PDA

View Full Version : A new level of Douchebaggery

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Soldiermedic
11/15/2010 9:22pm,
Driver Convicted in Teen's Death Sues Victim's Parents

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/david-weaving-convicted-in-teen-bicyclists-death-sues-victim-matthew-kenneys-parents/19716953?icid=main%7Ccompaq-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C184381

(Nov. 15) -- A driver convicted of manslaughter for killing a 14-year-old Connecticut (http://www.aolnews.com/tag/connecticut/) boy is suing the victim's parents for negligence, claiming they let their son ride his bike on a busy road without a helmet.

The Associated Press reports (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gLk4dFEMQUjI2-XKYd4IzMQ3lV1A?docId=f256dd857e7d460fb3437a211b93e 305) that David Weaving, who is serving a 10-year sentence for slamming his car into Matthew Kenney, is suing Kenney's parents for $15,000 for causing him "great mental and emotional pain and suffering" and inhibiting his "capacity to carry on in life's activities."

The unusual claim is a countersuit. Last year, Matthew's parents, Stephen and Joanne Kenney, sued 48-year-old Weaving for $15,000 for negligence in their son's death.

http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/9/694636/1289840827272.JPEG Courtesy Joanne Kenney / AP
Matthew Kenney, shown here in an undated photo, was killed in April 2007 when he was hit by a car.

Joanne Kenney, 42, said Weaving's suit was "unbelievable," according to the AP. "It drags the pain on," she said. "It's a constant reminder. Enough is enough. Can you just leave us alone and serve your time?"

According to police and prosecutors, her son Matthew was riding his bike in Prospect, Conn., on April 27, 2007, when Weaving struck him while driving 83 mph, killing the boy. The speed limit on the road was 45 mph.

Weaving, who was convicted of manslaughter in Kenney's death in December 2008, has chosen to represent himself in the civil suit but could not be reached for comment today. He has been arrested five times for drunken driving in the past two decades, but was not convicted of drunken driving in the accident that caused Kenney's death.

Lawyers for the Kenneys did not immediately return calls for comment today.

SaintHamish
11/15/2010 9:38pm,
same as smokers suing tobacco companies for giving them cancer.

fucken douchebag.

battlefields
11/15/2010 9:55pm,
Wait, the guy is going almost twice the speed limit and he thinks a bicycle helmet would have helped? Even at the speed limit of 45mph (thats like 73kph) the kid had little to no chance with or without a helmet, but 80+miles an hour? That is pulverising speed.

**** this douche, I hope his sentence is long and hard and when he gets out he gets hit by a car doing 83mph (that is more than 130kmh, fucking hectic, over here our highway speed limit is 110kph) while wearing a helmet. Hopefully the helmet somehow miraculously saves his life, because at that speed chronic pain and being a vegetable are the only possible outcomes for the rest of his miserable life.

It is Fake
11/15/2010 9:56pm,
same as smokers suing tobacco companies for giving them cancer. Anyone born in the 80's an up I agree not before. So, no not in the same realm.

battlefields
11/15/2010 10:17pm,
I agree with the not being able to sue if you were born after the eighties due to education, but I reserve the right to have anger towards big tobacco for their marketing tactics. Early 80's kids were subjected to brand indoctrination, marketing ploys were directed at children until the late eighties (over here at least) and cigarettes still saturated all media during early 80's childrens development. Hell, I can remember when a pack cost around a dollar. Every store (selling cigarettes) had cigarette advertising that covered the front of the counter from the floor, perfect kid height. The practise was outlawed when it was figured out that the tobacco companies were targeting children even after they had expressed outwardly they were against the practise, and that was early to mid nineties.

I can still remember the tropical paradise island that covered the counter of my local corner store and the brand it advertised, later to become my brand. I bought my first cigarette pack without health warnings on the pack for around the cost of a bottle of Coke. Granted, I knew because of health education the risks, but I still question whether the damage had already been done, which is likely due to the apparent and substantial decrease in those 5-10 years younger than me smoking. If I was born even just 5 years later I would not have been bombarded with advertising and the apparent normality of smoking.

Either way, intellectually I know smoking is for the birds and I could not bring myself to sue because I am responsible for my actions. I suppose this is a problem we have we a litigious society, no one thinks they are to blame. How profound. I'll shut up now.

