PDA

View Full Version : Taipei TKD Competitor Disqualified From Asian Games after 9-0 Lead

Pages : [1] 2

monkeypoo8762
11/17/2010 8:00pm,
Yang Shu-Chun, who won a bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 was DQ'ed after judges claim to have found extra sensors in the heels of her LaJust socks.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/11/17/asian.games.china.taiwan/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11775465

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HOmWs8HDkI

I'm not taking sides here, but it seems unfair of the WTF officials to give an immediate dq after just the first round when she is clearly leading 9-0 based mostly on head kicks. There were still two more rounds left, and I think any points that Yang was given electronically and not from the center referee should have been voided and maybe a point or two deduction.

This speaks directly towards some of the bias and corruption in WTF sport TKD that these electronic hogu were supposed to be eliminating. There is no way things like this can keep happening if people expect TKD to remain in the Olympics.

It also points out some major flaws in the LaJust system and makes me wonder more about complaints I have heard from local tkd competitors who used the LaJust system at the US Open for the past two years.

Anyone have experience using any of the EBP systems (LaJust, Daedo, Adidas)? I have heard nothing but praise for Adidas, but LaJust and Daedo both seem to still have issues.

DerAuslander
11/18/2010 1:25pm,
I don't need sensors to tell me when I step on your face.

WhiteShark
11/18/2010 2:34pm,
This is what happens when you turn fighting into kiddie tag.

Permalost
11/18/2010 2:39pm,
How does that even give a fighter an advantage? They still have to kick and not get kicked, no?

Phrost
11/18/2010 4:55pm,
Having judges decide the winner of a fight means it's not actually a fight.

DerAuslander
11/18/2010 5:16pm,
Having judges decide the winner of a fight means it's not actually a fight.

Don't you judge fights?:qright4:

monkeypoo8762
11/19/2010 1:01pm,
How does that even give a fighter an advantage? They still have to kick and not get kicked, no?

Correct, but because of the way the electronic body protector system (EBP) they were using worked, adding extra sensors would make it easier for the system to register points for the attacker. I know there are EBP systems that do not rely as heavily on the "sensor socks" to register points scored, but the WTF has jumped behind the LaJust system with too much enthusiasm IMO.

After doing a little more digging, it appears that the Taiwanese competitor had to wear an earlier iteration of the sensor socks because her size was unavailable at the event (insert chinese feet binding joke here). The ones she was wearing had the sensors attached by velcro so they could be moved. These were Korean-made and initially approved by the WTF until a new version was made with permanent sensors.

Other people have said that they can see the referee ordering Yang to remove the extra sensor around the 0:21 mark and it is only until she is well in the lead that a Chinese official begins to complain about her equipment and then a Korean WTF official makes his "ruling" by dq'ing yang.

Also, the winner of this match would have eventually faced the Chinese competitor who ended up winning the entire division against Japan yesterday.

As far as the "kiddie tag" comments go. I like playing this game (yes I called it a game) of kiddie tag where I get to kick people in the head as hard as I can without really worrying about scrambling mine or my opponents brains. It is fun for me and I'm getting in great shape doing it. I don't have any aspirations of being a national or international level competitor, but it is just like being a basketball or baseball player, you are truly interested in the pros and their going-ons.

/puts on flameproof doboke:angryfire

DerAuslander
11/19/2010 1:18pm,
As far as the "kiddie tag" comments go. I like playing this game (yes I called it a game) of kiddie tag where I get to kick people in the head as hard as I can without really worrying about scrambling mine or my opponents brains.

If you can kick people in the head as hard as you can, you need to worry about brain scramble.

The retrograde concussion that prevents me from ever competing again I received in a WTF event.

It is fun for me and I'm getting in great shape doing it. I don't have any aspirations of being a national or international level competitor, but it is just like being a basketball or baseball player, you are truly interested in the pros and their going-ons.

I competed for years, and I still love the sport.

It's because I love the sport that I think sensors are a horrible move.

Miguksaram
11/19/2010 4:25pm,
There was discussion on the LaJust system on another board and how it can be cheated. These electronic score keeping are a waste. Use the old manual method. If players are scared of being cheated then they need to knock their opponents out so there is no doubt or make it obvious that points were scored like the TPE player did in that video.

DerAuslander
11/19/2010 4:29pm,
Apparently I have a crush on you.

Miguksaram
11/19/2010 4:32pm,
Apparently I have a crush on you.Nahh...you've just missed me is all. :)

DerAuslander
11/19/2010 4:34pm,
I miss Michele Krasnoo.

Miguksaram
11/19/2010 4:36pm,
I miss Michele Krasnoo.
Wait, the now Michele or the early 90's Michele?

DerAuslander
11/19/2010 4:39pm,
I haven't seen a pic of her in like 10 years, when she was doing BJJ.

monkeypoo8762
11/19/2010 8:47pm,
There was discussion on the LaJust system on another board and how it can be cheated. These electronic score keeping are a waste. Use the old manual method. If players are scared of being cheated then they need to knock their opponents out so there is no doubt or make it obvious that points were scored like the TPE player did in that video.

I like the idea that the EBP will eliminate bias or shoddy judging, but you are absolutely right that they are worthless. They just added another layer of bureaucratic crap for tkd players to wade through in an attempt to succeed at something they love.

WTF could do much better with unbiased , professionally trained judging (first thing that comes to mind, how does boxing do it?) and expanded use of video replay and coaches challenges. It would also go far if all of the corrupt sob's in the national governing bodies would go ahead and die, but I don't see that happening soon.

DerAus, I think the sensors could be a beneficial aspect to the sport, like at local and regional tournaments when it is difficult to find well trained and unbiased ring judges (saw a lot of biased judging and scoring at a local tournament a few weekends ago), but for the international stage, and especially the olympics where the sport will be televised across the world, we need competent officials who have no bias and know wtf they're doing.

Sorry for the rambling, I took a hard back hook to the head recently . . . . .
.:psyduck:
Hi, I'm Cris. What's your name?

It is Fake
11/19/2010 8:51pm,
WTF could do much better with unbiased , professionally trained judging (first thing that comes to mind, how does boxing do it?)
They don't.