PDA

View Full Version : Amateur MMA - How many hours do you train?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Like_A_Boss
2/22/2011 7:17am,
Hey guys, to all the amateur fighters out there who still work full time jobs, How much time are you putting in the gym?

At the moment Im doing:
Monday - BJJ 2hr
Tuesday - K1 1hr and Muay Thai 1hr
Wednesday - BJJ 2hr
Thursday - K1 1hr and Muay Thai 1hr
Friday - MMA 1hr
Saturday - MMA 1hr then K1/Muay thai/Boxing 2hr
Sunday - off

They also have mma classes tuesday and thursday at 10:00 am i'm hoping my boss will let me take the time of work so i can make those classes too. Otherwise all training is from 6:30 pm onwards

So all amateur fighters who work full time how much time do you put into training.

bigstu31s
2/22/2011 9:52am,
Ah to be young again

bigskymma
2/22/2011 3:40pm,
When I am training for a fight/grappling tournament it depends on my school schedule but this semester looks like this:

M:

10:00-12:00 - Standup - sparring

T:

10-12:00 - Wrestling
5-6: Gi

W:

10-12:00 Standup w/ takedowns
5-6:30 - Standup technique/light spar

Th

10-12:00 - Ground and pound + cardio
5-6:30 - No Gi
Fr:

Open Mat/Day off

Saturday:

10-11:30 Wrestling/Standup with takedowns

Sunday:

MMA sparring (time changes)

For the most part I am controlled at what times I can train by when my classes are. For example I have a 5:30-7:30 class on resource development in Indian Country but I have free mornings becaue of it.

I don't work full time but law school is 40+ hrs a week so take from it what you will.

SifuJason
2/23/2011 8:54pm,
As a coach of ammie fighters, I would say that your schedule looks good for learning, but that you may need more rolling/cardio time to get in top fighting shape as well; a few hours here or there. Ideally, you would extend your mat times out that you currently have, since fighting fatigue is a large part of the whole thing.

LiamSP
2/24/2011 1:58am,
I'm not preparing for a fight, so my schedule now looks like this:
Monday-2hrs BJJ, 1 HR wrestling
Tuesday-1.5 hrs BJJ, 1 hour kickboxing
Wednesday-2 hrs BJJ 1 hr MMA sparring/ drilling
Friday- 1.5 hrs BJJ 1 hour standup sparring.

This is on top of a 40 hour workweek.

@ Sifu jason, How do you know when you are over training?

SifuJason
2/24/2011 10:48am,
@ Sifu jason, How do you know when you are over training?

Basically, when you are hurting so much your training suffers unduly. By this I mean that everyone, when training harder, will be a little sore and sub-optimal, but that is part of the point. When you are so sore you can't train hard though, you are training too much. Also, taking 1 day off per week is a must in my book.

LiamSP
2/24/2011 11:50am,
Basically, when you are hurting so much your training suffers unduly. By this I mean that everyone, when training harder, will be a little sore and sub-optimal, but that is part of the point. When you are so sore you can't train hard though, you are training too much. Also, taking 1 day off per week is a must in my book.

Very helpful information, thank you.

excludedmiddle
2/24/2011 2:57pm,
Do any of you ammy fighters spend any time weight-lifting? How often and what kind of stuff do you do? Very interesting thread so far.

SifuJason
2/24/2011 3:13pm,
Do any of you ammy fighters spend any time weight-lifting? How often and what kind of stuff do you do? Very interesting thread so far.

Absolutely, but focus on explosive strength. Think CrossFit

Like_A_Boss
2/25/2011 2:26am,

Like Sifu Jason said I changed my whole workout to mostly explosive movements.

Use a 3-1 or even a 4-1 tempo so on lowering you count to 3 seconds but on the lift you only count 1 second, And the best thing I ever started using was a medicine ball, I could do an entire session with just a medicine ball. Another must (in my humble oppinion) is "Clean and Press" from the floor all the way up over your head, as fast as I can go while still keeping proper form, It combines weightlifting with anaerobic cardio. I also made a 100 pound sand bag just playing around with that kills me.

