PDA

View Full Version : Hello BullShido!!!!

kidxatxheart
3/13/2011 6:22pm,
Hey wassup, I'm David, senior at Drexel. Been watching mma for awhile now and i love it. Been looking for a good grappling school, one with not just bjj but also wrestling. If your from the Philadelphia area and have a suggestion please let me know.

W. Rabbit
3/13/2011 6:32pm,
Hey wassup, I'm David, senior at Drexel. Been watching mma for awhile now and i love it. Been looking for a good grappling school, one with not just bjj but also wrestling. If your from the Philadelphia area and have a suggestion please let me know.

Welcome to Bullshido. I came close to going to Drexel for engineering but most of my mother's family lives in Philadelphia and......no way I was going to do that.

Philadelphia is big though and you should have a lot of martial arts schools to choose from.

College programs (wrestling, judo, jj) can be pretty good, that's where I got my taste of Judo. Have you done any of that?

kidxatxheart
3/13/2011 8:28pm,
i'll probably join the judo club for my last semester, but i would like to find a permenant school and so far none have bjj with judo/wrestling

TaeBo_Master
3/13/2011 8:33pm,
The best wrestlers in the world tend to have a collegiate background. They also usually have a high school background, but that doesn't mean you can't check to see if your college has a wrestling program.

Snake Plissken
3/13/2011 9:11pm,
I have PM'ed a poster from this site from Philly and let him know you are looking for schools in the area.

Snake Plissken
3/13/2011 10:40pm,
I PMed Angry Mandrill on the Sociocide site and this is his response:

lol, i've been shunned. password don't work, system doesn't recognize my email. i'll try to sort it out tomorrow.

meantime, if you're so inclined, you can tell the delicate flower that balance studios is the best in the city. we got wrestling, judo and bjj, and an mma program with real live ammy and pro fighters. he can walk there from drexel.

www.balancestudios.net (http://www.balancestudios.net/)

so here you go, from a real live Philly man!

kidxatxheart
3/13/2011 11:34pm,
Thanks Snake, but Balance is a lil to pricey for me, was hoping another gym could be recommended.

TaeBo_Master
3/13/2011 11:35pm,
Beggars can't be choosers. If you want the best, you've got it right from the horse's mouth. Get a paper route.

Snake Plissken
3/14/2011 10:39am,
Thanks Snake, but Balance is a lil to pricey for me, was hoping another gym could be recommended.
Well, I will give you one warning before I fall back onto the suggestions of others.

You will be paying for the "privilege" of learning "the BJJ" and it will be priced accordingly as it is the style du jour. If that gym, with its rasslejudograpplin' is too pricey, look into the resources of your University.

Check and see if they offer Intermurial Rasslin'. See if there is a Judo Klub (backwards "K" is requisite) or if they offer Judo as an elective class.

Worse comes to worse, hang around the wrestling room or mats in the (what my college called) Field House, or whatever the multi-use gym is called. Put fliers around the dorm(s) looking for workout partners.

Otherwise, if all the schools in Philly are above your pricepoint, would you travel into New Jersey?

faded/day
3/23/2011 3:39pm,
Cosign on balance being a great school. If you don't mind a thirty minute drive, you can go to The Grindhouse MMA school in Feasterville PA. Real cheap and they have good instructors. I was there a couple years ago and they had a few good ammy fighters. At least one who I think could have gone Pro by now. That's your best option if money is an issue.

Wolf
3/23/2011 5:18pm,
Also, it's worth at least talking to the guys at Balance. I don't know about there, but a lot of good schools will work with people who have limited funds. If you seem truly dedicated, and are a hard worker you might be able to work out reduced rates for helping clean the mats and other various jobs around the gym.