PDA

View Full Version : So I'm qutting Krav Maga and looking for a new place.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

NoGroinNoKrav
12/14/2010 8:33pm,
I have been searching around for awhile. (there was a really nice MMA gym I went to today but its a little costly)

This thursday I have a free class at Liberty Bell Judo and Sambo academy. Here is the website http://www.libertybelljudo.com/

It's 125 a month for 3 classes a week. Which is a little more then Krav but lets face it my Krav training sucked. there is a promotion fee but I talked to the guy and he said it never changes.

Now here is another place I have been interested in
http://www.glensideshotokankarate.com/

Yes my area is full of krotty places. I may take this later on down the line. Yes there are fees for grading and stuff but it makes sense since its a non profit school that pays to a higher organization.

Though the whole sparring thing sounds sketchy. but I guess if the advanced people are any good that should be no problem.

I'm asking advice. Any red flags to look for? comments? Bashing me cause I just realized that my old school sucked?

Necroyunus
12/14/2010 9:36pm,
Finding a good karate gym is very hard and even if you find one, i still suggest you to take judo.

bombom
12/14/2010 9:42pm,
I've trained at a shotokan place that requires free sparring, starting at white belt. Any place, regardless of style, that does not have free sparring soon after a student starts training there, is a place you should not train. Don't go there.

Just don't.

WorldWarCheese
12/14/2010 9:46pm,
This thursday I have a free class at Liberty Bell Judo and Sambo academy. Here is the website http://www.libertybelljudo.com/

It's 125 a month for 3 classes a week. Which is a little more then Krav but lets face it my Krav training sucked. there is a promotion fee but I talked to the guy and he said it never changes.
WTF are you braindead? JUDOJUDOJUDOJUDOJUDOJUDO

goodlun
12/14/2010 9:47pm,
Based off the web site it looks like an awesome grappling school, please do tell us all about it when you go.

Necroyunus
12/14/2010 9:47pm,
I am also a shotokan black belt, we used to spar a lot and we used to spar with contact (not because of the instructors, it was mostly us actually)

I am not saying it is totally **** or something. But still, If I had the chance to go back in time and start again one more time, i would choose judo or if i really want to do karate i would choose kyokushin.(there was no bjj at those time lol,i mean in my country)

Flappyhead
12/14/2010 9:49pm,
Someone get this guy the MA flow chart.

BKR
12/14/2010 9:53pm,
I have been searching around for awhile. (there was a really nice MMA gym I went to today but its a little costly)

Now here is another place I have been interested in
http://www.glensideshotokankarate.com/

Yes my area is full of krotty places. I may take this later on down the line. Yes there are fees for grading and stuff but it makes sense since its a non profit school that pays to a higher organization.

Though the whole sparring thing sounds sketchy. but I guess if the advanced people are any good that should be no problem.

I'm asking advice. Any red flags to look for? comments? Bashing me cause I just realized that my old school sucked?

End of search. Go to Liberty Bell. No Bullshido there. It's a reputable judo club, plus sambo as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Ben

NoGroinNoKrav
12/14/2010 10:26pm,
oh I was not saying one or the other. I am doing liberty bell judo. I was just looking for another striking art for the future. Also I am into Japanese culture a bit so I would like to find a good karate school.

But aliveness and usefulness is top priority. I'll post how my class goes thursday

Emevas
12/14/2010 10:32pm,
Is there any boxing around you?

crappler
12/14/2010 10:37pm,
that Judo school looks awesome. **** krotty.

NoGroinNoKrav
12/14/2010 10:40pm,
that Judo school looks awesome. **** krotty.

I talked with the guy and he knew what he was talking about. pretty thick Russian accent though but I guess that might be a sign his sambo training is really legit lol.

It's only a few miles away and its an easy drive. Finally a non contract grappling school easy on my wallet. I'm already excited. Thanks for the good word guys.

Also about boxing sadly I live just far away enough from philly (freaking boxing city) that it would be quite a trip to get there. But i'll keep searching. Right now I only have the money for one art so i'll start with judo

Lindz
12/14/2010 10:55pm,
if u dont do sambo you're gonna find some polonium in your tea comrade

Flappyhead
12/14/2010 11:11pm,
if u dont do sambo you're gonna find some polonium in your tea comrade

He should ask them about systema.

jspeedy
12/14/2010 11:11pm,
What made you finally wake up and realize krav sucks? Just curious. After a recent visit to another ma site i read that krav manga (yes everyone there was repeatedly misspelling it) was the best self defense art.

Ciderbone
12/14/2010 11:43pm,
I would definitely go check out the Judos and Sombas if I lived in that town. It looks like a good school from a quick look at Youtube. However you do need to make sure you like the people and atmosphere.