PDA

View Full Version : New here and new to mauy Thai

Pages : [1] 2 3

Reekon_Nox
3/10/2011 10:11am,
Hi my name is Reekon and 03/12/11 I will be going to my first ever Mauy Thai class at Relson Gracie Austin Association. A lil about me

I'm 6 Foot 3 inches and 400 lbs yeah I know, I told the head guy there i was a big guy and he said come on, we will work with you. If he is willing to teach I am willing to learn. As of now I am in it just to learn Mauy Thai and shed some major weight, I have no intrest in competing but I'm sure that will change as I get deeper into it.

If anyone has any info that will help a new commer out please fill free to hit me up.

alex
3/10/2011 3:03pm,
fyi it is muay thai, not mauy thai

and good on you man, the number of people i know who say **** like "oh ill get into it but first i wanna get fit" really cheeses me off, IMO just jumping in and doing it is the best way to get fit.

Soldiermedic
3/10/2011 3:14pm,
Seriously, I was worried about starting grappling when I was 260(I'm only 5'7") and I was too busy having heart palpitations to learn anything my first couple of weeks. You did a courageous thing.

Hopefully this is going to be the start of one of those ridiculous fitness stories that most people will envy.

beardedtaco
3/10/2011 3:17pm,
Don't give up. Keep at it. Have fun. The weight will just drop off after a while.

Flappyhead
3/10/2011 7:10pm,
Qick tip, don't try to impress anyone. Do what your body will allow you to do, your cardio and metabolism will take some time so don't force it. I guarantee your instructor will tell you the same if you try to push yourself too hard too early.

Reekon_Nox
3/10/2011 7:10pm,
Thanks for the correction and Thanks for the encouragment. I am excited to get started and can't wait to spar. I am 32 and have had only 2 fights in my whole life and my last was at age 14. I'm not saying I just want to fight but it's hard to know your limits as in can you take a good hit if you have never been hit.

MyDo
3/13/2011 12:07am,
fyi it is muay thai, not mauy thai

and good on you man, the number of people i know who say **** like "oh ill get into it but first i wanna get fit" really cheeses me off, IMO just jumping in and doing it is the best way to get fit.

I did this and I was pretty cheesed off at myself after. It's just procrastination and has no place when you're trying to build self discipline.

OP: Also pay attention to who you hang out with and what you do. I was 6' 4" and 300lbs when I left AZ(had few friends, played a bunch of WoW, and ate a lot of Taco Bell). As soon as I moved back to Boulder, where all my friends were, it took less than a month to lose around 50 lbs. That's just because I was sedentary and eating bad food. So definitely look at the environment and see if there are any improvements you can make there as well.

Welcome to Bullshido and please use the info on the site to make positive changes in your life(the info here has helped me a lot).

retrograde
3/13/2011 12:24am,
My advice would be to not use your size as a way to dominate smaller opponents in training, even though it can be really tempting. I used to train with a guy who was lazy with terrible technique, but because he was SO much bigger than everyone else, he would just stand there eating all the shots like they weren't even touching him, then throw wild haymakers or smother people in the clinch. He was only cheating himself, though, and never got any better at fighting. Likewise, as a pretty small chick, I'm usually way faster and more agile than the much bigger guys I spar in training, but there's no value in just relying on that, because in the ring, my opponents are the same size as me, and it didn't help my teammates prepare for their fights, either. But most importantly, people who always exploit significant weight, height, speed or strength advantages in training are pains in the ass and no one wants to train with them.

TaeBo_Master
3/13/2011 1:38am,
Welcome. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. It is definitely one worth pursuing. The above posters are of course correct in that you shouldn't try to overextend yourself early. Know your limits and push them, but don't break them. As you go along, the bar you set for yourself will continue to go up and up and up.

If you have any questions, need advice or help as you take on your newfound journey, utilize this site and its members to your advantage. As long as you have a good attitude and take it seriously, you'll be treated with a good attitude and taken seriously. (I like to point this out because often new guys get hyper-sensitive about a little ribbing or approach things with a less-than-humble attitude. This site often isn't for softies, but the members here are some of the best you'll find anywhere in martial arts and combat sports.)

iopyud
3/13/2011 3:31am,
I strongly agree with retrograde's advice. It's extremely important.

You actually work with your partner to improve your skills.
Do not ignore punches in light sparring just because it's light.

Highly skilled practitioners don't do that because if you keep doing that you'll end up with sloppy technique and poor reflexes.

Also, kick the heavy bag lots of times. They're good for shin conditioning.

Edit: Good luck with your MT, dude. Have fun.

Reekon_Nox
3/13/2011 9:13am,
Well yesterday I did my first class and in the first 20 minutes of throwing straigt knees into a pad i felt like my legs were about to fall off. This is by far the best workout I think anyone can get. I have decided to do 3-4 days a week with a combo of muay Thai and Jui jitsu. The teachers are bad ass and look like they are in it for the love and not the money.

After a few knees and other things he had me working on a basic jab hook to learn good form, I no I never been in a "real" fight but i thought i could atleast throw a good punch. Boy was i wrong. I felt weird and i know looked real dumb but I really didn't care, I LOVE IT.

I think this is the first time I will get on a diet and stick to it. At first I was just doing this for the no how and to get in shape but Now I want to compete. I will start taking photos and keeping a journal of what i am doing and how I am comming alone. Thanks for all the good words and wish me well.

bobyclumsyninja
3/13/2011 9:44am,
Congrats on the good training, and welcome to bullshido. Training helped me quit smoking (embarrassing to run outside retching after each round of sparring, and other humiliations), and I went from 193 lbs - 163 lbs, where I remain. I didn't start martial arts training until my mid/late twenties, and I've never felt better.

You can do it!

TaeBo_Master
3/13/2011 6:00pm,
Congrats. My advice is to hold on to that fire that the thought of competing gives you. But don't get too focused on it just yet. For right now, concentrate on what you're doing each day, becoming the best that you can, and breaking past the Newbie stage. It's good to have big, long-term goals, but you also need to have small, day-by-day goals. Every time you enter the gym, you should be able to leave telling yourself you accomplished a goal for that day.

MyDo
3/14/2011 1:04am,
Hey bud,

Another thing that helped motivate me was Atomic Poet's "How Boxing Changed My Life" thread. Also, there are weight loss contests with pics(optional) in the fitness/diet forum. Blah, blah, Rome wasn't made in a day, yadda, yadda...routine helps!

Reekon_Nox
3/14/2011 1:09am,
Thanks, I will take it day by day. Having a problem all ready. I worked out saturday tomorrow I have class again and i'm still sore. is there any way to get over this soreness quickly or do I just tough it out and push through?

beardedtaco
3/14/2011 1:29am,
Depends what kind of sore. If it's just stiffness, then yes, work through that ****.
And since it's Muay Thai, you should probably beat people with the part of you that is the most sore just because pain is for the weak.