PDA

View Full Version : Grappling Training - in BJJ school or MMA school?

Pages : [1] 2 3

rdcc
11/18/2010 9:29am,
Hey guys, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this.

Do you currently train at a pure BJJ school or MMA school for Grappling and why?

jnp
11/18/2010 9:47am,
A two sentence opening post does not meet the minimum requirements for the more serious fora. If you want to start a thread in these areas, you will need to put some more effort into your OP.

Tom .C
11/18/2010 9:47am,
I get back to you as soon as I get done talking to everyone. I'm starting in Texas so it's going to take a while.

musicalmike235
11/18/2010 11:12am,
Even though it appears that the OP is not off to a good start, I will try and give a serious answer. That answer is in the form of a question. Is your goal to learn MMA with an emphasis on ground fighting as your overall approach to the fight, or do you want to learn grappling? If the former, you should go to an MMA school, otherwise go to a grappling school. This is just my advise. I am sure there are plenty of MMA schools that provide top notch grappling instruction.

rdcc
11/18/2010 11:46am,
Even though it appears that the OP is not off to a good start, I will try and give a serious answer. That answer is in the form of a question. Is your goal to learn MMA with an emphasis on ground fighting as your overall approach to the fight, or do you want to learn grappling? If the former, you should go to an MMA school, otherwise go to a grappling school. This is just my advise. I am sure there are plenty of MMA schools that provide top notch grappling instruction.

I already train. My question was to others who either already train or are looking to train, whether or not they were thinking of joining a pure BJJ school or an MMA school for Grappling. I am just curious as to what other people have considered in choosing their school.

wetware
11/18/2010 11:58am,
I would be extremely wary of "MMA Schools" in general. There's no qualification or certification for teaching MMA, anyone can slap that label on the door. I take it grappling is missing from your game at the moment? What's your intent with this? Do you want to fight at an amateur or professional level? As a knee-jerk reaction, I'd say do the pure BJJ unless the MMA school guy has some real killer credentials.

rdcc
11/18/2010 12:00pm,
I would be extremely wary of "MMA Schools" in general. There's no qualification or certification for teaching MMA, anyone can slap that label on the door. I take it grappling is missing from your game at the moment? What's your intent with this? Do you want to fight at an amateur or professional level? As a knee-jerk reaction, I'd say do the pure BJJ unless the MMA school guy has some real killer credentials.

I already train. I am at Red Dawn Combat Club in Queens NY. Here is a promo clip of the school one of the students made for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS4PadEJlRg

I also believe if you want to learn grappling go to a BJJ school not an MMA one per se. I wanted to see other people's opinions.

MMAMickey
11/18/2010 12:22pm,
I personally learn individual aspects of fighting separately and use an MMA school to bring it all together and fill holes.

That being said, you're more likely to get good grappling instruction at an MMA school than good striking instruction.

donoraen
11/18/2010 2:21pm,
As a rule, for the absolute best grappling, I would go to a grappling only gym.

M1K3
11/18/2010 2:54pm,
I train at an MMA school run by a BJJ black belt. Great training. Students at our school compete in MMA, MT and grappling tournaments with good results. If you want more info just check out my sig.

BTW, I am a 56 y.o. hobbyist with no intention of competing unless they open a 55 and over age group. :toothy5:

WhiteShark
11/18/2010 3:10pm,
I train at an MMA school run by a BJJ Black Belt. I don't think my grappling training is lacking.

pauli
11/18/2010 3:20pm,
train wherever the best teacher is, and stop worrying about details.

devilboy7778
11/18/2010 4:48pm,
I feel that if you really want good MMA training, you have to pay out big bucks. I would rather train BJJ at a BJJ school then at an MMA school, just because MMA schools mostly focus on grappling anyways.

goodlun
11/18/2010 4:53pm,
I train at an MMA school run by a BJJ Black Belt. How ever I only train in BJJ while I am their.

lolhate
11/18/2010 11:19pm,
My MMA school has different sets of sessions, mostly BJJ and Muay Thai. Each are run by experts in their own fields. And then there are MMA sessions to bring it all together. The BJJ session is run by several instructors, nearly all of whom have black belts. Personally, I don't think my training is lacking, largely because of the fact that my school divides the striking and grappling, and if you want, has sessions that brings it all together.

CoffeeFan
11/18/2010 11:31pm,
I also believe if you want to learn grappling go to a BJJ school not an MMA one per se. I wanted to see other people's opinions.

Or a SAMBO, Judo, wrestling, or any other sport oriented grappling martial arts.