PDA

View Full Version : Low kicks for knife defense

Pages : [1] 2 3

crackhead
4/06/2011 2:13am,
So I was thinking today about unarmed knife defense. Ive read about the subject and alot of times authors seem to want you to try to grab the knife and such.

Then it occured to me, low kicks. Legs are longer than your arms, and you would be able to keep the attacker at bay. Plus a good round kick to the leg should be enough to get the attacker to drop his hands. Giving you a chance for a counter attack.

I would like to know what you guys think.

Robstafarian
4/06/2011 2:28am,
First strategy that came to mind (from the attacker's perspective):

Check low kick
Grab kicking leg
Stab/slash at any point along your leg I feel like

Note: Higher on the leg means more chance of lethality, but almost any point is going to keep you from running away.

That feels an awful like like writing Elmore from the other side of the aisle (so to speak), and I feel a fool for having done so, but why would you present so much of your plumbing to a knife-wielding attacker?

kenny_free
4/06/2011 4:18am,
^

Exactly my thought. I could not think of a time that the best method of "unarmed knife defense" is anything other than GTFO. If you were forced to engage them, and for some reason could not find an improvised weapon in "t3h str33tz" then probably arm dragging the knife arm and utilizing some form of judo or greco roman and then GTFO. Ala the russian two on one to a modified suplex or hip throw, followed by the 400 meter run to away from there.

Like_A_Boss
4/06/2011 4:29am,
Then it occured to me, low kicks. Legs are longer than your arms, and you would be able to keep the attacker at bay. Plus a good round kick to the leg should be enough to get the attacker to drop his hands. Giving you a chance for a counter attack.

Only in the movies little buddy, only in the movies.

http://retrodc.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/roadhouse_feature.jpg
Roadhouse!

Chili Pepper
4/06/2011 8:09am,
Legs are better used for footwork against the knife, either in evasion, or running the hell away.

Only after you've got a death-grip on the knife arm should you think about stomps and knee strikes.

Colin
4/06/2011 8:18am,
Legs are better used for footwork against the knife, either in evasion, or running the hell away.

Only after you've got a death-grip on the knife arm should you think about stomps and knee strikes.

this.

Boneless
4/06/2011 8:41am,
its good to think about it but,
I'd avice you to use your legs for running not kicking.

if fighting is the only option go for goin kicks,
leg kicks may take a couple of shots before they become effective.

gregaquaman
4/06/2011 9:42am,
A low kick against a knife is really no safer than a high kick. If the knife guy can reach a body part with his knife then he can cut you with it. I have heard theories that a kick will at least put your body out of danger but it is all pretty risky.

If you are going to try to strike somone who has a knife. I think the aim is to knock them out before they are really expecting you to go for them but If you screw it up then you are in trouble hence the obvious run away or get your own bigger badder weapon.

Devil
4/06/2011 9:59am,
Just run. Don't fantasize about how you would take out a knife-wielding attacker. It's just dangerous to think that way. Running is almost always an option.

"But what if this, what if that, what if, what if, what if?" Okay, just for the sake of conversation.... Suppose your kids are with you and you have to protect them. Tell them to run. Slow the guy down however you can until your family is safe. If you die, it's okay. You died protecting your family.

Or you can learn how to shoot and carry a firearm at all times. At least then your fantasies of thwarting attackers with shanks will have some basis in reality.

Permalost
4/06/2011 10:28am,
A low kick against a knife is really no safer than a high kick. If the knife guy can reach a body part with his knife then he can cut you with it. I have heard theories that a kick will at least put your body out of danger but it is all pretty risky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKqYkvmdkU
at 1 minute in, we see me getting kicked in the face when we both have knives. A solid kick like that will set you up for victory, while a kick to the leg is a lot less likely to be too disruptive.

Grey Owl
4/06/2011 10:50am,
You could always try it with your attacker armed with a felt tipped pen. Where they are able to mark you, they can cut you. It feels silly to do but illustrates how slim your chances actually are without being killed.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-306340144244288583#

This is an interesting take on the problem.

Robstafarian
4/06/2011 2:23pm,
at 1 minute in, we see me getting kicked in the face when we both have knives. A solid kick like that will set you up for victory, while a kick to the leg is a lot less likely to be too disruptive.
Would you agree with my supposition that the primary reason that worked, apart from range and stance, is that you both had knives?

My basic theory is this: if both parties have knives, potential counters become a much bigger deal for the attacker.

Permalost
4/06/2011 4:23pm,
Would you agree with my supposition that the primary reason that worked, apart from range and stance, is that you both had knives?

My basic theory is this: if both parties have knives, potential counters become a much bigger deal for the attacker.
I'd say the main reason that worked is because I was focusing on his knife, because you kind of have to since it's such a fast weapon that doesn't need to hit hard. It's easy to forget that they have three other limbs, and a kick to the face was the last thing I expected.

Vieux Normand
4/06/2011 9:06pm,
Ignore the following--it just won't work at all (except for me):

If, for whatever reason, you can't GTFO, go hard 'n' fast the opposite way:

Close distance right away and pound his face with your best-practised boxing combo.

Then, when he's on queer street (if still standing), "control the weapon" (if it's still in his hand) and crank the **** out of the offending arm until there's a nice gristly-cracking sound coming from it.

You'll get marked a bit while closing, but--whatever you do--don't let up your attack: that would just give the momentum back to the guy with the blade.

But, again, just ignore the above. It's only ever worked for me, so it won't work for you.

StepInCross
4/06/2011 10:14pm,
Just up an run. If theres anything around you, throw it and then run. If you get cornered, offer them your wallet and run whilst they grab it. The only time you should ever face an armed opponent is with their backs turned towards you and with a weapon in your hand that can drop them before they get the chance to endanger you(anything less than a gun or a taser doesn't count).

A real-life self-defense situation is more or less just learning how and when to run. Leg kicks, punching, grappling or otherwise unarmed combat is more or less for intimidation(or for standing to those that want to intimadate you). When death need be dealt, people use knives and guns whilst those of us that don't have knives and guns get the **** away.

Permalost
4/06/2011 11:35pm,
A real-life self-defense situation is more or less just learning how and when to run. Leg kicks, punching, grappling or otherwise unarmed combat is more or less for intimidation(or for standing to those that want to intimadate you). When death need be dealt, people use knives and guns whilst those of us that don't have knives and guns get the **** away.
Kicking, punching, and grappling are all part of using weapons. For example, if I thrust a knife at your abdomen and you clamp down on my forearm with both hands, the very next thing I do is a left cross or hook.