PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and whatnot.

Paul S.
12/02/2010 11:32pm,
My name's Paul, and I've visited the page and the forms before, thanks to links from other skeptical webpages. I do try to be a skeptic and a rationalist and I make it a point to make sure that I'm able to tell the difference between reality and fiction (while still being able to enjoy the latter).

I've haven't had any sort of martial arts experience since high school, when I was in an evening fencing club (foil, but I did enjoy saber). Since I need to get back into shape for both health reasons and really, just to feel better about myself, I've been thinking about looking into schools and clubs in and around Columbus, Ohio. Naturally, after reading the guides here, I've picked up on the warning signs. Still, I would like to find a school or club where the instructors aren't frauds, delusional, or just plain batshit crazy.

There are some styles that I would love to try out, but I gotta be realistic.

So, I just want to introduce myself and to make it clear that I know full well that chi powers don't exist, there hasn't been any ninjas around since the Meiji era, katanas aren't superweapons, and a lot of styles just aren't useful.

SaintHamish
12/02/2010 11:36pm,
welcome to bullshido paul. i have a feeling you will fit in quite well around these parts.

what style are you interested in?

being in ohio i assume you may have done some wrestling as well as fencing ??

Paul S.
12/03/2010 12:04am,
Actually, when my older sister was working with her high school's wrestling team, she tried to get me into it and taught me some basics.

I've long been interested in kendo, I have to confess. Just being able to learn some fundamentals would be something I'd like to do someday. Outside of that, I am genuinely curious about Savate. I guess it's the fact that it has a sports background and that it doesn't have a lot of the bullshit that sadly surrounds the eastern forms. That, and the fact that a lot of people don't really know about it in the United States.

But to be more realistic to what's available to me, I would like to do something along the lines of any of the sports kickboxing styles. Not to say that I wouldn't look into any of the eastern styles, provided that everything checks out.

W. Rabbit
12/03/2010 12:23am,
So, I just want to introduce myself and to make it clear that I know full well that chi powers don't exist, there hasn't been any ninjas around since the Meiji era, katanas aren't superweapons, and a lot of styles just aren't useful.

Katanas are still pretty super.

Welcome.

NeilG
12/04/2010 4:28pm,
I've long been interested in kendo, I have to confess.OSU has a kendo club, not sure if it is restricted to students. Contact information is here (http://www.miamivalleykendo.org/schedule.html), scroll down to find it.

greatheight
12/04/2010 4:40pm,
Katanas are still pretty super.

Welcome.

They're ok... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc&feature=related)

Welcome to Bullshido Paul. What is it about Kendo that is grabbing your interest?

Paul S.
12/06/2010 6:45pm,
They're ok... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc&feature=related)

Welcome to Bullshido Paul. What is it about Kendo that is grabbing your interest?

Well, I've been fascinated by Japanese swordsmanship ever since I was a kid. Even after learning the various facts, dispelling the myths, and putting up with the overexposed crap, there's still that interest. Hell, might as well give it a try.

Not to say I wouldn't give up on saber. I can still remember the striking and blocking techniques even though it's been years since I've put on a mask.

...I really ought to look for a good deal on a saber for practice.

Ah, thanks for the link Neil.

Permalost
12/06/2010 7:28pm,
I really ought to look for a good deal on a saber for practice.
I've gotten good deals on fencing stuff on eBay, so there's that. The last thing I got was 2 fencing masks for under $50 (not really good ones, but still).