PDA

View Full Version : How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Oonjuk
4/09/2011 5:38pm,
@Colin: IMO, you should just go ahead and do a pilot ukemi class for volunteers with some form of evaluation method in the end (follow up survey, or get a judo guy[YOU] to throw all the participants before and after the seminar ;), etc). You have a hypothesis, and I think it is time you do the experiment. I would participate the class if it was in NYC or NJ but your profile says you're far far away in the land of Tasmanian Devils.

But in general, I think just adding body conditioning to Aikido will eliminate the most Aiki-pansies. Although I am afraid of the void we'll be left with in the dojo/gym after that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KShsZ1o1hQI

I LIKE his Aikido.

Oonjuk
4/09/2011 5:41pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8i9N3Mqkdo
Why stop at butt drags when we can do the butt-walk?

judoka_uk
4/09/2011 5:48pm,
Can we please get a moratorium on all the Kaza ute kai videos, because pretty much everyone of them sucks. Much like the Brian Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84aXkA3e7g) and Alabhama Judo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkqmG4QY4Q) videos.

I get serious abdominal pains every time I have to watch them and my coach ritual kills a small child as penance for watching them, so please, think of the children, think of the children!

Oonjuk
4/09/2011 5:55pm,
I get serious abdominal pains every time I have to watch them and my coach ritual kills a small child as penance for watching them, so please, think of the children, think of the children!
Now, now... with your hand on your heart, how many children died for your guilty pleasure my good sir? ;)

judoka_uk
4/09/2011 5:59pm,
Now, now... with your hand on your heart, how many children died for your guilty pleasure my good sir? ;)
They were mainly black and foreign so they don't count.

DCS
4/09/2011 6:04pm,
It's american judo. What did you expect?

Lindz
4/09/2011 6:52pm,
Can we please get a moratorium on all the Kaza ute kai videos, because pretty much everyone of them sucks. Much like the Brian Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84aXkA3e7g)... videos.

What's wrong with his stuff? He's usually in the top 5 results when you youtube search for any gokyo nage waza. Even sadder is that so's the akban wiki.

Dak
4/09/2011 7:45pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8i9N3Mqkdo

if he was more careful about wiping he wouldnt need this drill.

Colin
4/09/2011 8:16pm,
@Colin: IMO, you should just go ahead and do a pilot ukemi class for volunteers with some form of evaluation method in the end (follow up survey, or get a judo guy[YOU] to throw all the participants before and after the seminar ;), etc). You have a hypothesis, and I think it is time you do the experiment. I would participate the class if it was in NYC or NJ but your profile says you're far far away in the land of Tasmanian Devils.

But in general, I think just adding body conditioning to Aikido will eliminate the most Aiki-pansies. Although I am afraid of the void we'll be left with in the dojo/gym after that...

I LIKE his Aikido.

I have little intention of retaining (or caring about in any fashion) Aikinage.
I may have done Aikido for eight years, but that all finished seven years ago.

As for running a pilot ukemi course for my current colleagues, I think there is value in this - in fact, it was my original idea to start such a course, that led to me posting about the idea in this thread ^^.

DCS
4/09/2011 8:26pm,

As for running a pilot ukemi course for my current colleagues, I think there is value in this - in fact, it was my original idea to start such a course, that led to me posting about the idea in this thread ^^.

Really, what are you qualifications to teach ukemi in a MMA gym?

Eight years of a shadowy aikido style (from 16 to 24 years old) not having training in the last 7? How many years of Judo/Jits/Grappling?

Seriously, WTF?

Colin
4/09/2011 8:34pm,
What are my qualifications in Aikido?
I'm a 6th kyu ^_^
(Judo is 2 years after the Aikido finished)
My grappling experience mostly comes from that 2 year period.

In a website that prides itself on stringent requirements, it's pretty amazing how far such a conversation can go before such issues are raised :)

To try and target more accurately the core of your comment - what's special about me that should be teaching Ukemi? Nothing. Nothing at all.
Am I qualified to teach Ukemi? (possibly? what kind of qualification do you need?)

If it was so long ago when I did Aikido (and still pretty long since I used to to Judo, too) Why do I feel that I can teach Ukemi?

Well, I'm pretty damn good at ukemi.

gregaquaman
4/09/2011 10:03pm,
Really, what are you qualifications to teach ukemi in a MMA gym?

Eight years of a shadowy aikido style (from 16 to 24 years old) not having training in the last 7? How many years of Judo/Jits/Grappling?

Seriously, WTF?

He is teaching people to fall over not fight MMA I do not see the problem.

I have a free dive instructor who is teaching me oxygen depravation training. He cannot fight his way out of a paper bag.

Swims good though.

Oonjuk
4/10/2011 12:24am,

I think you might have misunderstood my second paragraph, it was only meant to make fun of Aiki-pansies :) I agree with you about not retaining Aikinage.
PS: I think your ukemi class will be a great success. I had to teach few muay thai guys and boxers how to ukemi because they wanted to participate in the hipthrow+takedown session, and I think there's definitely a demand for ukemi.

Colin
4/10/2011 1:12am,
Furthermore - in Aikido (as it is with many other arts) there are (in my opinion) two instructors out the front, when techniques are being demonstrated. Tori and Uke. Tori is teaching Nage, Uke is teaching Ukemi. Following this logic, I can claim that I have already taught Ukemi for several years, too.

Ignorami
4/10/2011 3:15am,
I like this thread better.

No, wait, the other one.

No, this one.... AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! I can't decide. Where's the government to tell me what to do when I need them?

judoka_uk
4/10/2011 5:18am,
What's wrong with his stuff? He's usually in the top 5 results when you youtube search for any gokyo nage waza. Even sadder is that so's the akban wiki.
There's your answer.

Also,

As posted on JF by Hedgehogey

Steven Seagull vs some Judo black belt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AssByvGVx6s