PDA

View Full Version : TKD w/ a WC twist- possible or no?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

thelastiger
12/19/2010 10:57pm,
Do you think basic training in wing chun/jkd (+ chain punching, or just using hands in general) would help, or hurt, a TKD person when they are doing TKD?

possible pros- L2use hands a bit, and possibly how to get into punching range, deliver a few fast blows, and get back out. might get more comfortable with the hands than any tkd class would ever teach; might have a unique advantage that most sport tkd sparrers wont see coming.

possible cons- the stances might be too different to help at all (tkd side fighting stance vs wing chun square and straight, centerline idea?); a possible inability in switching back and forth between the two attacking/retreating things in tkd sparring.

[i know this is bullshido, and most ppl r just going to say wat the fk, tkd, wc, sux, but im not too interested in judo bjj boxing or wrestling. for some reason the thought of training with a bunch of sweaty guys on me isnt that appealing to me right now.]

even if you think it would be mostly ineffective, try to answer by saying crosstraining in WC/jkd would either HELP or HURT a TKD style. thats my main question. kthx

Goju - Joe
12/19/2010 11:06pm,
[i know this is bullshido, and most ppl r just going to say wat the fk, tkd, wc, sux, but im not too interested in judo bjj boxing or wrestling. for some reason the thought of training with a bunch of sweaty guys on me isnt that appealing to me right now.]

Then do Muay Thai for **** sakes!

Plus boxing doesn't involve sweaty guys on you, just sweaty guys punchign you in the face.

thelastiger
12/19/2010 11:13pm,
..yeah iuno.. i think i want to know if theres a striking art that has to do with more speed and accuracy than just brute force. something that would complement tkd.

..and id rather some1 answer the question.. thanks :)

Goju - Joe
12/19/2010 11:18pm,
..yeah iuno.. i think i want to know if theres a striking art that has to do with more speed and accuracy than just brute force. something that would complement tkd.

Your understanding about speed and force is completely wrong if you think boxing and Muay Thai are about brute force.

Don't assume go try some classes and then get back to us.

goodlun
12/19/2010 11:31pm,

Boxing is about speed and accuracy.
More to the point Boxing works WC really just plain old doesn't. Is adding WC to your TDK going to hurt you? Not likely(although I am sure others here will say it will).
Better question though is it really going to do you any good?
No, it really isn't.

thelastiger
12/19/2010 11:31pm,
ive tried some muay thai classes, maybe it was the instructor or maybe it was because i was the only girl in a room with too much testosterone, hahah. anyway it didnt feel like me at the time, who knows my mind might change in a few years, but for now i just want to know how the mix in my OP would work out.

hope someone with some WC or JKD knowledge can come around and help out with this..

PS i should probably say that im not interested in MMA type fighting, im more of a rec fighter or w.e

SFH
12/19/2010 11:37pm,
I'm may regret saying this but I do have some wing chun experience and I do taekwondo. The one wing chun concept that I was able to use during sparring was to put my hand on a blocking arm muscle of my opponent and strike to the opening. This only worked if they were blocking and weren't showing aggression. There's a counter to this but isn't there always?

thelastiger
12/19/2010 11:40pm,
sfh how long did you do wc?

and did you have difficulty switching stances or did you find that they were sorta similar?

meaning did it make your tkd slower or worse off in any way

Goju - Joe
12/19/2010 11:42pm,
ive tried some muay thai classes, maybe it was the instructor or maybe it was because i was the only girl in a room with too much testosterone, hahah. anyway it didnt feel like me at the time, who knows my mind might change in a few years, but for now i just want to know how the mix in my OP would work out.

hope someone with some WC or JKD knowledge can come around and help out with this..

PS i should probably say that im not interested in MMA type fighting, im more of a rec fighter or w.e

Also WC and JKD are not the same thing

FYI Bruce Lee studied and added boxing into JKD.

Plus if your issues are training with too much testosterone around you (i have no idea where you live) you should be able to find a competent female boxer or kickboxer who can at least give you a good pad hitting work out.

greatheight
12/19/2010 11:42pm,

Why do you prefer the idea of TKD and WC to Bullshido approved MT and BJJ? How long have you been training in martial arts? Just so I can understand your reasoning and give you some advice (as much as its worth).

