PDA

View Full Version : I had my black belt grading yesterday and...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Apollo1982
12/20/2010 10:13am,
After 5 hours of grading I have my first degree black belt in Chameleon Combat Karate :icon_cool.

My hand is swollen from the demolition test, my whole body feels like I've been beat up and after drinking fluids from the time grading ended 'til right now i still feel dehydrated.

I had to do an endurance test
Execute 120 techniques from the syllabus (10 from each level up to black belt)
Execute 5 forms and 2 bunkai
Short edged weapon (knife), long edged weapon (cutlass), short stick, long stick (pool stick) disarms from frontal attacks
Gun disarms from frontal, rear and side attacks
All weapons were real, the gun was loaded, i'm sure the safety was on though...i hope. In any case i didn't get shot.
Fight in 3 stricking matches, 3 grappling matches, 3 mma matches and 2 2-on-1 matches (against 2nd degree and above black belts).
submit a 500 word essay on how my training has helped in my progressive personal development.
be interviewed by a panel of black belts.

It was the hardest thing i've ever had to do, but i'm glad that I experienced it. The Grand Master said that future gradings are easier...that's the same thing he said when i got my senior white belt :eusa_liar

CoffeeFan
12/20/2010 10:15am,
Congrats! How long have you been training for? Do you have video?

twisted mind
12/20/2010 10:22am,
Congratulations!!

and Merry Christmas!

Apollo1982
12/20/2010 10:26am,
Thanks, I've been training for 4 years now. I train 3 days a week for 2 hrs each. It used to be 4 times a week, but one of the classes was cancelled earlier this year because of poor attendance.

I'm lucky in the sense that classes are really convenient for me. The dojo is just a 10 minute drive from where I work and since classes begin at 5:30 and I work 'til 4:30, it's very easy for me to get there.

The Grand Master's wife was video-tapping the grading yesterday, but I'm not sure whether i'll be able to get a copy of it :( I know the forum's general rule of "videos or it didn't happen" so I'll try to see what I can do.

Rexley
12/20/2010 10:28am,
Congrats! :eusa_clap

Sounds like a pretty legit test. How long were the matches?

Apollo1982
12/20/2010 10:32am,
Congrats! :eusa_clap

Sounds like a pretty legit test. How long were the matches?The matches were 2 minutes each with no rest in between. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but after the rest of the test, they felt like 10 minute matches :(

Rexley
12/20/2010 10:51am,
The matches were 2 minutes each with no rest in between. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but after the rest of the test, they felt like 10 minute matches :(

Heh, I think we all know this feeling. Two minute matches don't sound like much...until you have a bunch of them, back to back, against fresh opponents. Under those conditions, thirty seconds can feel like eternity.

Again, congrats. Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on those vids.

Edit: I just did the math. Am I mistaken, or did you do 22 minutes of continuous sparring? That's pretty insane by anyone's standards.

gregaquaman
12/20/2010 11:01am,
Well done. Piece of advice allways do your own video. It just never seems to get given to you otherwise.

Apollo1982
12/20/2010 11:23am,
Well done. Piece of advice allways do your own video. It just never seems to get given to you otherwise.Yeah, I kinda dropped the ball on that one :(

The only problem is that the general class isn't allowed to sit in on black belt gradings and all of the black belts there were either being used as ukes or on the judging panel so there was no one to hold the camera and switch discs when they got full :(

Kaffe
12/20/2010 11:38am,
Congratulations! I must say I find the loaded gun part of your examination somewhat disturbing, though. But that's probably me just being a *****.

Apollo1982
12/20/2010 11:56am,
Heh, I think we all know this feeling. Two minute matches don't sound like much...until you have a bunch of them, back to back, against fresh opponents. Under those conditions, thirty seconds can feel like eternity.

Again, congrats. Hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on those vids.

Edit: I just did the math. Am I mistaken, or did you do 22 minutes of continuous sparring? That's pretty insane by anyone's standards.Not quite, I had 3 "back to back" striking matches, then the other person grading had his striking matches, then grappling, then mma in the same manner.

Permalost
12/20/2010 11:59am,
All weapons were real, the gun was loaded, i'm sure the safety was on though...i hope. In any case i didn't get shot.
I hope you're not serious.

Apollo1982
12/20/2010 12:02pm,
Congratulations! I must say I find the loaded gun part of your examination somewhat disturbing, though. But that's probably me just being a *****.

Yeah i was a little intimidated by the thought of a loaded gun, especially since guns are HEAVILY regulated in Barbados so I had not handled a real gun before that. But the Grand Master called me into the office on Wednesday so that i could get a feel for the weight of the gun (it's a totally different feel from the rubber guns that we use when training :O ) but I guess u never know how you're going to react 'til u have the real thing pressed against your forehead.

Permalost
12/20/2010 12:05pm,
So, loaded guns for people with no firearms training, to point at people at contact range?

Rexley
12/20/2010 12:22pm,
But the Grand Master called me into the office on Wednesday so that i could get a feel for the weight of the gun

My reaction: :5shocking

I somehow missed the "loaded gun" part of the original post. Apollo, did your GM at least teach you how to handle the weapon safely? The reason I ask is, firearms are a big part of my job (I'm an infantryman in the US Army) and hearing about such a blatant lack of firearms safety makes my hair stand on end. I can only hope that your GM left the gun empty but just told you it's loaded to make it feel more "real".

Actually, if you didn't know whether the safety was on or not shows that you didn't get a whole lot of safety training at all. This isn't just disturbing, it's reckless, irresponsible, and insanely dangerous. I'm not trying to insult your school or instructors, but this is something that should really give you pause.

It is Fake
12/20/2010 12:30pm,
My reaction: :5shocking

I somehow missed the "loaded gun" part of the original post. Apollo, did your GM at least teach you how to handle the weapon safely?

Doesn't matter. You do not play with real guns. If this is true I am appalled.

Congratulations and now go find a new gym.