PDA

View Full Version : How we can save Aikido: An honest opinion.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

DCS
4/14/2011 2:58pm,
In the other clip nage is Stefan Stenudd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Stenudd)

I'm starting to have serious doubts about Colin having any aikido experience. But as he is a nice and funny guy I'll let it go.

The only concern I have is about someone buying his "I've 8 years of aikido experience so I can teach proper ukemi" IRL. This is an accident waiting to happen. We're not talking about the "third leg of judo" here.

Ignorami
4/14/2011 3:10pm,
pssssffffst, "third leg" hur hur hur

BSONE
4/14/2011 3:41pm,
DCS, have you had the chance to train with Tissier?

Ignorami
4/14/2011 3:47pm,
I had the chance to train with Tissier in feb.

Passed it up to do a kali course the weekend after. Kali course got cancelled

Doh!

DCS
4/14/2011 3:47pm,
No, I've only trained with iwama style aikidoka.

I see you're in Cali. Are you going to attend to SF Aikido Project (http://www.aikidoproject.com/instructors.html)? It looks interesting.

BSONE
4/14/2011 3:55pm,
yes I go every year.

Im the uke with the red tape on the gi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZaczA2N2Xk

Colin
4/14/2011 6:56pm,
DCS: You remember me when we first met (on bs.net) all those years ago? Why would I come up with some fictitious Aikido background that didn't exist? Why make myself look like an Aikijoker if I never trained in Aikido.

I find your implication hurtful.

DCS
4/15/2011 6:48am,
Serious mode on

Hi Collin,

Sorry but hurting your feelings is not something was aiming for.

Let me explain:

When I wrote "I'm starting to have serious doubts about Colin having any aikido experience. " I meant you believe you practised aikido but I doubt what you practised was really aikido.

After looking around for info these last days about the style you practised (back in 2004 there was less info available in the net, I was less knowledgeable about the subject and my English was way poorer) I'm starting to think you practised something advertised under the name of aikido, but not aikido (the investigation is still in process).

Like that kid who tought he was training in Judo under Matt "third leg of Judo" Morton. Big surprise, the kid was not practising Judo.

I suspect you're in a similar situation and your belief about you having some aikido skills (ukemi in this case) is a false one.

Got my point?

Serious mode off/YMAS mode on:

Why make myself look like an Aikijoker if I never trained in Aikido.
Because

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6746675/You-are-dumb-Really-really-dumb.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Antoine-Dodson

judoka_uk
4/15/2011 7:01am,
my English was way poorer
Well its become pretty darn good, because I thought you were English.

Colin
4/15/2011 7:33am,
Hey DCS, I really appreciate your straightforward response, and I'm also not only prepared to accept your assertion, I'm wholeheartedly of the same conclusion. I got my back up because I assumed (incorrectly) that this was your overall assessment of my martial arts or current breakfalling level, and took it a bit to heart.

The letter that you showed me penned by Ueshiba himself discredited one of my core beliefs about the 'Aikido' system I trained in.

I became rather close to most of the people I trained with in the Aikido Association and would not like to offend any of them when I say: To call what they are doing on the mat the same thing as what I NOW understand to actually be a martial art, is a false predicate.

I kind of hinted at this earlier when I stated that I had an unsubstantiated theory that there were some decent Aikido dojo out there. I just haven't trained at one.

Much love,

~ Colin

DCS
4/15/2011 10:01am,
@ Colin,

I can't asess your current breakfalling level (or your teaching skills). I hope you are not thinking it being higher than what is in reality because thats the path that lead to avoidable accidents and injuries.

@ Judoka_uk,

You haven't heard me talking....

Colin
4/15/2011 10:36am,
@ DCS I think I have a pretty realistic assessment of my own current capabilities (six weeks of serious training 4-5 days a week in some serious rough and tumble with a background in basic **** ukemi, is what I'm basically at.) figure out what that amounts to yourself if you like.

In any case, there's no need for me to teach ukemi at my gym, or anywhere else, since basically every guy I train with is competent due to the component of the beginners course that they run.

I feel pretty confident in my own capacity to fall safely in a variety of situations, but my initial argument wasn't about myself or my ability to teach in any capacity.
The initial argument, and subsequent formal position still represent my views, but I do not make the claim that the 'Aikido' I studied has 'the r34L', or that the justification behind any competancy I have was the Aikido i learned. My actual argument is just theoretical, but it is based on training practices.

Please note that I'm not citing this six week period as my only valuable experience or relevant experience, I am citing this period as my personal testing period of my own competency level.

BKR
4/15/2011 1:23pm,
yes I go every year.

Im the uke with the red tape on the gi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZaczA2N2Xk

Any time I see someone labelled as "shihan" I cringe.

Some nice ukemi there, and interesting movements, some of which looked they might have some practical value. Aikido has some good stuff in it, but as in this video, some of it is kind of fantastical. I'd like to see him work with someone who can really punch/strike. He has nice looking tai sabaki.

Note, I'm not jamming on the "shihan", just giving my honest opinion.

Ben

Vieux Normand
4/15/2011 1:33pm,
Forgive me if this has been asked before, and--given the length and number of Aikido threads--it almost certainly has...but is there any footage of this being attempted/used on a noncompliant individual?

I'm aware of the theory behind the compliance: go with the technique or suffer a sprain/fracture/whatever, but has this been shown in a live-training/live-fighting situation?

DCS
4/15/2011 1:51pm,
Forgive me if this has been asked before, and--given the length and number of Aikido threads--it almost certainly has...but is there any footage of this being attempted/used on a noncompliant individual?
By "this" you mean aikido techniques, performed by aikidoka? Can you be more especific?

BKR
4/15/2011 2:23pm,
I've had aikido techniques done to me and I was being non compliant. That was years ago. They do work, if done correctly.

Ben