PDA

View Full Version : Gi and No-Gi BJJ

Pages : [1] 2

The Deliverator
4/04/2011 5:53pm,
I know this is going to be a very noobish question and one that has been asked many times before so first off I give permission for you all to troll me. I have already searched threads and done research on the internetz so this is not going to be the standard either/or question on Gi vs. No-Gi training in BJJ. My research tells me that both are good for different purposes and emphases.

I'm a total noob to grappling who's been taking BJJ classes 3 times per week for the past month. I'm at an MMA gym where the BJJ class we have is no Gi only. I am finding myself getting very addicted to the Jiu-Jitsu and really want to maximize my time spent training. I really like my current gym and am going to keep training there for Boxing at minimum.

So my question is this: how beneficial would it be for me to start doing some Gi BJJ at another gym now? I'm not looking for shortcuts, I'm basically just wondering how much it would help my current training and skill development or if just sticking with no Gi is fine. I can afford training at another place as well but I'm certainly looking for cost/benefit suggestions here as well because I obviously don't want to waste money.

I hope this is not too stupid of a question. <puts on asbestos flame gear>

PointyShinyBurn
4/04/2011 6:00pm,
Is the Gi BJJ place on days your current gym doesn't have classes? If so, it's a total no brainer, more training = more better at the strangling.

If you're thinking about doing gi instead of some no-gi it's going to depend partly on what your goals are (sport BJJ, grappling, MMA, street fighting?) and partly on how you find the instruction at each gym. Have you tried a class at the other place? Do that before you go deciding stuff.

sweats
4/04/2011 6:07pm,
I guess it depends on what you want out of it. If you want to compete in sport BJJ competitions, training with the gi would be a must. You're not going to learn lapel chokes, how people latching on to your collar slows you down, and a plethora of other gi-based information without ever putting one on.

If you just really enjoy grappling and want to do more because it's fun, personally, I wouldn't skate off to the nearest BJJ gym just yet. Training 3 times a week is pretty frequent for someone who has only been doing it a month. I don't know what your schedule is like, but you said you want to keep boxing (at the very least) at your current gym. How much mileage would you really get out of a membership somewhere else? You could also just see if your gym would let you and some like-minded students come to roll sometime outside of class hours.

The Deliverator
4/04/2011 6:18pm,
I've been doing 4 days per week in Boxing and 3 in BJJ, so 5 days total per week in the gym, on 2 out of the 5 days I do back-to-back Boxing and BJJ. I come into it in good physical condition from other sports, but yes my fitness is still not sport specific to what I'm doing now and I could not do more than what I'm currently doing and recover properly from the workouts.

So gi somewhere else would have to replace some or realistically perhaps even all of the no gi I'm doing now. Yes I am already thinking of competing in sport BJJ in the future but I have no interest in doing sport MMA personally. I do want to keep doing Boxing for the fun factor, I really really enjoy it.

wetware
4/04/2011 7:18pm,
So if it's no gi only how is it BJJ again?

Colin
4/04/2011 10:07pm,
Kid's got a point. I too, find it pretty unusual for a BJJ club to do ONLY no-gi grappling.

Omega Supreme
4/04/2011 11:38pm,
If the instructor at your gym is a real BJJ guy he knows gi. You probably don't have to go anywhere else. You could just tell him you're interested. That being said what is your ultimate goal. If you want to be a good overall grappler you need both gi and no gi. If you are doing this for MMA then gi is negligible.

The Deliverator
4/05/2011 12:04am,
Okay so the deal is the place I'm training is not a BJJ club, it's mainly a boxing gym. I originally thought I was just going to take up boxing as I've got an old friend that used to be a pretty good amateur boxer (won a Tough Man and a Golden Gloves) and so naturally he advised me to learn boxing and try to do so at a more MMA style gym to learn a little grappling as well. Anyway, it turns out that the fighters at the gym who compete are all boxers and they've got some very good male and female amateurs so again you see what their emphasis is. The head BJJ instructor is a brown belt and yes he knows gi but apparently is just not going to teach it due to lack of demand. The BJJ class is sparsely attended as is.

