PDA

View Full Version : Tips For Beginner Interested in Muay Thai?

R6
2/08/2011 10:11am,
Hey guys, my name is Sean and I'm 18 years old. I've been interested in MA for a while now, and am really interested in Muay Thai in particular. I just have no idea where to start.

I've looked into several local Muay Thai/MMA gyms and am going to see them in person today. Just wondering if you guys have any tips for a beginner, advice for training, insight as to what I will be learning/practicing, etc.

As for my introduction, I live in Clearwater, FL, go to the University of South Florida, and love riding my 2007 Yamaha R6 (see picture below).

I'm 6'2'' 213 lbs currently (still leaning out, I'd like to get down to ~190ish), I work out (cardio and lifting) every day. I've lost a significant amount of weight and put on a bit of muscle, I used to weigh 245 lbs. I guess you could say that was the motivation to start training. I always wanted to, but at my heaviest, knew I couldn't keep up until I lost some fat.

As for being new to the forum- I have over 1200 posts on r6-forum.com so I'm not new to the forum atmosphere, you can be smart asses all you want as long as you're a bit helpful in the process :icon_wink

Oh, and here's the bike for those who are interested
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2089/1000190e.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/171/1000191n.jpg

R6
2/08/2011 12:08pm,
bump?

It is Fake
2/08/2011 12:23pm,
Did you just bump a 2 hour old thread? Don't do that as it is against the rules.

R6
2/08/2011 1:46pm,
no...

:tinfoil:

WhiteShark
2/08/2011 7:46pm,
find local MT schools and visit them

donoraen
2/09/2011 1:31am,
Clearwater Fl....so, how are the scientologists treating you? And to make this not a troll post, depending on what you're looking for in a school, you may want to sit in on one of their competetion team's workouts, and if they don't compete, that might be a bad sign.

Also nice bike, but I think you need to resize it because I can't see about a quarter of your post with it up there.

bigskymma
2/14/2011 11:58am,
Just a few things if you do decide on committing to MT:

1. Toughen/Harden your shins by working on the heavy bag/tear drop bag or sparring with shin guards on.

2. Really focus on your hips and form. Your a big guy so you will probably have some natural "power". If you can addd proper form it will work even more in your favor.

3. Ask questions. Your instructors want to teach you and love to answer questions (generally).

_Aero_
2/18/2011 12:14am,
I hope you like milk, because this will help your recovery process from all the bashing you're going to endure. Especially for your shins. Oh, and I hope you also like pain.

xD

clinchchilla
2/20/2011 12:49am,
Do NOT roll bottles/pins on your shins or hit them with objects. This deadens the nerves but doesn't harden the shins, IIRC, so it might lead to a Corey Hill scenario, which is unpleasant for all parties involved.

And buy shinguards ASAP.