PDA

View Full Version : I'm new. Here's my situation. Southern CA.

socal
4/05/2011 4:04pm,
Hello Bullshido,

I'm going to explain my current situation and then ask for advice on what kind of schools in my area you might recommended, if any. There is a Tl;dr version at the bottom.

Part 1.

So here goes - I'm totally out of shape (a fat sack, really). I'm 31 years old and I weigh 325 pounds. At my height and shoulder breadth I should probably weigh around 210. Maybe less.

I have never been in GREAT shape, but the one time in my life I was in pretty good shape was when I was training in martial arts regularly, which was from ages 19 to about 22. I was never a very good fighter, and from what I've read in my time lurking here I'm pretty sure I was getting a lot of McDojo training. But I was in much better shape and much more confident.

So my first motivation for getting back into martial arts is to help get back into shape.

Part 2.

I am quite close to proposing to my Girlfriend. She is a great person, who also happens to be very tiny. She was also the victim of a lot of bullying growing up and constantly worries about it.

I understand that if someone pulls a gun or a knife, I won't be able to ninja my way to defeating them. But if some bullying gorilla tries to put me and/or my future wife in a situation that threatens our security, I'd like to be able to defend me/her/us, or at least have a reasonable chance at doing so.

So my second motivation is to be able to defend myself and my future wife.

I live in the greater LA area, working in the Puente Hills/City of Industry Area and living in the Newhall/Santa Clarita area. A school in either of these areas or in between (around Pasadena, let's say) would be fine.

Tl;dr:

Fat dude seeks school that will teach self defense and help him get in shape. School should be in or around Puente Hills, Pasadena, or Santa Clarita.

Omega Supreme
4/05/2011 4:12pm,
Santa Clarita has some excellent schools.
http://www.fightacademymma.com/ -dave dunn is really cool
http://www.bjmuta.com/

Permalost
4/05/2011 4:17pm,
Good luck finding a school. Fortunately for you, Southern CA has lots of good martial arts schools if you know what to look for (and avoid). Are there any places around you that you've been considering?

TaeBo_Master
4/05/2011 4:22pm,
Santa Clarita has some excellent schools.
http://www.fightacademymma.com/ -dave dunn is really cool
http://www.bjmuta.com/

Any recommendation from Omega is a very strong one.

socal
4/05/2011 4:54pm,
Thanks for the recommendations, Omega. About the fight academy link - would you happen to know if the Pasadena location would meet your standards for recommendation as well as the Santa Clarita one?

No particular schools yet. SO. MANY. SCHOOLS. come up in internet searches I figured that starting from what I can get recommendations for would be more productive.

TaeBo_Master
4/05/2011 4:56pm,
You have a rare problem, an abundance of choice. In such a situation, I would suggest refining your criteria further. Get a little pickier, and that will help narrow your options.

Son of Thunder
4/06/2011 12:50pm,
A few notes from someone who used to be around 330 pounds (a truckload of that blubber is now gone but I still have a ways to go) and is in his mid-30s:

1. I got a much better workout when I was doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu than any striking art that I've studied, and with less trauma to my joints (kicking the heavy bag did nothing but wreck my hips when I was that fat). My advice would be to look for something that is groundfighting-intensive.

2. Drink a ton of water. Even if you have to pee all the time.

3. Have no ego. Early on, your grappling experiences will likely involve two situations: one, you use your size advantage to squash your opponent; two, you get twisted into a pain-pretzel by someone half your size and flop around like a poleaxed walrus. When you go with option one, you don't learn anything. Accept the repeated humiliations and focus on learning more than on winning.

4. Train with people of good character. If the gym looks like a breeding ground for testosterone-fueled posturing narcissists, then most of them will have no interest in helping you improve and they will instead see you as an annoyance. Look for high levels of camaraderie, high levels of willingness to help, and low levels of taking the self too seriously.

5. Incorporate a change in diet. No, this is not where I reveal the magic can't-lose diet plan, and I'm not assuming that you're not dieting already. Just going from my own experience, exercise without dieting got me jack squat, dieting without exercise got me squat and a half, both together worked very well.

6. Stick to it. This is a very long process, and your attitude must be to do the right thing even when you really don't feel like it. On the plus side, current research on self-regulation shows that your ability to control yourself and resist temptations grows stronger with practice.

Omega Supreme
4/06/2011 1:31pm,
Thanks for the recommendations, Omega. About the fight academy link - would you happen to know if the Pasadena location would meet your standards for recommendation as well as the Santa Clarita one?

No particular schools yet. SO. MANY. SCHOOLS. come up in internet searches I figured that starting from what I can get recommendations for would be more productive.

I almost dropped a kid from the Pasadena school. That being said I've heard good things about it.

WhiteShark
4/06/2011 2:10pm,
Since you seem to have a lot of options you may want to consider a school with a good womens program. Even if she isn't interested now having a wife that also trains will pave the way for a long happy martial arts career. Additionally if she really wants to improve confidence and awareness training herself is the best way.

PizDoff
4/06/2011 2:44pm,
Great advice here!

Welcome to the forum socal, let us know how you progress on your goals.

Ciderbone
4/07/2011 8:16pm,
Since you seem to have a lot of options you may want to consider a school with a good womens program. Even if she isn't interested now having a wife that also trains will pave the way for a long happy martial arts career. Additionally if she really wants to improve confidence and awareness training herself is the best way.

Huge +1. I sort of went the opposite way, my wife brought me into the world of martial arts, but it's very true... martial arts are a great thing for couples... also agrees with the guys who said to focus on grappling... I lost lots of weights grappling (used to be a chub machine!).

Colin
4/07/2011 8:24pm,
Omega with an informative, helpful post in the Newbie forum...

Wait, what???