Omega Supreme
4/05/2011 12:13am,
Doesn't make sense. Who's his instructor?

Like_A_Boss
4/05/2011 2:30am,
Okay so the deal is the place I'm training is not a BJJ club, it's mainly a boxing gym. I originally thought I was just going to take up boxing as I've got an old friend that used to be a pretty good amateur boxer (won a Tough Man and a Golden Gloves) and so naturally he advised me to learn boxing and try to do so at a more MMA style gym to learn a little grappling as well. Anyway, it turns out that the fighters at the gym who compete are all boxers and they've got some very good male and female amateurs so again you see what their emphasis is. The head BJJ instructor is a brown belt and yes he knows gi but apparently is just not going to teach it due to lack of demand. The BJJ class is sparsely attended as is.

I have the same situation my MMA gym is Muay Thai, Boxing, K1 and MMA based, the BJJ classes are NO GI only, So I supplement by training at another BJJ school who focus only on BJJ.

PointyShinyBurn
4/05/2011 6:13am,
So gi somewhere else would have to replace some or realistically perhaps even all of the no gi I'm doing now. Yes I am already thinking of competing in sport BJJ in the future but I have no interest in doing sport MMA personally.If you want to compete in the gi you're obviously going to have to train in it.

The Deliverator
4/05/2011 12:25pm,
If you want to compete in the gi you're obviously going to have to train in it.

Yes. Competition is a very, very long way off and I am not even thinking about that now aside from it is something I'd most likely explore in the future and I'd like to leave open an avenue for it.

Right now all I want is solid and thorough instruction in the basics of this art and I am not getting that at my current venue. I am going to check out the BJJ focused gyms in my area (there are 3 close by) and inquire about training there as well twice a week to learn grappling.

I appologize for skirting some of the questions in this thread but I don't want to turn this into anything too critical of my current gym as I am under contract and will be training there for several more months at minimum.

Thank you all for your guidance.

Omega Supreme
4/05/2011 12:39pm,
Yes but you're still skirting the main issues. Don't really care about your gym. You still have to tell us what your main focus is going to be. You may think you've answered it but you haven't.

The Deliverator
4/05/2011 1:13pm,
Yes but you're still skirting the main issues. Don't really care about your gym. You still have to tell us what your main focus is going to be. You may think you've answered it but you haven't.

I do not know what my main focus is going to be yet - I'm aware of that. I'm working on sampling some different things and figuring it out.

Iainkelt
4/05/2011 1:54pm,
Just to toss in my .02, until you figure out what your real focus is going to be with your training, I would just try to find the best instructor you can at a gym you like and worry about the gi/no-gi issue later. You can learn a lot from both, especially starting from scratch.

I started at a BJJ/Judo school (that trained both gi and no-gi) chosen primarily because of the head instructor. He then left to open his own independent gym outside of the city and I didn't follow. Around this time I started realizing that I didn't really like training in the gi much, and the kind of game I wanted to play was better suited for no-gi. But I stuck with training the gi for a while anyway because I didn't want to make a rash decision and miss out on anything.

Once the new instructor at my old gym took over, I also realized that I wasn't really happy at the gym for a variety of reasons, but one of them was the focus on gi training. So at that point, after taking a little time off, I jumped ship to a new gym that does strictly no-gi training as a 10th planet affiliate. Fortunately, the head instructors are both guys who came up doing both gi and no-gi so it's a good mix of experience.

Tl:Dr, for now pick the best school you can and stay open minded and eventually you'll work out the issue and things will fall into place.

Best of luck.

wetware
4/05/2011 2:10pm,
One of the major reasons I choose to do both gi and no gi is that gi has a lot of self-defense application that no gi really doesn't. People wear jeans and jackets quite a bit if not most of the techniques applicable to gi grappling translates to normal clothing as well.

On the competition angle, gi helps you train your defense much more than no gi will. People often develop bad habits because they can rely on sweat and lack of grips in no gi rather than learning to properly protect their limbs from attack. While this is likely fine for low level competition as you get higher it will bite you in the ass even in no gi grappling.