PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the UK

kitkatninja
1/30/2011 1:28pm,
Hi All,

First post here.

I guess a bit of history...

Studied karate (Shotokan, then Freestyle) for 6 years, gained my 1st Dan in 2002 and my 2nd Dan in 2004. Stopped to injuries.

Rstarted karate (ishinryu) in 2006, got to 6th Kyu before my old injuries resurfaced, forcing me to stop again.

Fast forward to 2011, and I'm trying again, this time with kickboxing (no low stances, so less chance of aggravating my old injuries). Didn't realise how unfit, unbalanced and inflexible I've become.

Other arts I've tried, but hold no rank in include:
Tai Chi, Kung Fu (Lee Style & Lau Gar), Ninpo, Judo, JKD, Kendo... There's probably one or two more arts that I tried, but as I only did a handful of lessons in each of them I'm bound to forget the odd one or two :)

-Ken

Kovacs
1/30/2011 1:36pm,
Welcome to Bulkshido and good luck with the new training.

Nefron
1/30/2011 1:45pm,
Welcome to Bullshido!

What is freestyle karate?

Tonuzaba
1/30/2011 2:14pm,
Hi, welcome and enjoy your training.

Why such a username though?

kitkatninja
1/31/2011 4:31am,
Thanks for the welcome guys :)

...Why such a username though?

It's actually one of my gaming tags. Kitkat was the name of my first gaming clan many years ago (and I kept it as part of my username after it disbanded) and Ninja - various reasons (ninpo was the first art I tried, kitkatshotokan didn't follow as well, kitkatkid - well abbreivated didn't bold well, etc...).

-Ken

Tonuzaba
1/31/2011 4:47am,
:-)

Fine, thanx for the answer. You have naturally total freedom in chosing a username, it just sounded so... childish. Nevermind.

Enjoy your training and use Bullshido to your growth.

bigstu31s
1/31/2011 5:08am,
Hi All,

First post here.

I guess a bit of history...

Studied karate (Shotokan, then Freestyle) for 6 years, gained my 1st Dan in 2002 and my 2nd Dan in 2004. Stopped to injuries.

Rstarted karate (ishinryu) in 2006, got to 6th Kyu before my old injuries resurfaced, forcing me to stop again.

Fast forward to 2011, and I'm trying again, this time with kickboxing (no low stances, so less chance of aggravating my old injuries). Didn't realise how unfit, unbalanced and inflexible I've become.

Other arts I've tried, but hold no rank in include:
Tai Chi, Kung Fu (Lee Style & Lau Gar), Ninpo, Judo, JKD, Kendo... There's probably one or two more arts that I tried, but as I only did a handful of lessons in each of them I'm bound to forget the odd one or two :)

-Ken

6 years to get a 2nd Dan seems awful quick. I assume you were training 3-4 times a week?
Why, when you started Karate again in 2006 did you only manage 6th kyu? Surely as a 2nd dan in shotokan you would have flown through the belts or did you not study ishinryu for very long before gettign injured again?
Also what injuries did you actually get and have they been treated or just left in the hope that they dont come back?

sorry about all the questions, i'm just trying to paint a picture.
Oh and welcome to Bullshido

kitkatninja
1/31/2011 1:59pm,
...You have naturally total freedom in chosing a username, it just sounded so... childish. Nevermind...

Even though I'm in my 30's, I'm still a big kid at heart :)

6 years to get a 2nd Dan seems awful quick. I assume you were training 3-4 times a week?

4-5 times a week, plus I also did Body Combat (for extra aerobic training) on top of that.

Well I only did ishinryu karate for 3 months, and they allowed me to do the 8th, 7th & 6th kyu grading on the same day - not quite black belt level, but faster than someone without previous experience. Added to that not all kata movements are the same when going from one style of karate to another and I wasn't in a rush to gain another black belt.

Also what injuries did you actually get and have they been treated or just left in the hope that they dont come back?

I damaged the ligaments in my knees. It may not sound that bad, but for me it was. Got checked out by a GP who said to give it a rest or take up a softer MA like Tai Chi.

sorry about all the questions, i'm just trying to paint a picture.
Oh and welcome to Bullshido

No worries, thanks :)

-Ken

twisted mind
1/31/2011 4:23pm,
Welcome to Bullshido and enjoy your stay.

helmutlvx
1/31/2011 8:16pm,
I had a buddy who I used to train with in karate with messed up knees. That **** can be killer.

Good luck with the kickboxing and welcome, man.