PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Rich?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Justme
3/04/2004 2:12pm,

PeedeeShaolin
3/04/2004 2:18pm,
If ou read that those tax cuts targeted small business then you read a bullshiit story. Those tax cuts benefited the wealthiest in America and are NOT creating jobs. The only jobs being created are extremely low wage jobs like Wal Marts and fast food joints.

Whats more, if you're making 6 figures than at least come clean and admit that you want for NOTHING in life. If you say anything different you're lying. I DONT make 6 figures and I sure as hell want for nothing. I mean, I'd like anew car every year but its just not necessary. Where I live there are people STARVINg man. I mean people that work 2 jobs and still cant make ends meet. These people work hard too.

This **** isnt about rebublicans and Democrats. Bush is an azzhole either way. Even the republicans are shitting their pants over the way he spends and fukks things up.

The republicans dont cater to the rich. Their policies just tend to fukk the poor a little more than the dems. Neither party truely gives a rats ass about you.

Read what happened after Bush left office in Texas. All his tax cuts for the rich had to be REPEALED by a CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN governor because Bush's polcies were going to RUIN the state.

Phrost
3/04/2004 2:22pm,
Flat income tax: everyone pays an equal share of their income.

It's the only fair way.

KC Elbows
3/04/2004 2:45pm,
6 figs isn't middle class, but it also isn't evil.

In my mind, the rich I talk about, especially in regards to what should be tax evasion, are those who pay virtually nothing personally because they somehow tie their entire frikkin life to so-called business activity(topical example- birthday parties). And of course, these are the same rich who seem to believe that higher taxes on them are "punishing success", and not "supporting your damned country". I've known several people of this variety, and without exception, they considered themselves and their ilk something akin to royalty, which is about the most unamerican thing ever, as are they.

The mongols took china because, for one thing, the wealthy made every exception possible to exempt themselves from responsibility to their own country. I see a lot of corporations making a mint off the "war on terrorism", but very few ponying up for the common good, or even just breaking even for those specific endeavors.

A family friend makes a certain amount of money off of a majority of the foam made in the US. He's filthy stinking rich. But he supports his country, he pays his taxes, and he worries that he is not the norm, and what that means for our country.

As for politicians, it is my opinion that the present system is just shy of rigged elections because of campaign financing on all sides. So arguing which president supports the rich is a bit of a moot question, they all do, that's how they win election, by supporting people who represent voting blocks. The question is, who supports the people? There's a shortage of public servants in public service, imo.

PeedeeShaolin
3/04/2004 2:55pm,
Flat income tax: everyone pays an equal share of their income.

It's the only fair way.

BINGO! The voice of REASON!

PeedeeShaolin
3/04/2004 2:57pm,
The playng field, right now, is heavily slanted towards people with alot of money. Look at Wal Mart. they're doing NOTHING special or different yet they're putting alot of hard working business' out of the game simply because they have huge amount of money.

KC Elbows
3/04/2004 3:05pm,
Originally posted by Justme
KC thanks for making me rich!!! I should get a chauver....with a little hat....

I wouldn't say rich, either, though you could be if you've made that amount for several years running and don't have extreme special needs children or other, similar drains. But I don't think that's a fair description of middle class, either. I think middle 5 figs is pretty much middle class.

However, you still deserve a driver.

KC Elbows
3/04/2004 3:12pm,
Originally posted by Justme
My kids have a driver, and sometimes I wear a little hat....:D

If you'd worn the "little hat" before the kids, you wouldn't have that problem.:D

Justme
3/04/2004 3:18pm,
:rolleyes:

Balloonknot
3/04/2004 3:30pm,
By the way, Walmart is a VERY EVIL organization. They employ as many people as possible for part-time work (and this... after they chase out all the lil mom and pops) and pay NO benefits.

Who's kidding who here?

fragbot
3/04/2004 3:31pm,
Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
The playng field, right now, is heavily slanted towards people with alot of money. Look at Wal Mart. they're doing NOTHING special or different yet they're putting alot of hard working business' out of the game simply because they have huge amount of money.

Mind-numbingly wrong. Do you ever think about the stuff you write or do you just rant?

