PDA

View Full Version : Record number of LEOs Killed in line of duty in 2011

Pages : [1] 2

ojgsxr6
3/17/2011 8:27pm,
http://www.odmp.org/year.php?year=2011

For the 1st 3 months of 2011 there has been a record number of line of duty deaths for LEO in the US. I just wanted to say to all those guys out there, especially those who are probably riding alone with backup probably 10 minutes out, be safe and thanks.

Wounded Ronin
3/19/2011 8:18pm,
That reminds me I should sign up for a ride along.

Vorpal
3/19/2011 8:33pm,
We have lost two in the last four weeks. A horrible year already for the Marshals.

Eddie Hardon
3/21/2011 10:50am,
I read the OP and it's a Shocker.

It is Fake
3/21/2011 10:54am,
Holy crap. Obviously gunfire is the highest, but I never knew how high auto accidents were in the stats. I knew how dangerous it wass to pull someone over, but not that when combined with gunfire it is over a hundred deaths between the two stats.

Wounded Ronin
3/21/2011 11:52am,
Wow, there is even a park ranger.

Park Ranger Chris Nickel passed away while patrolling the Square Tower Ruin Trail at Hovenweep National Monument in San Juan County, Utah.

A hiker discovered Ranger Nickel collapsed on the trail and immediately rushed to the visitor center to request assistance. Paramedics from Colorado, Utah and a medical helicopter from New Mexico responded but Ranger Nickel was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ranger Nickel had served with the National Park Service for 16 years. He is survived by his wife and parents.

It says duty related illness. Did he contract an illness such as bubonic plague from wildlife? (It is known to happen.)

Diesel_Claus
3/21/2011 12:35pm,
Florida representing with the highest...10!!!!

But another side of this is the alcoholism, mental illness, and family problems that Law Enforcement officers go through. I've known 3 officers who have ended their own lives.

And as far as the auto accidents. My unkle and brother have been in car wrecks while on duty. Both of them were T-boned. It ended my unkle's career.

Scut Farkus
3/21/2011 1:43pm,
My best friend is a Sheriff's Deputy in a rural county where every swinging dick owns guns. He rides alone. The county doesn't do any traffic, so all of his time is spent patrolling, responding to calls, etc. Backup could be 20 minutes away at any given time. He survives by being the meanest, most aggressive ************ in the county.

thorthe power
3/21/2011 1:46pm,
I worked with Andy from Ohio...he was a great guy. R.I.P.

Lord Skeletor
3/21/2011 2:35pm,
It's certainly sad, I agree. Auto vehicle accidents/being struck by traffic, firearms, and other job-related accidents certainly do claim their fair share of cops. Also as mentioned....stress can lead of mental instability which can later lead to suicides. A lot of these deaths are preventable accidents other than outright homicides...and even with the homicides, many of those are preventable. It's very retarded to sit here and Monday-morning quarterback fallen officers...so I won't be the douchebag to do it.

I've been a cop for almost 20 years. I'm a trainer for the police, military, as well as the private sector. You wanna know what kills cops? Complacency. Getting into routines and bad habits which encourage taking shortcuts and working on the assumption that this guy they are pulling over 10 minutes before shift change is over with is just going to smile, take his ticket, and drive off.

In their basic academy, we stress the importance of (and beat the **** out of the dead horse that is) situational awareness, using common sense (not initiating contact with or pulling over a van full of gang members, approaching the vehicle from the passenger side while on the freeway, etc.), defensive tactics, and firearms retention. However...like your favorite martial arts class that you took 4 years ago...if you don't practice the **** and you don't employ the ****, and you automatically assume that everyone you meet is your friend, you risk becoming a victim.

thorthe power
3/21/2011 3:06pm,
Exactly...and well put.

ojgsxr6
12/21/2011 9:17pm,
Detective Peter Figoski (http://www.odmp.org/officer/21042-detective-peter-figoski)

Eddie Hardon
12/22/2011 1:50pm,
Good God. Shot in the Head. Poor bloke. Feel sorry for his family especially at this time of year.

ignatzami
12/22/2011 5:40pm,
The traffic accidents don't surprise me in the least. I've seen cops break every traffic law in the book regularly.

I've been tailgated by an officer on a number of occasions because I wasn't speeding fast enough on a single lane road for his taste. I've seen officers parking illegally, running red lights, illegal U-turns, weaving, hotdoging through traffic, cutting off other motorists, flipping on their lights to ignore red lights, and stop signs. The works.

Frankly I'm surprised more Rochester/Syracuse NY police don't end up in serious accidents.

tgace
12/22/2011 6:47pm,
The traffic accidents don't surprise me in the least. I've seen cops break every traffic law in the book regularly.

I've been tailgated by an officer on a number of occasions because I wasn't speeding fast enough on a single lane road for his taste. I've seen officers parking illegally, running red lights, illegal U-turns, weaving, hotdoging through traffic, cutting off other motorists, flipping on their lights to ignore red lights, and stop signs. The works.

Frankly I'm surprised more Rochester/Syracuse NY police don't end up in serious accidents.

While...yes...some (maybe even many) LEO's drive like assholes when they don't have to. There are MANY people who bitch about LEO driving when they have no clue where the cop may actually be going. Im sure that MANY people used to complain about my patrol driving when I was absolutely justified for making that U turn or turning my lights on to go through a red light (only to turn them off afterwards).

Unless you saw the copper do a U turn, cut off a car and blow a stop sign then pull into the coffee shop drive through you seldom know what the real reason for why he did it.

Again. As a LE supervisor I have chewed out my share of officers for the driving I caught them doing so Im not claiming 100% innocence. But Ive also told my share of complainers who called in that the officer was justified for driving the way he did too.

Permalost
12/22/2011 7:19pm,
Last night, an LEO I trained with told us a story about something that happened here recently. The cops were called to a complaint in Pacific Beach, and when they confronted the owner at his house, the guy tossed a pitbull puppy at the officer as a distraction and punched him in the face. There's some crazy crap you guys gotta deal with, and I respect that you keep going out there and doing it.