PDA

View Full Version : The wrist

billybudd
2/19/2011 2:46am,
Short question: When is it ok the bend the wrist?

If I throw a punch and, at the last second, I notice that the smaller knuckles or the fingers are going to make contact first, should I bend the wrist?

And also, what's your advise to a complete beginner practicing without wraps on keeping his wrist straight?

billybudd
2/19/2011 3:22am,
Also, when blocking a punch or kick, how fragile is the wrist?

How much importance should I place on avoiding a direct blow to the wrist, or is that a good part of the arm to try to parry with?

JordanT
2/19/2011 4:14am,
It sounds like you're about to get hurt.

gregaquaman
2/19/2011 4:15am,
dont bend the wrist when punching.If you are punching with your small knuckles you are bending your wrist.
Try this experiment. (I hope this explanation makes sense.) rotate your hand so that your thumb is making an ark. Look at your hand hopefully you will notice that your index finger moves the least. This is because the rotation naturally alligns the wrist. If you then made a fist without moving your wrist now your top knuckles are forward.

Practice with raps why damage your hand in training.

I assume you mean some sort of Karate style block? use your forearm and only block high kicks with your arms.

billybudd
2/19/2011 4:37am,
I nailed a scarf to my bedroom ceiling and tied a light ball about chin height to it as an amusing way to exercise. Depending on where it bounces to, I either hit with an odd part of my hand or don't hit. I haven't been rotating my arm much, though. I'll practice this!

And for the blocking, forearms seem to be used a lot to block strikes. But I'm curious, without the padded gloves, what would happen if the attacker slightly altered his strike to land on the wrist?

gregaquaman
2/19/2011 4:57am,
Some training aids force you to hit with strange parts of your hand. EG a speed ball you would hammer fist. (But it serves a different pourpose instead of fist alighnment.)

Getting punched in the wrist hurts but is not a reliable fight winner

What do you do?
Putting your style in your style field helps people know sort of where you are coming from.

BackFistMonkey
2/19/2011 4:58am,
I nailed a scarf to my bedroom ceiling and tied a light ball about chin height to it as an amusing way to exercise. Depending on where it bounces to, I either hit with an odd part of my hand or don't hit. I haven't been rotating my arm much, though. I'll practice this!

And for the blocking, forearms seem to be used a lot to block strikes. But I'm curious, without the padded gloves, what would happen if the attacker slightly altered his strike to land on the wrist?

As you spar and strike more under the guidance of a good coach or instructor most of your questions with be answered, as you will be hit and hit with just about every part of your body. Both properly and improperly.

For now it sounds like you need to focus on basic punching and defense. It does not seem to me that you have an instructor. It is very important for you to understand and be instructed, in person, on the basic mechanics of striking.

Youtube videos and DVD will not cut it.

No you can not figure it out on your own.

Yes you are developing bad habits that you will have to fix if you ever decide to actually learn a striking art.

billybudd
2/19/2011 6:33am,
I've been going to a Shao-lin place for a few months now (more because of the people than the style), but that's not really long enough to say that I have a style.

Just trying to get in shape while I learn the basics

billybudd
2/19/2011 6:43am,
To BackFist, you're right. The place I go to makes new members wait about 2-3 months before inviting them to sparring meetings. For the first bit I'm asked to work on flexibility/balance/general fitness.

I'm impatient though and will probably find a friend to lightly spar with me before then.

BackFistMonkey
2/19/2011 8:26am,
To BackFist, you're right. The place I go to makes new members wait about 2-3 months before inviting them to sparring meetings. For the first bit I'm asked to work on flexibility/balance/general fitness.

I'm impatient though and will probably find a friend to lightly spar with me before then.

I am sorry. That does not sound like a place I would train at.

May I suggest you check out some local places?

Well first let me ask this, what are your training goals ?

billybudd
2/19/2011 9:15am,
My training goals? I don't know.

At first I hung up an old backpack as a punching bag for cardio. But I enjoy it and wanted to learn more. I'll probably obsessively study this until it stops being fun.

I might try another gym, but I'm fond of this one and don't quite have the money to pay for two. He teaches the shaolin forms during weekdays and does competition on weekends. It is a fairly small place and he has a habit of running off people who come just wanting to spar.

(also, Bill Hicks is amazing)

hungryjoe
2/19/2011 9:19am,
billybudd,

If you'll give a general location, there are probably numerous posters who can recommend other places to train.

No matter where, be wary of signing any contracts.

billybudd
2/19/2011 9:42am,
Haha, I feel like I should defend my gym. It's a nice place but just doesn't emphasize sparring. The owner does it as a non-profit, and was trained in China. The upper ranked students teach when he is absent or late, and always open for him. There are no belt fees either, just a monthly fee. And he is stingy as can be about belt colors. Of the students I've asked, it's taken them about 7 years to reach the brown belt rank. There's also a Tai-Chi portion of the class.

I guess he feels that the fighting part of what he teaches is supposed to come after other things.

I'm in Roanoke, Virginia, in the off chance someone else is too.

Nefron
2/19/2011 11:20am,
You are not really defending it.

helmutlvx
2/19/2011 2:04pm,
It sounds like you're eager to hit things, which is good.

But you're going to develop lots of bad habits going the way you are now. You should either try to hold off on punching things until you can talk to your coach or switch to a style that lets you start hitting things immediately.