PDA

View Full Version : Hope you're all good in this s**** weather!

scottishsoldier
12/16/2010 12:46pm,
Hi guys just thought I'd be polite and introduce myself. I've been a fan of your site for a while and finally took the time to register. I'm 22, soldier of 6 years and I'm based in Edinburgh,Scotland. My background is mainly Western boxing(in the Army) and typical JapSlap stuff you learn in the Infantry now and again which never even entered my mind the two occasions when I did actually encounter H2H type professionaly. I also did JKD for several years unfortunately under the Krause brothers... Not time wasted though as it got me hooked on MA and reading a lot of JKD material from both sides of the divide. I've also tried WC for a bit but it wasn't for me(I dont buy into the belief that it really works against a violent attack and I can see why Jun Fan left it) As I will be staying in Edinburgh now for the foreseen I plan to join Rick Youngs academy in the New Year to start again with JKD and also get started in MT.I look forward to reading much more opinions,discussions and BS in the future!

Yours Aye
JC

ChenPengFi
12/16/2010 12:52pm,
Welcome but the weather is pretty nice today actually..
http://wwc.instacam.com/instacamimg/KNHHN/KNHHN_l.jpg?rnd=15-121620101203

Kovacs
12/16/2010 12:54pm,
I'm freezing my testes off on this **** weather working on a farm but it's all good fun. Welcome to the site and wait and see how hard you laugh when you take up MT and realise how much WC (and possibly) JKD sucks arse.

CrackFox
12/16/2010 2:21pm,
If you're going to go to Rick Young's, you have to do the BJJ - he's one of the best BJJ guys in the UK.

There's also some great judo places nearby on Leith Walk if you're interested, though I'd stick with Rick's for the time being.

scottishsoldier
12/16/2010 3:13pm,
If you're going to go to Rick Young's, you have to do the BJJ - he's one of the best BJJ guys in the UK.

There's also some great judo places nearby on Leith Walk if you're interested, though I'd stick with Rick's for the time being.

Cheers for the heads up. I've heard about Rick's BJJ from the same source who pointed to him for MT and I will definately give it a look as I'm plannin to train the maximum number of sessions that I can fit around work/Mrs/Child.I reckon for such a world class expert with excellent instructors, it's worth the money(which seems very reasonable when you look at what you can get for the same price as what some Krav places etc charge for less time on the mat) The Judo is something else to check out though, no harm in having a look like and along with boxing it's the only style the Army will take seriously at the moment and give you time to do seriously. I'll let you know how I get on after the New Year.

JC

judoka_uk
12/16/2010 8:48pm,
The Judo is something else to check out though, no harm in having a look like and along with boxing it's the only style the Army will take seriously at the moment and give you time to do seriously. I'll let you know how I get on after the New Year.

JC
We had a former guards sergeant major, at school, who had boxed for the Army and he was a tough old bastard. I imagine Army Judo is similarly no nonsense and produces tough Judoka. If you choose to puruse that, best of luck to you and I hope you get some good skills and satisfaction out of it.

By the way thank you for your service, I know its a bit woosy and American, but you boys deserve way more respect and appreciation than you get.

Do you know if his Judo dan grade is Judo scotland or an other non-BJA association because he has a Judo dan grade on his achievements list but its not on the BJA register?

Rock Ape
12/16/2010 11:33pm,
Welcome JC

I'm RAF Regiment; former Light Infantry (2LI) enlisted in 1983 long before the regiment amalgamations.

If you wish to apply for the Military tag which identifies you as such to other forum members let me know, you'll need to provide a scan of your MOD90 (to me if you like) and I'll advise the staff, you can redact your service number if you wish.

CrackFox
12/17/2010 3:32am,
Do you know if his Judo dan grade is Judo scotland or an other non-BJA association because he has a Judo dan grade on his achievements list but its not on the BJA register?
I'm pretty sure he used to train under Billy Cusack in Edinburgh, so I would guess he has a Judo Scotland rank.

Eddie Hardon
12/17/2010 10:34am,
Hi guys just thought I'd be polite and introduce myself. I've been a fan of your site for a while and finally took the time to register. I'm 22, soldier of 6 years and I'm based in Edinburgh,Scotland. My background is mainly Western boxing(in the Army) and typical JapSlap stuff you learn in the Infantry now and again which never even entered my mind the two occasions when I did actually encounter H2H type professionaly. I also did JKD for several years unfortunately under the Krause brothers... Not time wasted though as it got me hooked on MA and reading a lot of JKD material from both sides of the divide. I've also tried WC for a bit but it wasn't for me(I dont buy into the belief that it really works against a violent attack and I can see why Jun Fan left it) As I will be staying in Edinburgh now for the foreseen I plan to join Rick Youngs academy in the New Year to start again with JKD and also get started in MT.I look forward to reading much more opinions,discussions and BS in the future!

Yours Aye
JC

Welcome indeed. In your place, I would move into Rick Young's dojo until he chucked me out. He multiple skills sets: Amateur Boxer, early Karateka, Judo Dan Grade, Inosanto Kali qualified and one of the first batch of Brit BJJ BBs. Very impressive for a Postman.

Be like a Sponge and absorb as much as you can.

Scottish Soldier, eh, well, at least you're not Andy Stewart - judging by your initials. :thumbsup:

judoka_uk
12/17/2010 10:36am,
I'm pretty sure he used to train under Billy Cusack in Edinburgh, so I would guess he has a Judo Scotland rank.
Billy Cusack has top level Judo. Anyone who learnt their Judo from Billy will have a very good foundation.

OP this sounds like an excellent club, even though I've never heard of this Rick Young guy before today. Enjoy your training there.

scottishsoldier
12/18/2010 10:02am,
Welcome JC

I'm RAF Regiment; former Light Infantry (2LI) enlisted in 1983 long before the regiment amalgamations.

If you wish to apply for the Military tag which identifies you as such to other forum members let me know, you'll need to provide a scan of your MOD90 (to me if you like) and I'll advise the staff, you can redact your service number if you wish.

Hi there, what made you join the rockapes after the Army? Thanks for the welcome. I would be happy to send you a scan of my MOD90, just let me know how I can do so on here lol Cheers

scottishsoldier
12/18/2010 10:03am,
OP this sounds like an excellent club, even though I've never heard of this Rick Young guy before today. Enjoy your training there.

Thank you I will do, I can't wait to get back into some proper training and to learn again!

scottishsoldier
12/18/2010 10:07am,
Welcome indeed. In your place, I would move into Rick Young's dojo until he chucked me out. He multiple skills sets: Amateur Boxer, early Karateka, Judo Dan Grade, Inosanto Kali qualified and one of the first batch of Brit BJJ BBs. Very impressive for a Postman.

Be like a Sponge and absorb as much as you can.

Scottish Soldier, eh, well, at least you're not Andy Stewart - judging by your initials. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice I will soak up as much knowledge as I can! No my tartan is completely different from Mr Stewart's though my Grandad was a huge fan of is lol.

JC