PDA

View Full Version : Slings!

Pages : [1] 2

3moose1
1/25/2011 12:57am,
Alright gents, slings: What are we all using?

1 point? 2 point? 3 point?

I'm using a Husky Amentum, a quick adjust 2 point wonder. It's got an easy loop for adjusting, and coupled with an angled foregrip, its given me the most stable standing/kneeling shooting positions I've had. It lets me carry my weapon in a comfortable position, where as 1 and 3 points are always hitting me in the damn knees. Plus, with 3 points I'm always getting the sling caught up in ****, or its too loose/too tight, and just have never generally liked them.

I like 1 points for ease of use, but they dangle too much for my taste. This quick adjust 2 point lets me carry the rifle across my body and out of the way of my knees, while allowing me quick access to it.

I like this one, but I'm curious to see everyone's opinions/what they use.

http://aresarmor.com/install/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=aahuskey2pt

Yrkoon9
1/25/2011 10:19am,
I used a wolf hook while deployed. But while training I always use a single point bungee. The three points just move around too much for me - I like the "feel" of them but they are a pain in the ass to put on and adjust correctly.

When I dig my wolf hook out of a box someplace I will be using it again.

Gezere
1/25/2011 1:18pm,
I used a wolf hook last deployment too. I also had a Mamba (3 point) I actually liked that when we were in the mountains because I didn't have to worry about my weapon dangling and hitting **** when I had to climb. I used the wolf hook the rest of the time.

Devil
1/25/2011 2:50pm,
Single points are the best for maneuvering and shooting from awkward positions, but I prefer 3 point slings. I don't like the dangling with a single point sling and I don't like my muzzle sticking in the dirt if I want to take a knee while I'm using my sidearm.

Cassius
1/25/2011 3:25pm,
I've always used a 2 point sling that I constructed myself out of a standard M4 sling. I made harness points out of 4 or 5 loops of gutted 550, bowline knots, and gorilla tape. The 550 brings the sling away from the weapon, but attaches where I want it to (the same places that the husky one 3moose1 linked to). Some of the AFO guys I used to work with showed me how to rig it up. By the end of my last deployment, most of my teammates had made their own versions of my sling. It's pretty much the ****.

Wounded Ronin
1/25/2011 6:40pm,
Can anyone give me advice as to how I might get a Vietnam War era sling for my AR?

Gezere
1/25/2011 7:04pm,
Can anyone give me advice as to how I might get a Vietnam War era sling for my AR?
That should be at pretty much any surplus store out there.
It should be the same 2 point slings that most units use now.

Wounded Ronin
1/25/2011 8:57pm,
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to call the handful of stores in town...I really want to complete the look of my handguards.

wetware
1/25/2011 10:43pm,
Dammit. I thought this was a thread about tossing smooth rocks really fast with strips of leather.

3moose1
1/29/2011 1:42am,
I've always used a 2 point sling that I constructed myself out of a standard M4 sling. I made harness points out of 4 or 5 loops of gutted 550, bowline knots, and gorilla tape. The 550 brings the sling away from the weapon, but attaches where I want it to (the same places that the husky one 3moose1 linked to). Some of the AFO guys I used to work with showed me how to rig it up. By the end of my last deployment, most of my teammates had made their own versions of my sling. It's pretty much the ****.

I don't have much experience with slings, but I've always hated the 3 points I've been issued. **** got tangled, couldn't get it adjusted, etc.

One points aren't bad, I've got a decent one but I'm also a lazy bitch so if i'm not holding it, i hate how that dirty slut smacks my knees like a pimp.

I'm loving quick adjust 2 points. Especially that amentum. That thing is the ****, lets you sling it easily, yet still bring it up in a good shooting position on the fly.

our BN Gunner is ordering slings/angled foregrips for the BN. Supposedly. (and we're also all going to jump school!)

Wounded Ronin
1/29/2011 6:09pm,
I was able to go to a surplus store today and get a green nylon Vietnam era rifle sling. I got excited and also got an old "pistol belt", and 2 green mag pouches for the AR 15 mags.

Now, the question is...how do I attach that sling to the rifle? :o

Wounded Ronin
1/29/2011 7:06pm,
Here is a picture of my rifle, and the sling I got.

http://i51.tinypic.com/23h3tj7.jpg

EDIT: It looks like I might be missing one piece of the sling, to make the second loop at the front of the rifle. Does it look like that to you, too?

I'll stop by the surplus store again tomorrow.

Wounded Ronin
1/29/2011 7:11pm,
Just for fun, here are the mag pouches.

http://i51.tinypic.com/ips6r9.jpg

And the belt.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2jg77z8.jpg

Wounded Ronin
1/30/2011 4:55pm,
Well, folks, I went back to the surplus store and traded that sling for another one. The one I have is canvas, as opposed to nylon, so it's not quite Vietnamalicious. According to my reading, the military had switched from canvas to nylon in Vietnam because canvas rotted away too quickly in the jungle.

Anyway, the sling I got had the second clip on it, so it was much easier to attach to the rifle. I took a couple pictures of my rifle with the canvas sling. Is it attached correctly?

http://i51.tinypic.com/29wail2.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/mvghtf.jpg

3moose1
1/30/2011 5:37pm,
yes, yes it is.

You see the part you were missing, the sling keeper? You could have just taken it off of that canvas sling and put it on the nylon one.

Wounded Ronin
1/30/2011 6:20pm,
yes, yes it is.

You see the part you were missing, the sling keeper? You could have just taken it off of that canvas sling and put it on the nylon one.

Ha ha, I guess you're right. The only problem is that I exchanged the nylon one for the canvas one.

Oh well, I'll worry about getting another nylon sling later. :)