PDA

View Full Version : Introduction: Noob from Chicago

The Decoy
11/17/2010 11:28pm,
Hey Bullshido,

I've been a stalker for a little while now, and I finally decided to grab an account. I'm a noob out of Chicago, who's looking to get into Judo.

I have a few questions...

1. Someone posted that most dojos practice ne-waza only about 20% of time, with 80% of the effort on throws. Do most of you find this to be the case, or does it vary?

2. How do you feel Judo ground fighting compares with say wrestling or BJJ?

3. Will Judo teach my kids not to steal?

Thanks in advance.

jnp
11/17/2010 11:48pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

1. Never mind the statistics. Half of them are made up 80% of the time anyway. Go check out the Judo dojos local to you and ask them.

2. Judo is a more complete martial art and is more applicable to self defense due to the fact that a good throw can be a fight ender. There are throws that leave the Judoka standing. Thus the triumphant Judo man avoids all the lava needles laying around on the ground.

3. Smart aleck.

hungryjoe
11/17/2010 11:55pm,
Our club practices closer to 50 - 50. Some of the people cross train in BJJ and there are a lot of us with wrestling backgrounds.

jnp has given you the good scoop. Most places give the first week or two for free.

Welcome to the site.

Gidi
11/18/2010 12:53am,
1. Many clubs do different ground-standing ratio. You won't know until you try it.

2. I have never done BJJ or wrestling so can't comment on this

3. Judo might teach your kids not to stall (on the ground)

11/23/2010 12:19pm,
having done both, I have somewhat of a viewpoint I guess. By the way I'm also in the chicagoland (suburbs) area.

1. Depends on the club, mine was about what you mentioned
2. I feel that the two differentiate based on the rules obviously that govern the competitions. Judo makes it so the competitors have to constantly improve their position and seek out a pin/submission right away basically or they stand you up. BJJ, I feel, gives you the ability to learn a more in-depth study of the grappling game and develop various techniques to manipulate your opponenet to improve your position. Kind of like a chess game on the ground.
3. ?