PDA

View Full Version : Q: What's more retarded than the martial arts section of reddit?

Pages : [1] 2

CrackFox
4/02/2011 5:39am,
A: The new section specifically for instructing people how to fight (http://www.reddit.com/r/learntofight).

You may or may be not be familiar with reddit - a website where mouth breathers like to re-post links to things that they found on reddit, discuss at length how much more cleverer they are than people on youtube and digg, and generally circle-jerk themselves into a stupor. There was a How Do Armbar? thread here about reddit's martial arts section a short while back - long story short, it sucks.

Anyway the other day some genius started a thread asking if it would be a good idea to start a section specifically for teaching people how to fight. To their credit, there was actually a reasonable response from the posters there, basically saying that it was a lame idea. The OP took this advice to heart, thought about it, and decided to start up his "learn to fight" sub forum anyway.

It's still in embryonic stage, but I predict big things from it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/learntofight

Kovacs
4/02/2011 6:23am,
Hilarity will ensue. As a (semi) serious martial arts website we get enough tomfoolery here but thats going to be hilarious. It reminds me of a current affairs/news site I used to post on years ago where after an article on prostitues in asia being taught Kung Fu for the anti-rape, every chump on the site was suddenly an expert and weeks of funny and sometimes down right scary theories on martial arts were posted.

Ah I had a lot of fun trolling there, I might sign up for this one too.

CrackFox
4/02/2011 6:28am,
I just noticed the description

This is a placed for redditors to learn basic self-defense and fighting skills. Posts are made by experienced martial artists and provide basic advice on defending oneself and ensuring personal safety.
(Emphasis mine)

To be honest though the thing will probably be a ghost town. I should have waited to see if something was going to happen with it before I posted this thread.

bobyclumsyninja
4/02/2011 7:44am,
one of the threads there, leads to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoyfUzZ11BI
ninjas....I knew it.

Yoj
4/02/2011 7:53am,
I don't think he's ever been choked properly, otherwise he wouldn't make up such stupid techniques.

bobyclumsyninja
4/02/2011 8:23am,
WTF Nintaijutsu???? He's watering down the art.

Ignorami
4/02/2011 9:25am,
The best defence in that situation:

Be the big guy on the left, not the little guy on the right.

Grey Owl
4/02/2011 9:32am,

ninjas....I knew it.

I will escape your choke and present my back to you as a gift 'out of love'!

Larus marinus
4/02/2011 10:55am,
Hilarity will ensue. As a (semi) serious martial arts website we get enough tomfoolery here but thats going to be hilarious. It reminds me of a current affairs/news site I used to post on years ago where after an article on prostitues in asia being taught Kung Fu for the anti-rape, every chump on the site was suddenly an expert and weeks of funny and sometimes down right scary theories on martial arts were posted.

Ah I had a lot of fun trolling there, I might sign up for this one too.

I was going to sign up there and post something silly - maybe something about the foot being the most effective area to strike in a self-defence situation... with a fist (something pulled from that 'worst techniques I've ever been shown' thread, IIRC - that made me giggle). Then I saw that the section is moderated.

CrackFox
4/02/2011 11:02am,
Probably not enough real traffic for that kind of monkey business to bear fruit.

Bahuyuddha
4/03/2011 1:20am,
I just noticed the description

This is a placed for redditors to learn basic self-defense and fighting skills. Posts are made by experienced martial artists and provide basic advice on defending oneself and ensuring personal safety.

(Emphasis mine)

To be honest though the thing will probably be a ghost town. I should have waited to see if something was going to happen with it before I posted this thread.

Maybe some "experienced martial artists" from Bullshido should go over to that site and provide some "advice one defending oneself and ensuring personal safety." You know, only t3h r341 d34dly techniques.

EDIT - Never mind. I see that you two (just above) already thought of trolling them.

Obesely
4/03/2011 6:35am,
I've always tried my best to answer responsibly on /r/boxing.

That being said, I swear people troll it half the time. Especially glove related questions. *Sigh*

On that note: http://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/gffjw/first_spar_ever_need_advice/

Hrrmmm. The first example of people sparring in a UFC Gym that *I've* seen. Where was the supervision or coaching staff during all of this that this gentleman had to ask /r/boxing for help?

callum828
4/03/2011 9:08am,

ninjas....I knew it.

I always figured that now MMA is getting popular people would be going for RNCs rather than those weird standing chokes.

stray_bullet
4/03/2011 4:22pm,
Everyone on there has no business teaching someone how to defend themselves or fight and should really shut up. They're all stroking their egos so hard they don't realize how much they suck and that none of them have the slightest clue about fighting, self defense OR the martial arts, to the point of not knowing the definition for either of those things but kind of morphing them into one weird little package which won't work for any of them. :-/

bobyclumsyninja
4/03/2011 10:12pm,
I signed up. I used my bullshido name though, so I don't think I'll troll. Perhaps answer a few questions.

tao.jonez
4/04/2011 2:01pm,
Nintaijutsu guy's asian heritage lends validity to the technique, as does his wardrobe.

I've seen little asian dudes beat up big white guys in enough movies to know the facts.