Like_A_Boss
2/25/2011 2:32am,
As a coach of ammie fighters, I would say that your schedule looks good for learning, but that you may need more rolling/cardio time to get in top fighting shape as well; a few hours here or there. Ideally, you would extend your mat times out that you currently have, since fighting fatigue is a large part of the whole thing.

The schedule I gave includes quite a bit of sparring / mat time usually the last 15 min is spar/roll and sometimes especially muay thai class we will spend first 15 min brutal cardio then 30 min technique and end off 15 min even more brutal cardio. After class aswell we are free to roll/spar aslong as you dont get in another classes way. And on sat instead of training standup you also have the choice of sparring/rolling for 2hrs instead.

SifuJason
2/25/2011 9:31am,
The schedule I gave includes quite a bit of sparring / mat time usually the last 15 min is spar/roll and sometimes especially muay thai class we will spend first 15 min brutal cardio then 30 min technique and end off 15 min even more brutal cardio. After class aswell we are free to roll/spar aslong as you dont get in another classes way. And on sat instead of training standup you also have the choice of sparring/rolling for 2hrs instead.

As long as you are taking advantage of the after class sparring, you should be good. As an ammie, train for 3 4 min rounds; that will give you the extra cardio you need come fight day.

Sang
2/25/2011 9:59am,
2 hours a day, 6 days a week is more than enough. I wouldn't skip work two mornings a week, if you need the extra training so bad do some interval sprint training and some ab work early morning.

As long as you are taking advantage of the after class sparring, you should be good. As an ammie, train for 3 4 min rounds; that will give you the extra cardio you need come fight day.

Or more likely he'll learn to pace himself for 4 minute rounds and have the wrong intensity needed for 3's. Have you had any amateur fights Jason?

tao.jonez
2/25/2011 10:39am,
My baseline training is 4 or 5 days a week if you count the yoga days. I'm older and need more recovery time than I used to.

Monday is just yoga and light cardio - stability ball training for the cardio part to work on balance, weight distribution, and flow.

Tuesday is off / recovery.

Wed is JJ - hr class with drills plus 45 min of mid-intensity rolling

Thu is JKD and MMA - 1 hr each plus sparring

Fri Yoga / light cardio - same as Mon

Sat is 3-4 hrs training - MMA, JJ, kickboxing, sparring

Sun is intervals or circuit training for 40 min of extremely high cardio with plyometrics followed by round-robin sparring (light/med contact) for 6-8 3 min rounds. We spar tired intentionally in order to keep technical discipline while fatigued.

All this changes during a roughly 6 week run-up to competition time. We increase time spent sparring as well as intensity, and do much less technical training. We train for more rounds as opposed to longer rounds. So an event with 3x3 min rounds, we'll train for 5x3 min rounds.

SifuJason
2/25/2011 10:46am,
I coach ammie fighters. I find training for 3 minute rounds an be useful, but the goal shouldn't be to pace yourself, but to be able to have high output the entire time. Having to pace yourself (ie hold back for parts of a round, to conserve energy) is often a reality, but not ideal. Adding an extra 10, 30, or 60 sec to your interval of sparring helps the fighter when the enter the cage, as things are easier than training.

As for 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, that is more then enough training-wise for technique and skill. However, the best ammies I have see also have 3-4 Crossfit cardio/explosive weight regimes per week of 30-60 minutes, and make sure some of that 2 hr x 6 days includes long, heavy sparring sessions. Ideally, a fighter would train 6 days a week, 2 hrs in the evening, and workouts 3-4 days in the mornings.

Sang
2/25/2011 7:21pm,
Agreed with you completely on the second paragraph, thanks for clarifying. I'd love it if we could get our first time fighters to train that often but they're lazy bastards, most get by (and win) with 4*2hour sessions and no morning runs.

In regards to sparring a minute longer rounds, I've been trained this way myself before and found it not that useful. Its good to do a minute longer on the pads where you have someone continuously pushing you but the pacing for a sparring round changes rather dramatically. The best sparring prep I've done for a fight involved doing 5*2 minute rounds against a fresh opponent each round (and we were both told we had to win the round or end up doing hill sprints).