PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Soaps.

soper
2/26/2011 8:38am,
Hello. Long time reader, just registered because I think I've found the right MA for me. These guys at www.chansmartialarts.com seem to be pretty on to it, apart from having their HQ destroyed in the recent earthquake here.

The local branch instructor is an ex police officer of 20 years and also coaches the clubs team that enters the annual TKD national competition. According to the NZ TKD site the Chans team seems to win every division they have an entrant for. To me this seems pretty good for a Kung Fu club that focuses on no-rules self defence rather than sport. The style its self seems well rounded with lots of ground work and has close affiliations with Prof. Jays's small circle stuff. Any searches of the forums only turn up trolling about how crap their belts are or some such.

Any way, I guess I just wanted to run it by the clever bastards here before I committed is all.

Cheers.

jnp
2/26/2011 9:59am,
Hello. Long time reader, just registered because I think I've found the right MA for me. These guys at www.chansmartialarts.com seem to be pretty on to it, apart from having their HQ destroyed in the recent earthquake here.

The local branch instructor is an ex police officer of 20 years and also coaches the clubs team that enters the annual TKD national competition. According to the NZ TKD site the Chans team seems to win every division they have an entrant for. To me this seems pretty good for a Kung Fu club that focuses on no-rules self defence rather than sport. The style its self seems well rounded with lots of ground work and has close affiliations with Prof. Jays's small circle stuff. Any searches of the forums only turn up trolling about how crap their belts are or some such.

Any way, I guess I just wanted to run it by the clever bastards here before I committed is all.

Cheers.
Welcome to the site. I'm not really qualified to speak about Kung Fu, having never practiced it, but there were a few things that raised my eyebrows about that site.

There is no mention of Master Chan's lineage. Who trained him I wonder? Also, it's a Kung Fu kwoon that competes in TKD competitions? That's really just a question.

One thing that would help us help you is to know what your goals in learning martial arts are. Self-defense? Chinese cultural awareness? How to move like a ninja?

It is Fake
2/26/2011 11:09am,
Anything renamed or changed bother me. Anything that says it is different because a certain art is "competition" and not for the "street" bothers me. Go check it out it may be a good school.

ChenPengFi
2/26/2011 11:31am,
Chan's lineage is here: http://www.singongtaichi.com/yso.html
Fake covered it well.
I also find it odd that a Tai Chi school that says
it's emphasis is not in competition
would enter a TKD competition.

soper
2/26/2011 5:24pm,
Chan's lineage is here: http://www.singongtaichi.com/yso.html
Fake covered it well.
I also find it odd that a Tai Chi school that says
would enter a TKD competition.

"Fake covered it well." Does this mean it is a fake history? If so could you elaborate?

From what I understand, the tournament fighting is a small part of the curriculum and only offered for students that are interested in competition as there are no internal club competitions.

ChenPengFi
2/26/2011 5:59pm,
"Fake" is "It Is Fake" the poster above me.

risingphoenix73
3/05/2011 2:08am,
welcome to bull

Like_A_Boss
3/05/2011 4:28am,

Cheers.

Hey, welcome to the site, where about in NZ are you?

Kohi
3/05/2011 11:11am,
Hello Soaps! =)