PDA

View Full Version : dodgy techniques in magazines

kojindo
3/07/2004 11:40am,
Lately I've been noticing in martial arts magazines that some of the techniques in their technique workshops are little... questionable.

I grabbed one the other day, and it showed this TKD chick who would have been about 16 or 17 years old, about 150cm tall and about 50kg ( sorry for you imperial users ) being confronted by an aggressor. She had a wall behind her that was about 3 or 4 metres away. So what does she do? She turns her back on her opponent, rushes toward the wall, runs up it and using her foot to push off the wall does a spinning kick to the guy's head ( who, amazingly enough, is now within kicking range even though he was standing even further away from the wall than she was.

Far fetched? I reckon so.

I think the publishers of these mags have a huge responsibility when it comes to presenting technique workshops. I just hope some kid doesn't try the method above and slip and smash his teeth into the wall, or get pounded when the aggressor simply stands back and waits for them to complete the kick and still be airborne where they have no control of their movement.

Anyone else noticed this trend? Like simple right punches or knife thrusts that would never have hit their intended target?

kojindo
3/07/2004 11:47am,
I love it when the captions don't even match the picture, like, "A throws right punch at B's head which A deflects" but in the picture B's fist is floating around harmlessly outside A's shoulder.

X_plosion
3/07/2004 12:04pm,
Lots of times, you'll notice that the authors have also purchased full page ads in the magazine where their article appeared. "Quality Control" can and does get overlooked in those cases.

SMF
3/07/2004 12:16pm,
eheheh blitz magazine SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Will
3/07/2004 12:28pm,
150cm and 50 kg?

thast a pretty tiny chick...

JackHanma
3/08/2004 5:45am,
Quote: She had a wall behind her that was about 3 or 4 metres away. So what does she do? She turns her back on her opponent, rushes toward the wall, runs up it and using her foot to push off the wall does a spinning kick to the guy's head ( who, amazingly enough, is now within kicking range even though he was standing even further away from the wall than she was.

Are you saying moves from the Matrix don't work? WTF! You just need to free your mind. Stupid Noob don't question the Matrix. We'll send Agents after you.

Prone
3/08/2004 5:51am,
lol

...the matrix has you...

Hannibal
3/08/2004 5:57am,
Ahhhhh another Bullshidoist from the great land of Australia. Welcome. Yes martial arts magazines suck and are designed to sell products and advertisments. Yes what you saw probably was bullshit.

Kenshin
3/08/2004 6:05am,
Great for a laugh, though...

Hannibal
3/08/2004 6:15am,
I still don't like them.

SLJ
3/08/2004 6:16am,
Don't even bother looking at them.