Love them or hate them, Wal-Mart is a demonstrably innovative company.

1) they were one of the first companies with a culture based on fanatical frugality (anyone else remember Sam Walton and his ancient pickup?). They've parlayed this into an insane focus on forcing their suppliers to add value by cutting prices.

2) they were one of the first companies to integrate information technology into the enterprise. Specifically, they were/are far ahead of the game in distribution (based on operations research in optimizations; eg dynamic programming).

3) they began by focusing on historically under-served markets*--small to mid-sized cities (populations in the 10-50 thousand range)--that were ignored by the Targets and KMarts of the world. . .and, for that matter, mostly ignored by the much ado about nothing "mom's and pop's" that served them.

4) Finally, they have the best "UnionBGone" in the industry. Any other place would've long been moved to the land of $24/hour+bennies checkers.

*in this way, they're similar to Microsoft and Intel--start at the low end of the market (undoubtedly, some smarta** will point out the "low end" are embedded chips; not a helpful observation) and move up from there.

CaptShady
3/04/2004 3:31pm,
Originally posted by Balloonknot
By the way, Walmart is a VERY EVIL organization. They employ as many people as possible for part-time work (and this... after they chase out all the lil mom and pops) and pay NO benefits.

Who's kidding who here?

That's just the tip of the iceberg for Walmart.

Vargas
3/04/2004 3:32pm,
What always cracks me up is how the ultra-rich get ultra-guilty and try to make up for it by slamming, you guessed it, the people who supposedly cater to the wealthy and well-connected:

Ted Turner
George Soros
Bill Gates
Oprah Winfrey
the entire Rockefeller clan

the list goes on and on. As far as I can tell, none of them (with the blatant exception of American royalty like the Rockefellers, Forbes, Kennedys, etc...) were born rich, so what the hell should they feel guilty about? Even the inherited rich give heavily to charity and other 'good' causes. Yes, John D. Rockefeller was probably a son of a bitch, but he's also created more philanthropy than any other man in history. ****, the University of Chicago was created from scratch by ol' John D., so I have a hard time seeing him or other wealthy industrialists as the cancerous leeches on society that they're portrayed as.

So I'm already preparing myself for the hysterical 'soak the rich' blathering that should be erupting between now and November. Of course, if you're going to soak the rich, especially the born rich, you might as well start with John Kerry and the Heinz heiress he married. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for THAT to happen. . .

KhorneliusPraxx
3/04/2004 3:33pm,
I am rich!
By american standards, no. I only make a crumb over $30,000 a year. My wife only works when the kids are in school. That leaves very few sources of extra income. She waits tables at lunch and only when the kids are in school so that adds, maybe, and extra $10.000 per year. Also, we have 3 kids. By americans standards we are almost poverty stricken but I don't think so. I am grateful to live in the greatest country in the history of the world. I am not jealous of what other americans have, I am happy I have what I do. Remember, people, there are people in other countries that have NOTHING.

"I was upset that I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet."

The problem here is debt. People spend other peoples money to buy STUFF for themselves and then act like its everyone else fault they can't pay it back.

"If you can't pay for it, you can't afford it!"

fragbot
3/04/2004 3:34pm,

Who's kidding who here?

Answering your final question, the answer's crystal clear.

Justa hunch, but I'll bet you'd label Santa's workshop a "VERY EVIL organization."

Have you ever been accused of being a reasonable person?

Vargas
3/04/2004 3:42pm,
By the way, Walmart is a VERY EVIL organization.

More evil than what? Nike? Starbucks? Morton Thiokal? Dyn-Corp? United Fruit? Standard Oil? Exxon? Microsoft? Philip Morris? Colt Firearms? Lockheed Martin?

And that's just corporate. If you talking organizations, is Wal-Mart more evil than the Aryan Brotherhood? KKK? Sendero Luminoso? Al Quaida? Hezbollah? FARC? Young Republicans? SPECTRE? the Mutant Brotherhood? Cult of Cthullu?

In other words, on what possible scale would Wal-Mart occupy the slot marked 'VERY EVIL'? I'm actually kind of curious, in addition to being extremely amused. . .