PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where else to post this: Rulon Gardner to be on "Biggest Loser"

Pages : [1] 2

Emevas
12/14/2010 10:14pm,
http://www.suite101.com/content/olympic-wrestler-to-compete-on-the-biggest-loser-season-11-a320756

Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner, who has survived multiple near-death experiences, will compete on Season 11 of The Biggest Loser.

Arguably one of the greatest American Greco-Roman wrestlers of all-time, Rulon Gardner has a new challenge ahead of him: he hopes to win season 11 of The Biggest Loser.

It's not the first challenge Gardner has faced. In fact, he’s shown himself to be a battle-hardened survivor against all odds in many situations, and this time, he’s hoping to apply that tough mentality to lose weight.

Wrestler Rulon Gardner Defeats Alexander Karelin at the Olympic Games
Gardner, a heavyweight in the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Games, is most commonly remembered for his gold medal performance in 2000. To win the gold, Gardner had to defeat Russian Alexander Karelin — a man who had not lost an international match in 13 years.

Perhaps even more impressive, no one had scored a single point on Karelin in more than 10 years when Gardner defeated him at the Olympic Games.

Rulon Gardner Wins Bronze at the 2004 Olympic Games
Four years later, Gardner returned to the Olympic Games in Athens and earned a bronze meal. At those Games, he left his shoes in the middle of the mat after his last match, symbolizing his retirement.

During his wrestling career, Gardner won three national championships, one world championship and the James E. Sullivan Award, given to the best amateur athlete in the United States.

Rulon Gardner's Stories of Survival: Snowmobile Accident, Motorcycle Accident
Gardner’s ability to persevere and survive has been equally impressive off the wrestling mat.

In 2002, Gardner was riding his snowmobile in Wyoming when the snowmobile plunged into the river. Unable to ride the snowmobile out, Gardner was forced to climb out of the river on foot. Once out of the river, Gardner had few options. Because the snow was four feet deep, he wasn’t able to walk very far or very quickly. He laid down under some trees and waited for someone to come rescue him.

When he was discovered 17 hours later, Gardner’s body temperature had fallen to 88 degrees Fahrenheit. He was rushed to the hospital, where he had to have toes amputated due to frostbite.

Somehow Gardner survived, but he was told he would never wrestle again.

But that didn’t stop him. In time, Gardner returned to the mat and again began training for the 2004 Olympic Games.

Also in 2004, Gardner was thrown from his motorcycle when he was struck by a car on the way to wrestling practice in Colorado Springs. He sustained no serious injuries and continued on his way to the Olympic Training Center for practice.

Rulon Gardner Plane Crash
After winning the bronze medal in 2004, Gardner again had another brush with death in 2007 when the plane he was flying in crashed into Good Hope Bay on the Utah-Arizona border.

Out with two friends in a Cirrus SR 22 airplane, the three men crashed into the 44-degree lake more than a mile from shore.

Gardner couldn’t swim, but he and the two other men managed to make it to shore where they huddled on the beach for more than 12 hours until a fisherman found them in the morning.

“I should be dead,” Gardner told me after the incident in 2007. “In fact, I should have been dead more than once. I wouldn’t call myself lucky, though. I just do the best I can when a situation arises.”

Olympic Wrestler on The Biggest Loser
After the Olympic Games, Gardner opened a health club with Justin Pope, his teammate on The Biggest Loser. When Gardner won his Olympic medal in 2004, he weight 286 pounds. At the 2004 Olympic Games, he weighed in at 265 after cutting weight from about 300 pounds, he said.

On the show, Garder’s weight loss journey begins at 474.

“The day after I won the gold medal at the Olympics I thought your life is over. You’ll never step on a scale ever again. (I’ll) live life and enjoy, take a year or two years off and enjoy” Gardner said in a Dietsinreview.com interview. “I allowed myself to really lose track of what I was doing and finally got to a point where I couldn’t look in the mirror. I couldn’t say you know what, you’re living this horrible, horrific lifestyle you need to change. The snack, all those years, the training was allowing me to be able to live those unhealthy eating habits and now they are finally catching up with me."

But Gardner is ready to make a change, and competing on The Biggest Loser is the first step in the right direction, Gardner said, even if he doesn’t win.

“I’ve already won in my life, so maybe it’s (someone else’s) turn,” Gardner said in the interview. “But there’s no way I ever quit on myself. I’ll tell you that much.”

