PDA

View Full Version : Let Hip arthritis stop me from training?

brokenwing
12/20/2010 6:51pm,
Hi guys, been training BJJ for the last 3 years, 4-5X a week. Before I started training I broke my thigh in a car accident. That left me with some misalignment in my hips. It never bothered me before, but lately I've been noticing that there's a lot of discomfort coming from my hip. Also there's that grinding sound too, doesn't hurt but it scares me every time I feel it.

What this pretty much tells me is that I'm slowly destroying my hip. My GP says that I should find a different "hobby" but this is kind of more than a hobby to me. I'm close to making some drastic changes in my life to accommodate for more training time but should I even bother if my hip is already shot?

I'm 26 years old, no spring chicken, so I understand that if I am to make a real run at going pro it's gotta be now or never. But thoughts of screwing up my hip is freaking me out. What do you guys think?

RichD
12/20/2010 9:26pm,
No spring chicken, ha ha your a freaking riot. Your a but a wee baby. If you hear grinding your probably dealing with arthritis. Grinding in the knee, hip or any other major joint is the sound of bone on bone, meaning your cartilage is wearing away.

You need to see an orthopedic surgeon. On a non-medical note, I would highly recommend Glucosamine and chondroitan. The combination helps your joints.

brokenwing
12/21/2010 6:05am,
Weird, I thought I posted this in the grappling forum... I've read about the Glucosamine and have been on it for a little while, but have yet to try chondroitin. I also heard fish oils will help my cause too.

Does anyone know how quickly a joint can deteriorate with heavy training?

RichD
12/21/2010 9:32pm,
Weird, I thought I posted this in the grappling forum... I've read about the Glucosamine and have been on it for a little while, but have yet to try chondroitin. I also heard fish oils will help my cause too.

Fish oil is also good, it helps with lubrication. Try the combo pill of Glucosamone and Chondroitin. Make sure the fish oil is of good quality, meaning it shows the amount of DHA and EPA, also the source of the fish, ie: sardines,mackeral. The smaller fish such as I mentiuoned are a better quality. I take Nordic Naturals. There are other top quality fish oil supplements also.

wetware
12/21/2010 9:50pm,

It depends on the damage and the case. There's no way anyone who's not a doctor can give you an accurate assessment and even then not over the internet. I've been training for several years on damaged knees and every now and again they do something that really sucks, leaving me limping for a couple weeks but usually they function just fine. Glugosamine and chondroitin help, but won't likely make it go away completely.

As for the post not being in the grappling section, it's likely because that forum is heavily moderated for advanced grappling topics only. That combined with your low post count probably got it moved here.

Rexley
12/21/2010 10:05pm,

To reiterate what everyone else is saying: see a doctor. It's possible (although doubtful from the way you describe it) that the damage isn't as bad as you think. Regardless, if you're really thinking about dropping everything in favor pursuing a pro career in BJJ, you need to make sure your body can handle it.