PDA

View Full Version : Does weight lifting strength translate into Knock out Power for self defense.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

newtoMA10
2/12/2011 2:26pm,
If you have two MT or boxing practioner of equal experience
and technique skill,and they both weigh the same amount of
say 200lbs,but Fighter A weight trains on top of his MA training,and fighter B does not. now lets say fighter A can bench press 275 2 or 3 times, and fighter B can only bench 160 max.

when both fighters throw a punch of equal correct technique and
precision,speed etc.,does fighter A connect with more KO pwer or are they equal,because it is the same amount of Mass and speed and thus force hitting the assaliant.

second questions lets say you have intermediate level female
MMA( MT/BJJ) artist she has been training for two years an average
of six hours a week,and she weighs 127lbs if she was attacked by an unarmred rapist in her home who is 220lbs male would she be able to generate enough force just by strikes to put him down without hitting vital spots(groin,eyes,throats) but she just aimed at the chin, nose, ribs,inside/outside knee and thigh area.

or would she have to resort to a submission hold.

Syphilis
2/12/2011 6:13pm,
LISTEN TO YOURSELF!

You're asking if two guys, of equal weight and equal training except that one has more training, are equally effective.

Strength and the correct use thereoff is just a skill

donoraen
2/12/2011 7:56pm,
There is a reason that weight classes exist.

newtoMA10
2/12/2011 8:30pm,
There is a reason that weight classes exist.

no my first question was that if 2 guy were of equal weight and skill
but one guy had superior weightlifting strength would that make a difference.

Suprore
2/12/2011 8:43pm,
Yes, if two people who were otherwise identical threw an otherwise identical punch, but one was stronger, there'd be an obvious edge. But that's a ridiculous scenario.

And there are way too many variables in the 130 vs 220 situation to consider. But try fighting someone with 100 pounds on you sometime -- i walk at about 135-140, you're definitely not ever going to have a good chance of taking down someone twice your size with any kind of unarmed fighting. But a K/O isnt the only way to avoid getting mugged/raped/whatever.

donoraen
2/12/2011 9:11pm,
no my first question was that if 2 guy were of equal weight and skill
but one guy had superior weightlifting strength would that make a difference.
What do you mean by weightlifting strength? Strength is strength. Also, two people of the same size are the same weight when one lifts and the other doesn't the person who lifts is doing something very wrong....

newtoMA10
2/12/2011 9:20pm,
What do you mean by weightlifting strength? Strength is strength. Also, two people of the same size are the same weight when one lifts and the other doesn't the person who lifts is doing something very wrong....

not really I played football in highschool and there were guys in my weightclass
who could lift substantial more then me and guys who lifted substantial less.

also my best friend is about 200 im about 180 but my max
is about 60lbs higher than his because he does not weightlift he just
does boxing cardio.

In regards to to the 135 Im pretty sure a welter weight boxer
could hurt a civilian rapist mugger who was much bigger.
I had a a chick in muay thai class when i first started and when she landed
a MT kick to the ribs it def hurt,and this was not going full blast.

Himura
2/12/2011 9:44pm,
Could she knock him out? Yes, it is possible, but it isn't likely. Have you ever watched MMA fights where big guys dominate simply because they are bigger and stronger? What they lack in skill they make up for in a brute force flurry. Rampage Jackson's go to submission defense is picking the guy up and slamming him back to the ground.

Assuming the rapist has some experience brawling and doesn't have a glass chin, I'd say he has an advantage over someone with two years of training. As was previously pointed out, there are too many things you've overlooked with this situation in the first place.

jspeedy
2/13/2011 1:07am,
If you have two MT or boxing practioner of equal experience
and technique skill,and they both weigh the same amount of
say 200lbs,but Fighter A weight trains on top of his MA training,and fighter B does not. now lets say fighter A can bench press 275 2 or 3 times, and fighter B can only bench 160 max.

when both fighters throw a punch of equal correct technique and
precision,speed etc.,does fighter A connect with more KO pwer or are they equal,because it is the same amount of Mass and speed and thus force hitting the assaliant.

second questions lets say you have intermediate level female
MMA( MT/BJJ) artist she has been training for two years an average
of six hours a week,and she weighs 127lbs if she was attacked by an unarmred rapist in her home who is 220lbs male would she be able to generate enough force just by strikes to put him down without hitting vital spots(groin,eyes,throats) but she just aimed at the chin, nose, ribs,inside/outside knee and thigh area.

or would she have to resort to a submission hold.

