PDA

View Full Version : …Senior Military Adviser to the Great Eastern Army

Pages : [1] 2

judoarmo
1/05/2011 12:45pm,
Although I've been a member for awhile, this is my first post. I think this is the right place to get to the bottom of this "mystery". This info comes from a thread at the Judo Forum. The Judo Forum thread regarding "O-Sensei" Kunin, became more a debate about what constitutes legitimacy rather than his credentials, so I'm curious if anyone has more info regarding his pedigree.

http://www.kunin-jj.org/o-sensei_kunin

This gentleman claims to be a 10th Dan in Judo, but does not specify an organization he lists Sensei Phil Porter, Toney Raven and John Denora as fellow 10th Dans, so I'm assuming his rank may be through Sensei Porter's organization, The USMAA. I've had some experience with Sensei Porter, when he began the USMAA he contacted me and offered me a Godan promotion to join, and pay the dues of course (I was a Shodan or NiDan at the time, and I did not take him up on his offer) Sensei Porter is indeed a talented Judoka, but as many have pointed out in prior posts the conclusion that he is selling rank seems well-founded.

I found the part about his traced lineage to a 9th century Japanese Shogun particularly interesting.

Rock Ape
1/05/2011 1:25pm,
There are so many red flags with that website and the material contained within it, my eyes are strained from all the rolling.

Good ole Phil Porter and crew strike again.

judoka_uk
1/05/2011 1:47pm,
He's not a Judo 10th dan.

Permalost
1/05/2011 2:09pm,
He's not a Judo 10th dan.
Do you know if he has any rank with the Kodokan?

judoka_uk
1/05/2011 2:16pm,
Do you know if he has any rank with the Kodokan?
No idea and I have no way of checking, easily. However, seeing as anyone in he US who gets a legitimate dan grade can get a carbon copy Kodokan grade in the post he could have one, but it won't be 10th dan or anything over 6th/7th.

Edit:
There are several pictures of Kunin in a brown belt on the AJJIF figures website.

Here's one with Phil Porter
http://www.ajjif.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/img022.12503812.jpg

So presumably a Judo brown belt.

And with Wally Jay, so presumably, a Jiujitsu brown belt

http://www.ajjif.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/img021.12502740.jpg

He seems to have had a somewhat meteoric rise in grade...

DarkPhoenix
1/05/2011 2:34pm,
He is definitely not a Judo judan in ANY of the US orgs. Currently there are 3 judans in the world, as recognised by the Kodokan.

Daigo, Toshiro (1926- ), Promoted 10th Dan 2006
Abe, Ichiro, Promoted 10th Dan 2006
Osawa, Yoshimi, Promoted 10th Dan 2006

judoarmo
1/05/2011 2:42pm,
What about all the other 10th Dans he holds?

"O-Sensei Alexey Kunin during his Lifetime Achievements in Martial Arts has reached the highest level of Red Belt - 10 Dan Rank in the styles of: Katabami Ryu Ju-Jitsu, Combat Ju-Jitsu, Combat Karate, Aiki Jitsu, Judo, Fudokan - Shotokan Karate Do, Okinawa Shuri Ken Shorin Ryu Karate Do, and Received Recognition by the Italian Centro Sportivo Educativo Nazionale ( CSEN ) under the Italian National Olympic Committee ( CONI )"

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that he's a 10th in ALL of these (not a 9th in one and 7th in another)

judoarmo
1/05/2011 3:05pm,
He is definitely not a Judo judan in ANY of the US orgs. Currently there are 3 judans in the world, as recognised by the Kodokan.

You are absolutely correct…although there are others through the EJU and IJF: (Geesink, Kerr, Nauwelaerts, Shin DoHwan, Suk and Cortine (his rank is still in process)

No mention of an Alexey Kunin…

judoka_uk
1/05/2011 3:14pm,
You are absolutely correct…although there are others through the EJU and IJF: (Geesink, Kerr, Nauwelaerts, Shin DoHwan, Suk and Cortine (his rank is still in process)

No mention of an Alexey Kunin…
Because he doesn't have a genuine Judo 10th dan.

Permalost
1/05/2011 3:37pm,
Is he Japanese? To me he looks caucasian. The reason I'm wondering is the unbroken bloodline going back over 1200 years.

DarkPhoenix
1/05/2011 3:40pm,
Is he Japanese? To me he looks caucasian. The reason I'm wondering is the unbroken bloodline going back over 1200 years.

He's about as Japanese as I am. His wife Olga is the second in command.

Gezere
1/05/2011 3:41pm,
Saigo ha Daito Ryu Aikibujutsu - Menkyo Kaiden (which does NOT equal successor)???
Saigo ha Katabami Ryu JJ - Headmaster/Head family????

For it to be Saigo ha that would mean there is someone named Saigo who started this particular line but I can't find any info on it or the Katabami school period outside of this guys affiliated sites.

Just an FYI I have found nothing saying he is a JKA Judan.

judoka_uk
1/05/2011 3:42pm,
I think that's a misreading I don't think he's claiming to be a blood descendant rather that there is an unbroken lineage going back to the bloodline of the system founder and the Emperor.

Like this:
http://www.ajjif.org/ajjif_executive_branch/lineage

He has a Russian name and sounds like he has a Russian accent when speaking in the videos.

Rock Ape
1/05/2011 4:36pm,
Saigo-ha is an invention of a westerner, I forget the name but it's all associated with Halls of fame, World Soke Councils and dan grade/title circle-jerking.

Saigo-ha is no more Japanese than Katabami Ryu.

Edit:

The "offical" homepage of Saigo-ha:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/xu/um_2705/main.html

Headed by a 9th dan westerner by the name of John Williams

Gezere
1/05/2011 4:41pm,
Saigo-ha is an invention of a westerner, I forget the name but it's all associated with Halls of fame, World Soke Councils and dan grade/title circle-jerking.

Saigo-ha is no more Japanese than Katabami Ryu.

I figured as much.

Rock Ape
1/05/2011 4:49pm,
Interesting how there seems to be more than one "headmaster" of Saigo-ha.

Here : Taken from the Kunin website