So far, Gardner has proven that to be true.

Season 11 of The Biggest Loser on NBC begins Jan. 4.

Man, 474. What's lame is you KNOW Bob and Jillian are going to take credit for they physique they unveil under Gardner.

I'm still going to watch, and I hope he goes the distance. I was curious what happened to him after his 1 MMA fight.

atomicpoet
12/15/2010 1:48am,
Wow. He survived death three times. I mean, no wonder he gained weight. Three scrapes of death would make me anxious too.

Anyone know what he looks like too?

PointyShinyBurn
12/15/2010 5:49am,
Anyone know what he looks like too?
On the left:
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/news.hjnews.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/8/f6/5f9/8f65f934-07e4-11e0-a1c9-001cc4c03286-revisions/4d080f94c3e4a.preview-300.jpg

Syphilis
12/15/2010 6:53am,
He really should just get back into wrestling/mma.

X_plosion
12/15/2010 8:05am,
The fellow has a lot to his credit. Best wishes to him.

WhiteShark
12/15/2010 9:55am,
I wonder how low he can go? He was always a big dude.

chingythingy
12/15/2010 10:00am,
His competition weight was around 265 I think. I bet he can get down below 320 from 474.

Gidi
12/15/2010 10:40am,
It really isn't fair when you think about it.

He'll just cut some weight before every weigh-in on the show and never be voted off.
He's a former Olympic wrestler, I can't think of anyone who would know how to manage his weight at every given moment than him.

Anyway, hope he does well, might actually watch this season, the gf likes the show, I might take a look.

PizDoff
12/15/2010 11:47am,
Wow 474!
Wonder if he can sauna off some weight right before weigh ins, I'm sure he's got some experience with that

MAGIC HATE BALL
12/15/2010 12:39pm,
If he doesn't win this it's gonna be a disgrace.

superninjagod
12/15/2010 12:46pm,
If he doesn't win this it's gonna be a disgrace.

I don't really think he can win. He has too much muscle mass. This show doesn't calculate body fat %. It just looks at actual weight lost. Some of the people on the show have managed to lost over 230lbs

YouTube - Biggest Loser Winner - Danny loses 239 pounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljhpr5dkM7A&feature=related)

Permalost
12/15/2010 12:51pm,
Who wants to tell the 400+lb guy who beat Alexander Karelin that he's a loser?

MAGIC HATE BALL
12/15/2010 12:59pm,
I don't really think he can win. He has too much muscle mass. This show doesn't calculate body fat %. It just looks at actual weight lost. Some of the people on the show have managed to lost over 230lbs

YouTube - Biggest Loser Winner - Danny loses 239 pounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljhpr5dkM7A&feature=related)

Hmmm. Good point.

Also, I didn't take into account the simple greed factor. Some people will do anything for the $$$$$

superninjagod
12/15/2010 1:17pm,
Who wants to tell the 400+lb guy who beat Alexander Karelin that he's a loser?

Could you imagine Bob doing this to Rulan?

YouTube - Biggest Loser 7 - Bob's Freakout Extended (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsP7mb5R4c&feature=related)

It would be like "Rulan... Shut the F (splat and dead)"

Lindz
12/15/2010 3:36pm,
On the left:
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/news.hjnews.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/8/f6/5f9/8f65f934-07e4-11e0-a1c9-001cc4c03286-revisions/4d080f94c3e4a.preview-300.jpg

He looks (to me) pretty small for 474. Must be a ton of muscle underneath that fat. If he's still heavily muscled so many years after retiring he's gonna have a hard time losing much.

His competition weight was around 265 I think. I bet he can get down below 320 from 474.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_weight_classes#For_men.27s_freestyle_and _Greco-Roman

u r correct
under 120 kg ~ 265 lbs

Emevas
12/15/2010 3:40pm,
He looks (to me) pretty small for 474. Must be a ton of muscle underneath that fat. If he's still heavily muscled so many years after retiring he's gonna have a hard time losing much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_weight_classes#For_men.27s_freestyle_and _Greco-Roman

u r correct
under 120 kg ~ 265 lbs

Yeah, that's why it's going to be such a joke. They're going to peel away fat and reveal a physique built from decades of wrestling training and heavy resistance and try to lay claim to it.