PDA

View Full Version : First Judo Class

jeane
12/08/2010 11:56pm,
The Kyuki-do dojang where I go with my two daughters also offers a once weekly Judo class. So this evening I actually made it completely through the regular Kyuki-do class and did the Judo class after.

We all really enjoyed it. And it was actually nice in that I recognized the moves from way back in the MMA classes I took so long ago. The instructor this evening told me I obviously already knew it and asked when did I take Judo. I've never really talked to the instructor about what I did before because it was so long ago. That and they all seem to hold MMA in low regards.

I find that attitude kind of odd, since to me it's all just shades of the same thing. Do others get that kind of reaction from people?

CrackFox
12/09/2010 3:49am,
They only do one class a week? That's quite odd, as you'll never learn anything going once a week.

Anyway, as to the MMA thing. You'll find a range of opinions. A lot of people really like it, most people would probably be of the opinion that it's OK, but they're just more into judo, and a small but vocal minority think it's an abomination.

herbo1
12/09/2010 5:02am,
a small but vocal minority think it's an abomination.

Even within this small group of people, most seemed to be indifferent to MMA until you start to talk about judoka who have switched, or the teaching of judo snipets to MMA fighters. They also get annoyed when you bring up Kimura and Maeda's challenge matches as evidence of Judo's rich history of challenge matches.

Thankfully this attitude is not universal and a local rokudan has his own MMA team and Judo club.

judoka_uk
12/09/2010 5:56pm,
The Kyuki-do dojang where I go with my two daughters also offers a once weekly Judo class. So this evening I actually made it completely through the regular Kyuki-do class and did the Judo class after.

We all really enjoyed it. And it was actually nice in that I recognized the moves from way back in the MMA classes I took so long ago. The instructor this evening told me I obviously already knew it and asked when did I take Judo. I've never really talked to the instructor about what I did before because it was so long ago. That and they all seem to hold MMA in low regards.

I find that attitude kind of odd, since to me it's all just shades of the same thing. Do others get that kind of reaction from people?
If you want to start cross training in Judo you really need a minimum of twice a week though of course that may be diffcult to fit around your life commitments and work etc...

Is the lesson run by a Judo instructor or a Kyuki-do instructor?

Opinions in Judo on MMA vary. There is no general trend of Judoka disliking MMA, Judoka competing in MMA or whatever. However it is logically consistent that if you take the Judo philosophy of jita kyoei seriously that you would be opposed on philosophical grounds to MMA and Judoka competing in MMA. However, the number of Judoka who take jita kyoei that seriously are small.

jeane
12/14/2010 12:00am,
The Judo class is taught specifically by a Judo instructor.
It is at the Kyuki-do dojang though. There is also supposed to be a Hapkido class once a week, but I don't know anything at all about that.

It's going to take me awhile to get past the issues I have about falling though. But I'll make myself get over it.

diducdat?
12/15/2010 9:01pm,
My first Judo instructor was a Kyuki-do guy. He has since told the Koreans to buzz off,stopped TKD altogether, and only really does judo now.

As for the falling part; Think about when you practice stop-breaks, or side falls, and how you're supposed to check your form. If you fall like that from most throws, you'll see you can take it all day long.

Necroyunus
12/16/2010 5:02am,
Glad you liked Judo.

But one time a week?

Also, ok you did MMA, but I find it a little unlikely for a Judo instructor to say "you already did this" to a pre-mma practitioner. Are they really that related?

I mean, I took a class for Judo recently (a new instructor came to our gym just when i was about to leave for another city...damn -.- ) and even though i did bjj the instructor still made me do break falls for half of the class.
And when we were going for some stand up sparring, even though that we practised throws in our bjj classes, i felt like i just started grappling yesterday against all those judokas, including the instructor (i didnt go for body takedowns or legs or something of course, i was just trying to do the gi lapel throws but it felt awfully hard, i couldnt really "throw" anybody)

Any information about the teacher?

Panda General
1/02/2011 6:38pm,
I've been a Kyuki-do member for 3 years under a 5th degree head instructor, and I've recently started taking Judo classes elsewhere. The Judo and Hapki-do classes taught at a Kyuki-do school are instructed by people that usually have ranks in the art, but through Kyuki-do. For example, i have a big sheet of paper that says i'm a yellow belt in Judo but it's from the American Kyuki-do Federation.

After 2 Judo classes from an instructor that has a 6th degree in Judo from the USJA, I went back to Kyuki-do and pinned my old instructor 3 times in a row. ( I had never beaten him in the probably hundreds of randori matches we have done, there are just so many holes in the instruction there)

I'm not slamming Kyuki-do, because i believe it is a martial art with good intentions and I love it, but it focuses more on TKD than Judo and Hapki-do although it says it teaches all 3. If you're looking to dabble in other arts, i would suggest going to a different dojo for it, because most Judo instructors in Kyuki-do are inexperienced in Judo. (there are a few exceptions, the Judo instructor in Janesville is a 3rd degree from the USJA)

We also only get to practice it one out of every four months where i attend, which is apparently becoming the new standard.

jeane
1/03/2011 12:37am,
Thanks for the insights, folks. I've been sick with first the flu and now bronchitis, so I haven't been doing much of anything useful for the last three weeks. Because I was sick one of my girls missed a belt test, too.

I am hoping to get us back to the dojang tomorrow night.