PDA

View Full Version : How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

judoka_uk
4/10/2011 12:08pm,
Impacted anal glands, very messy business!

Ben
I know things must get lonely up their in the cold American north, but I would have thought you could keep things buttoned up until the wife gets there. Although I guess it explains why you started a small holding.

BKR
4/10/2011 12:13pm,
I know things must get lonely up their in the cold American north, but I would have thought you could keep things buttoned up until the wife gets there. Although I guess it explains why you started a small holding.

LOL, nice try, but your lack of farm experience and dog ownership is showing. Never had to clear impacted anal glands on your dog? Make sure you stand to one side and hold your breath, is all I can say.

Only pussies take their dogs to the vet for that kind of crap.

Ben

BKR
4/10/2011 12:15pm,
Oh, and Colin, I'll have to downgrade your rating to a 4 overall considering the revelation (not too big a surprise) you really don't know much about ukemi. Or aikido, or judo.

Ben

judoka_uk
4/10/2011 12:20pm,
LOL, nice try, but your lack of farm experience and dog ownership is showing. Never had to clear impacted anal glands on your dog? Make sure you stand to one side and hold your breath, is all I can say.

Only pussies take their dogs to the vet for that kind of crap.

Ben
How do you 'clear the passage' and stand to the side at the same time? Do you suffer from a pronounced form of Peyronie's, its quit common in white males over 40, I hear?

BKR
4/10/2011 12:30pm,
How do you 'clear the passage' and stand to the side at the same time? Do you suffer from a pronounced form of Peyronie's, its quit common in white males over 40, I hear?

I see you do have experience at clearing passages and Peronie's syndrome. And your fascination of my penis and it's shape is quite disturbing, how long has this been an issue for you?

Your lack of dog ownership experience is showing, so I'll have to give you a 2 for this effort.

Ben

DCS
4/10/2011 12:36pm,
Cant find any video. Basicly it consists of riding a stationary bike while holding your breath.
I was imagining something dirtier...you know. Because the depravation.

gregaquaman
4/10/2011 12:46pm,
I was imagining something dirtier...you know. Because the depravation.
http://randomoverload.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2d5858541diation.jpg.jpg

DCS
4/10/2011 12:54pm,
(In addition, what he's doing is called ad hominem. He's not trying to attack the argument, rather the guy who put the argument together. This is YMAS, after all.)

Argument? I haven't seen anything worth that name.

OTOH,

STFU N00B and go train until you have something to teach!!!

Something in this line would be an ad hominem.

But that not my style.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
4/10/2011 1:20pm,
@Colin: it was never my plan/intention to attack you, just to warn you that there's a small catch when you use ukemi between Aikido and Judo.

I like the idea of ukemi teachings with arts that nowadays don't have ukemi or don't have a codified ukemi training. But the most important part I think is that the ukemi has to be adapted to the Martial Art/Combat Sport and noy the other way around.

a few examples to explain the adding of a codified ukemi:
- English Boxing: 5 minutes tops in a 2 hour training and not more than falling left, right, back, front and forward roll without being thrown by a tori. That's all that they are going to need to practise boxing safely.
- Muay Thai: 20 min in a 2 hour training of decent ukemi. I always found the throws in Judo where uke was launched over a leg more difficult to perform a breakfall on (and more painfull) than the throws where uke was guided over tori's hip or shoulder. Since throws over the leg are the only ones in Muay Thai and canvas (= boxing ring floor) is harder than a tatami, a constant ukemi training would be beneficial.
- Wrestling: Let them please take over the codified ukemi training of Judo, because I really get the impression that it's nowadays a trial and error process. With throws that mostly are different in name only with their Judo counterparts a trial and error approach to ukemi is the wrong method if you want to practise Wrestling without too many problems once you have passed the age of 22.
- BJJ: every throw/takedown of Judo and Wrestling are legit, yet ukemi is so many times completely neglected that we aren't even speaking of trial and error approach, but "survive impact on competition" approach. A full Judo ukemi training should be a standard part of each BJJ class.

In the competition world today "Judo-esque" throws are the standard, so ukemi should be "Judo-esque". Ukemi has to adapt itself to the throws, not vice versa.

In the beginning when I came to Bullshido I thought that my chodan in Hapkido was a waste of time and money and I had the same idea of Aikido. I thought that Ueshiba must have been one of the greatest pansies around for creating Aikido, yet DCS showed me some fine reading and I had to re-evaluate my thinking over Aikido and Ueshiba.
From the reading I came to my conclusion that Ueshiba was in his younger times an adversary that you couldn't take for granted and that he created Aikido as a superset to complete an already skillset of grappling. The fact that Ueshiba's first students were already decent fighters before they started Aikido validates for me this theory.
Also when you have students that already have a delivery system, you can afford to drill technique without incorperating randori standard in the lessons. Most students would try the techniques in randori after class.

It only started to go wrong with Aikido when newer generations of students without any previous Martial Art/Combat Sport training started doing it and eventually became instructors. So creating an Aikido school where the minimum requierement is shodan in Judo would benefit Aikido in general. Such students could make any form of Aikido (Aikikai, Nishio, Yoshinkan, Yoseikan and Shodokan) and Hapkido work.

DCS
4/10/2011 1:31pm,
I have to say it again.

Move to Brazil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2HPJpALVQ

BKR
4/10/2011 1:48pm,
I have to say it again.

Move to Brazil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2HPJpALVQ

Nice Sukui Nage at the first.

DCS
4/10/2011 2:04pm,
Nice Sukui Nage at the first.

We call it aiki otoshi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF7QhNLUzQc

BKR
4/10/2011 2:51pm,
Nice, I think it's a technique from various koryu. I've found a Takenouchi Ryu video with the same technique being used by guys grappling in armor.

Ben

Ignorami
4/10/2011 3:57pm,
C'mon kids...

YMAS is supposed to go from Aiki-otoshi, to impacted anal glands. NOT the other way around.

Oonjuk
4/10/2011 4:10pm,
C'mon kids...

YMAS is supposed to go from Aiki-otoshi, to impacted anal glands. NOT the other way around.
**** happens.

Vince Tortelli
4/10/2011 4:58pm,
Q:
Exactly what sort of background and qualifications would one need to start teaching break falls? (the day I move to Japan is the day I start using Japanese terminology when there are perfectly serviceable English words availible)

If I've learned anything of value in my forays into Han Mu Do, pro wrestling, and Judo it was how to fall without injuring myself. In Real Life, I've used those moves more than anything I ever learned in BJJ, considering I've fallen off horses, tripped over tile floors, slipped on tree roots, stumbled over my own feet, and fallen out of (parked) trucks far more often than I've been in str33t f34ts.