I can't answer your question, but I can inform you that Boxing and MT are anything but solely centered around brute force. In fact, if you are looking for excellent, practical striking, these would be the martial arts to check out.

It may be worth your while to examine the wheel before you try to re-invent it.

Goju - Joe
12/19/2010 11:43pm,
Poster is a girl and doesn't want to roll around the ground with sweaty guys on top of her, can't really blame her for that.

greatheight
12/19/2010 11:47pm,
Poster is a girl and doesn't want to roll around the ground with sweaty guys on top of her, can't really blame her for that.

Noticed just after posting, edited accordingly :)

However, I don't think that should be an issue if she wants to seriously do martial arts. As long as it was at a reputable school (maybe even one with a high percentage of female practitioners?) with a good coach, I don't think it's a good enough excuse.

goodlun
12/19/2010 11:49pm,
Just for the record.
muay thai =/= to boxing
There are 4 or 5 girls in the boxing class at the gym where I do my BJJ, of course that is just one place. Even if your not training to be a cage fighter it is usually a good idea to not waste your energy learning something that has a lot less to offer you. It sounds like your mind is already made up. I would still urge you to try a local boxing gym and see if the atmosphere is better then the MT places.
If grappling is going to be mentioned I have yet to be to a Judo school that doesn't have at least a few females at it.

thelastiger
12/19/2010 11:50pm,
~a few years of tkd.

and yes, i know wc and jkd are not the same, but i feel like their incorporation into tkd would be similar.

i guess my preference stems from how much i would be willing to be there, and fully commit myself to it. i can't see this as much with bjj and mt as much as i can with wc/jkd or tkd, but maybe i havent been bullshido'd enough and will change my mind in the future (: or maybe i have and this is just an unchangeable nature of how i feel.

[i understand that if i wanted to do something like mma, then tkd and wc would be a bit of a joke. but im not interested in mma.]

either way, the question's still at hand, thanks for your comments guys

---

Plus if your issues are training with too much testosterone around you (i have no idea where you live) you should be able to find a competent female boxer or kickboxer who can at least give you a good pad hitting work out.edit: see sometimes im the only girl at my tkd place (most days that is) and i really dont care at all. i would still do tkd regardless of how many girls there are or would be. so maybe that's not the right way to put it.

dunno, sorry, thats the best i can do to explain how i feel about it.

Poster is a girl and doesn't want to roll around the ground with sweaty guys on top of her, can't really blame her for that. hehe. ive tried jiujitsu in an informal coed afterschool setting. it was..interesting

like maybe one day ill make sure to do some ground defense classes (ahhh rape) because i understand that's important. but i am having a hard time seeing myself doing bjj for a long run atm. maybe that will change, dunno.

but the question is bout WC/jkd haha XD

Goju - Joe
12/19/2010 11:55pm,
~a few years of tkd.

and yes, i know wc and jkd are not the same, but i feel like their incorporation into tkd would be similar.

i guess my preference stems from how much i would be willing to be there, and fully commit myself to it. i can't see this as much with bjj and mt as much as i can with wc/jkd or tkd, but maybe i havent been bullshido'd enough and will change my mind in the future (: or maybe i have and this is just an unchangeable nature of how i feel.

[i understand that if i wanted to do something like mma, then tkd and wc would be a bit of a joke. but im not interested in mma.]

either way, the question's still at hand, thanks for your comments guys

edit: see sometimes im the only girl at my tkd place (most days that is) and i really dont care at all.

dunno, sorry, thats the best i can do to explain how i feel about it.

No

WC has a very static pigeon toed stance as part of their "Power Structure" JKD uses boxing and fencing footwork so they're really different.

not all JKD is the same however.

Anyways if you have to choose between WC and JKD, then choose JKD as the foot work will be more fluid.

goodlun
12/19/2010 11:55pm,

Just for clarification what exactly DO you want to accomplish with a combination of WC & TDK?