PDA

View Full Version : Noob Advice on Karate

Zoggy89
3/25/2011 8:29am,
When you went to karate, was it your typical duel style with 1 punch knockouts no matter how puny the hit was, or was it budo style?

if it was the first you could simply switch to budo style, 2 from my dojo also have knee problems. one of wich the same as you.
Your sparring will change to 5 step kumite much more focus on walking, focus and putting maximum output of your power into your strikes. (aka, you wont be doing it as a sport anymore, but an art meant for killing)

It is Fake
3/25/2011 8:38am,
You are why many people hate and make fun of Krotty. If you have nothing contstructive to share do not give advice. The street vs deadly vs. sport argument is tired and unnecessary in Newbietown.

Zoggy89
3/25/2011 9:59am,
You are why many people hate and make fun of Krotty. If you have nothing contstructive to share do not give advice. The street vs deadly vs. sport argument is tired and unnecessary in Newbietown.
That was not my intent, what I mean is that the focus is based diffrently, and because of that your body is used slithtly diffrent, you dont "have to" put allot of training into speed and jump around. Aswell as the kicks can be avoided if nessesary for example, with knee problems.
It's simply a sudgestion if he don't want to stray too far away from his roots.

It is Fake
3/25/2011 10:05am,
You need to get out and experience more Karate because, you have too many erroneous beliefs.

Zoggy89
3/25/2011 10:08am,
Used to go ditokan before I changed to shotokan.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
3/25/2011 10:55am,
Used to go ditokan before I changed to shotokan.

Ditokan a.k.a. "Dynamic Shotokan", an offshoot of Shotokan created in Indonesia in the seventies by Frans Teintang.
Almost all the documentation on the web is in Swedish or Nordish or Finds (I can't determine the exact language).

Try Kyokushin or an offshoot (Shin-Kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin, Seidokaikan or Sidokan) and then report back. I think that your beliefs about "Karate" will be shaken (not stirred).

Zoggy89
3/28/2011 9:03am,
Ditokan a.k.a. "Dynamic Shotokan", an offshoot of Shotokan created in Indonesia in the seventies by Frans Teintang.
Almost all the documentation on the web is in Swedish or Nordish or Finds (I can't determine the exact language).

Try Kyokushin or an offshoot (Shin-Kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin, Seidokaikan or Sidokan) and then report back. I think that your beliefs about "Karate" will be shaken (not stirred).
So I did.
Sure it is diffrent, still allot of focus that require the legs to work perfectly.
Wich back to my point, was why I recomended the other kind.

It is Fake
3/28/2011 9:43am,
Basically, what Zendo is saying is the history of Ditokan doesn't back your assertion of adding more "power" and the other nonsense in your post.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
3/28/2011 9:52am,
So I did.
Sure it is diffrent, still allot of focus that require the legs to work perfectly.
Wich back to my point, was why I recomended the other kind.

????

I'm going to explain to you this very slowly (so read every word carefully).

1)
-The OP (Original Poster) has knee problems
-The knee problems prevent him to do kicking and breakfalls safely
- The OP has a striking background (Karate and Kickboxing)
- I suggested doing English Boxing because of his striking background
- English Boxing has no kicking and no breakfalls, so safe on the knees

2)
- You give advice on him doing Karate (a striking art that incorporates kicking and striking)
- He already stated that he has done Karate and that he can't train it anymore
- Your only background is Shotokan and an offshoot of Shotokan (which doesn't incorporate a superior form of striking compared to boxing techniques)
- You have an outdated believe that one strike = one kill (which comes from Japanese sword arts and not Karate)

3)
- I suggest you to train Kyokushin or an offshoot SO you would find out the hard way that one strike <> one kill

4)
- You say that you have trained in Kyokushin, yet you STILL believe that one hit = one kill
- So I suspect that you have NOT trained in Kyokushin or never entered knock-down karate competitions

5)
- Now you misread my previous post nd think that I recommanded Kyokushin to the OP, which I didn't do.
- I recommanded Kyokushin to you and English Boxing to the OP.

Zoggy89
3/28/2011 4:19pm,
????

I'm going to explain to you this very slowly (so read every word carefully).

1)
-The OP (Original Poster) has knee problems
-The knee problems prevent him to do kicking and breakfalls safely
- The OP has a striking background (Karate and Kickboxing)
- I suggested doing English Boxing because of his striking background
- English Boxing has no kicking and no breakfalls, so safe on the knees

2)
- You give advice on him doing Karate (a striking art that incorporates kicking and striking)
- He already stated that he has done Karate and that he can't train it anymore
- Your only background is Shotokan and an offshoot of Shotokan (which doesn't incorporate a superior form of striking compared to boxing techniques)
- You have an outdated believe that one strike = one kill (which comes from Japanese sword arts and not Karate)

3)
- I suggest you to train Kyokushin or an offshoot SO you would find out the hard way that one strike <> one kill

4)
- You say that you have trained in Kyokushin, yet you STILL believe that one hit = one kill
- So I suspect that you have NOT trained in Kyokushin or never entered knock-down karate competitions

5)
- Now you misread my previous post nd think that I recommanded Kyokushin to the OP, which I didn't do.
- I recommanded Kyokushin to you and English Boxing to the OP.

And this is where you both got me wrong from the start, you assume that I try to make the style into something it is not.
What I said was simply that because of the changes in diffrent karate styles. may it be shotokan, or the others. put focus on diffrent areas.
The one Im practising is (simply put), able to avoid allot of the kicks because it is not meant for ring fighting, giving you the chance to avoid the kicks if you ever need to use it outside the dojo. (wich supposedly is a worst case senario.)

While the ditokan one that I mentioned is based on speed and only is based on 1 hit = 1 kill tournaments. pretty much turning it into the most boring part of shotokan training and just sticking to that. and there for require kicks, wich he have to avoid.
There are ofc the others wich I did have a look on after you told me, and those still require the kicks, so it is understandable that he have to stay away from those.
Wich is the reason I asked what kind of karate he did practise before.

I didnt mean to undermind your previus sudgestion, BUT if he want to stay to the karate wich he have already got some training in and dont want to stray too far away, it is still a choice.

It is Fake
3/28/2011 4:43pm,
And this is where you both got me wrong from the start, you assume that I try to make the style into something it is not.No, you keep saying the same thing.

What I said was simply that because of the changes in diffrent karate styles. may it be shotokan, or the others. put focus on diffrent areas.
The one Im practising is (simply put), able to avoid allot of the kicks because it is not meant for ring fighting, giving you the chance to avoid the kicks if you ever need to use it outside the dojo. (wich supposedly is a worst case senario.) This is the street vs. Sport argument.

I didnt mean to undermind your previus sudgestion, BUT if he want to stay to the karate wich he have already got some training in and dont want to stray too far away, it is still a choice.

No, we aren't missing what you said. You are making an assumption based on your limited experience with two arts. It is reinforced by your implication that since he took Karate he can take yours and not stray far.

Culled:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105198

Odacon
3/28/2011 5:02pm,
When you went to karate, was it your typical duel style with 1 punch knockouts no matter how puny the hit was, or was it budo style?

if it was the first you could simply switch to budo style, 2 from my dojo also have knee problems. one of wich the same as you.
Your sparring will change to 5 step kumite much more focus on walking, focus and putting maximum output of your power into your strikes. (aka, you wont be doing it as a sport anymore, but an art meant for killing)

I....................... What?