PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from Perth West Australia

JiuJitsuJoe
12/22/2010 10:04pm,
Hey Guys,

Just saying hello. I'm from Perth West Australia, I started BJJ about 8 months ago and am really enjoying the challenge. Had a 2 month break recently due to a career change. I started working in the mines, Fly in Fly out 2 weeks on 1 week off. The roster has just changed to 2 weeks on 2 weeks off which I'm stoked about.

I'm only managing about 2 classes a week while I'm back at the moment and I workout my cardio at the work gym when I'm at the mines. I'm going to start up some day classes soon i've just been very lazy as of late.

I started BJJ orginally for a fun way to get fit and lose some weight. I'm 6'3 weighed about 105kg (I think about 230pounds) and was incredibly unfit for a 23 yr old. Since then my fitness has improved dramatically. The weight still doesn't seem to want to budge. The Doctor reckons I could do with losing 15kgs.

My Martial Arts background consists of the standard 6 months of Karate I did when I was about 8yrs old and my youthful belief that Kung Fu was the deadliest of all MA's. I still remember when I was in high school their was this really small kid that was a blackbelt in TKD (At the age of 15) who used to practice his high kicks during lunch. Everybody genuinely thought he could kick anyones ass.

Now I'm older and somewhat wiser I'm of the belief that if techniques can't be done against a fully resisting oppenent then they aren't worth jack. That's why I love BJJ, all the techniques you learn can be put into practice during free rolling. Would love to tryout some Muay Thai soon, my school is considering some day classes for MT that would be awesome for my schedule.

If you want to know anything else about me ask away.

Joe

paci-fist
3/06/2011 1:15am,
Hey Joe, pleased to meet you mate, welcome from a fellow noob. I'm fly in fly out myself so I feel your pain about not getting to train at the school much. Which school are you at btw?