How about if Bruce Lee fought a Bear?

The answer to your stupid question is obvious. Yes, a weaker guy who has trained just as much as a stronger and equally skilled opponent will always win! Yes, a smaller but slightly skilled woman will always be able to beat a stronger but slightly less skilled man! You happy!

Don't bother weight training it will only make you all big and bulky and slow you down.

donoraen
2/13/2011 1:46am,
not really I played football in highschool and there were guys in my weightclass
who could lift substantial more then me and guys who lifted substantial less.

also my best friend is about 200 im about 180 but my max
is about 60lbs higher than his because he does not weightlift he just
does boxing cardio.

In regards to to the 135 Im pretty sure a welter weight boxer
could hurt a civilian rapist mugger who was much bigger.
I had a a chick in muay thai class when i first started and when she landed
a MT kick to the ribs it def hurt,and this was not going full blast.
A rapist/mugger with a knife/gun is going to win. There is no amount of training/lifting that is going to make vegas favor the unarmed man.

goodlun
2/13/2011 1:53am,
And there are way too many variables in the 130 vs 220 situation to consider. But try fighting someone with 100 pounds on you sometime -- i walk at about 135-140, you're definitely not ever going to have a good chance of taking down someone twice your size with any kind of unarmed fighting. But a K/O isnt the only way to avoid getting mugged/raped/whatever.
BS
Your not going to take someone down that has 100lbs on you if they are close to your skill but I seen 130lb BJJ Purple belts roll with and dominate 230lb pure muscle blue belt Marines. Ok fine that is grappling and not striking. I have seen 120lb woman boxer chew up a 300lb man that didn't know **** about striking. So skill can beat size.

Like_A_Boss
2/13/2011 2:06am,
How about if Bruce Lee fought a Bear?

Don't bother weight training it will only make you all big and bulky and slow you down.

No weight training? Only make you big and bulky? and slow you down?
I take it that as your first line this is meant to be a joke. Cause no one can possible believe that weight training will slow you down. I was actually reading up on this very subject awhile back cause i wanted to change my workout to heavier lifting less reps and i came across a article, below is the first few lines.

"There is no question about it! The stronger you are the faster you will be able to run. It's as simple as that!! Does that mean that the strongest man in the world can be the fastest man in the world? Let's take a closer look at strength training for speed improvement.

Physics tells us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Transferring this concept to sprinting simply means that the more force we apply to the ground as we put our foot down in a running motion, the more force will be returned to us in the form of energy to propel us down the track or playing field."

Strength is a huge part of fighting. Just vary the workout so you got high rep low weight days and high weight low rep days.

DayOfTheJackass
2/13/2011 3:35am,
OP, you mentioned force in your post, in terms of mass and 'speed'. This is not a good way to view effective striking. You need to consider 'power' more than force, the latter just being what is required to more or less push something.

MMAMickey
2/13/2011 7:11am,
Does strength translate directly into KO power? No.

Does increased strength increase KO power in someone who is already proficient in striking. Probably, yes.

As for the whole fighting people bigger than you thing, as the smaller person you will always need to bring something extra to the table to be able to win. This can be skill/strength/power/agression etc. Strength and power are the less likely advantages, because they tend to associate with increased mass, however aggression and skill are two things that are possessed by many smaller martial artists and can be very effective, especially the former, which has the advantage of taking some people completely out of their element, and is probably the deciding factor in the majority of 'streetfights'.

PDA
2/13/2011 8:21am,
http://www.lowkick.com/UFC/GSP-I-dont-believe-in-strength-and-conditioning-i-lift-weights-for-looks-11160

shaolin pimp
2/13/2011 9:45am,
Does strength translate directly into KO power? No.

Does increased strength increase KO power in someone who is already proficient in striking. Probably, yes.

I was waiting for someone to say this! To OP go buy Joel Jamieson's book! would spiderman beat batman? lol