury that probably wouldn't have occurred if we'd been taught how to break fall properly.
Sorry to hear that.

I can see the benefit of having someone on hand to teach break falls to an MMA or MT class, i just don't think an Aikido guy is right for the job. Why have a coach at the gym who can only teach people how to throw themselves when you could have a coach who can teach people how to fall and throw (judo).
Fixed.

War Wizard
4/11/2011 10:44am,
Off Topic - This talk about Muay Thai and Judo has me thinking, what would that look like in an MMA type setting? It's frequently mentioned that Muay Thai and BJJ are a great combo, as are Boxing and Judo, but what about Muay Thai and Judo? Shame there's not a MT place nearby for me to test it out...

judoka_uk
4/11/2011 10:58am,
I trained Muay Thai as a striking art when I was dabbling in MMA and was thinking of working towards a fight.

My game plan was take the striking and range closing to clinch of Muay Thai and then throw them and gnp.

I only trained Muay Thai and MMA for a few months though. So the actual product was crappy jab, crappy jab, sloppy low kick, cappy jab, retard rush, clinch, Harai goshi, get mount whilst they're still trying to work out what has happened and then tapy-tapy gnp.

The only flaw in this world conquering strategy is when they evade the retard rush or the retard rush doesn't let you get a decent clinch and they manage to slip out before you have control. Then it becomes me chasing them around the mat whilst being hit in the face.

Sang
4/11/2011 11:36am,
I'm having a world of fun combining muay thai clinch work with no gi takedowns at this mma gym. Smaller gloves, endless clinching without ref breaking and the removal of archaic MT takedown rules like 'no boot to boot sweeps' makes for a hell of a lot of fun.

Personally i would love to see a thai boxer with good leg kicks and authentic clinch skills (extremely rare in the western world) combined with high level judo skills compete in mma.

Colin; i don't have a problem with what you are doing, imo it is no different from a gym regular with a TKD background showing guys how to do spinning back kicks. Its ok as long as the TKD guy knows wtf he is doing.

i need to see videos of you being slammed, thrown and tripped under realistic conditions such as *suprise suplex on ice!* and *Colin ges Harai Goshi'd off a moving vehicle* before i can give your teaching the green light.

Colin
4/11/2011 8:32pm,
I need to see videos of you being slammed, thrown and tripped under realistic conditions such as *suprise suplex on ice!* and *Colin ges Harai Goshi'd off a moving vehicle* before i can give your teaching the green light.

This would be worth doing just for the awesomeness of it. I probably WON'T do anything like this, but it would definitely be AWESOME :D