PDA

View Full Version : How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Yoj
4/08/2011 6:27pm,
The trouble is colin, an akidoka could do endless sessions of ukemi, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they it wasn't part of the plan, ukemi, like everything, needs to be alive.

There is another kind of aikidoka that do fair better, they train in a compliant but rough and hard manner, and acquire injuries, such clubs are rare, and I've only met a few guys that do it, and not with the regular class. These guys handle themselves ok, not because they have great delivery system, or because they train properly alive, but during the course of training they are used to being hit, and dont get phased by it. but most folks dont want that experience, or, they would have done something else. But thats where the success stories come from I think, guys that like it rough, fnar.

Colin
4/08/2011 6:45pm,
The trouble is colin, a professional fighter could do endless sessions of ukemi, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they it wasn't part of the plan, ukemi, like everything, needs to be alive.

The trouble is colin, a professional writer could do endless sessions of typewriting, walk out of the studio on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they it wasn't part of the plan, typewriting, like everything, needs to be alive.

The trouble is colin, a Native Indonesian could do endless sessions of haggling, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their wrist or shoulder, because they couldn't find a bargain, shopping, like everything, needs to be alive.

The trouble is colin, an Orthodox Jew could do endless sessions of Torah Study, walk out of the dojo on a winters day, slip, put their hand out and snap their neck, because they convinced themselves that g-d would punish them, Torah Study, like everything, needs to be alive.

Yoj - Typically I like your cynical style of posting, and it is generally formidable enough to dispense with half-witted trolls, but you're going to have to mount a more serious argument addressing a few of my premises if you want your opinion to have an impact on this argument.

TaeBo_Master
4/08/2011 6:58pm,
2.2: There are no significant amount of Aikidoka emerging with any success in Professional MMA

Because your post clearly indicates you appreciate intelligence and correctness (and I am an unashamed grammar-whore), I feel I should point out that you should have said "There is no significant amount...". While the word "amount" usually refers to multiple things, the word itself is singular, and therefore takes a singular verb.

Colin
4/08/2011 7:05pm,
Thanks for drawing attention to it, it's definitely an awkward sentence.
Perhaps there is a better way of putting it altogether:

2.2: No Aikidoka are emerging in significant numbers with any success in professional MMA.

TaeBo_Master
4/08/2011 7:10pm,
Or, even more simply, "Aikidoka have not demonstrated significant success in MMA"

Yoj
4/08/2011 7:57pm,
Yoj - Typically I like your cynical style of posting, and it is generally formidable enough to dispense with half-witted trolls, but you're going to have to mount a more serious argument addressing a few of my premises if you want your opinion to have an impact on this argument.

I was going to, but you made conclusions with anecdotes, i presented a scenario instead of addressing each point, however, if you want to consider an alternate angle, skills that are usable in life are those which become subconscious processes, take driving, as a learner, everything is an effort, with real experience, a lot of the processes are automated and the conscious mind is left having to only deal with an overview of the whole, this is how we become adept at things. We dont fully understand it, but thats the model. in terms of compliant ukemi, there is never a need for it to become a subconscious act, and for aikidoka, it's still something they engage in order to do. Judoka, dont have that problem, because it happens at random times, forcing it to become a natural response. i suspect that model is also at the basis of alive training.

Dak
4/08/2011 8:11pm,
i've always considered starting aikido, just to kill time on the weekends. The inner ninja in me loves that stuff, but my inner bullshido won't let me go any lower then aikido.

also aikido is the bomb because of 0:35 onward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdnizRcPls

who doesnt want that?

Colin
4/08/2011 8:25pm,
also aikido is the bomb because of 0:35 onward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdnizRcPlswho doesnt want that?

WUT THe ****?

Yoj
4/08/2011 8:26pm,
That's aikido, at its most pointless.

Colin
4/08/2011 8:28pm,
More Like Aikidon't

judoka_uk
4/08/2011 8:34pm,
i

also Judo is the bomb because of 0:00 onward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNa4QkCuor8

who doesnt want that?
Yes, quite.

Kintanon
4/08/2011 8:39pm,
Typical class at Colin's "MMA" gym I assume.

Dak
4/08/2011 8:40pm,
Yes, quite.
well when you look at aikido through aiki-goggles, you see awesome.

sort of like beer goggles, except aiki-goggles don't get you slapped by women... oh wait...

Kintanon
4/08/2011 8:41pm,
Yes, quite.

I just saw a bunch of clumsy people falling down in that video. From this I draw the conclusion that Judo destroys your ability to stand upright under any circumstances.

Dak
4/08/2011 8:46pm,
I just saw a bunch of clumsy people falling down in that video. From this I draw the conclusion that Judo destroys your ability to stand upright under any circumstances.

for grappling to be grappling one must never be standing on both legs for more then 5 seconds. SCIENCE FACT

judoka_uk
4/08/2011 8:50pm,
And BJJ destroys your ability to do anything other than flop onto your butt and then rub it up and down on a mat, like a dog with an itchy arse.

I present to you the finest BJJ practicioner of our age:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04BInFE8Eec