SaintHamish
11/16/2010 12:19am,
Anyone born in the 80's an up I agree not before. So, no not in the same realm.

and its only from the 90's and up that anyone would concieve filing a law suit against a third party due to an incident that resulted from their own stupidity or their own gross negligence.

case in point being a prime example.

SaintHamish
11/16/2010 12:21am,
Anyone born in the 80's an up I agree not before. So, no not in the same realm.

comma should be after the no.

just a side note.

Grey Owl
11/16/2010 8:10am,
and its only from the 90's and up that anyone would concieve filing a law suit against a third party due to an incident that resulted from their own stupidity or their own gross negligence.

case in point being a prime example.

Years don't need apostrophies unless they are possessive or omissive. Just a side note.

It is Fake
11/16/2010 8:45am,

That may be the case in Australia. In America it started earlier, but the frivolous lawsuits wildly increased between the eighties and into the new century. The nineties introduced us to 24 hour news and that's when everyone started to notice and copy the stupidity.

Eddie Hardon
11/16/2010 8:58am,
Driver Convicted in Teen's Death Sues Victim's Parents

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/david-weaving-convicted-in-teen-bicyclists-death-sues-victim-matthew-kenneys-parents/19716953?icid=main%7Ccompaq-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C184381

(Nov. 15) -- A driver convicted of manslaughter for killing a 14-year-old Connecticut (http://www.aolnews.com/tag/connecticut/) boy is suing the victim's parents for negligence, claiming they let their son ride his bike on a busy road without a helmet.

The Associated Press reports (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gLk4dFEMQUjI2-XKYd4IzMQ3lV1A?docId=f256dd857e7d460fb3437a211b93e 305) that David Weaving, who is serving a 10-year sentence for slamming his car into Matthew Kenney, is suing Kenney's parents for $15,000 for causing him "great mental and emotional pain and suffering" and inhibiting his "capacity to carry on in life's activities."

The unusual claim is a countersuit. Last year, Matthew's parents, Stephen and Joanne Kenney, sued 48-year-old Weaving for $15,000 for negligence in their son's death.

http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/9/694636/1289840827272.JPEG Courtesy Joanne Kenney / AP
Matthew Kenney, shown here in an undated photo, was killed in April 2007 when he was hit by a car.

Joanne Kenney, 42, said Weaving's suit was "unbelievable," according to the AP. "It drags the pain on," she said. "It's a constant reminder. Enough is enough. Can you just leave us alone and serve your time?"

According to police and prosecutors, her son Matthew was riding his bike in Prospect, Conn., on April 27, 2007, when Weaving struck him while driving 83 mph, killing the boy. The speed limit on the road was 45 mph.

Weaving, who was convicted of manslaughter in Kenney's death in December 2008, has chosen to represent himself in the civil suit but could not be reached for comment today. He has been arrested five times for drunken driving in the past two decades, but was not convicted of drunken driving in the accident that caused Kenney's death.

Lawyers for the Kenneys did not immediately return calls for comment today.

Scandalous and Shameful.

"First, kill all the lawyers" - Henry IV - Shakespeare. I stand to be corrected.

In UK, we now have multiple Ads on TV/Cable in which the Compensation Culture is being led by TV Celeb endorsement of Ambulance chasing Solicitors. Personal responsibility and a "Oh Well" approach seems a thing of the past.

Back to the Driver. Hang your Head in Shame.

ShaolinKungPao
11/16/2010 9:44am,
...Weaving struck him while driving 83 mph, killing the boy. The speed limit on the road was 45 mph.

...He has been arrested five times for drunken driving in the past two decades...

It's people like this that make me believe we have the concept of capital punishment all wrong. When a dog kills someone, you put it down. you don't do this to "punish" the dog, you do it so it won't attack anyone else. Simple.

This sack of sh!t is a useless dog that obviously can't be retrained NOT to kill productive members of society. Put the sorry bastard down and be done with it.

Robstafarian
11/16/2010 10:15am,
The driver is not the issue here, to my way of thinking. The guy (apparently) did it, faced trial, and was convicted. Justice has been served.

I have a problem with the boy's parents, most notably that quote from the mother.
Joanne Kenney, 42, said Weaving's suit was "unbelievable," according to the AP. "It drags the pain on," she said. "It's a constant reminder. Enough is enough. Can you just leave us alone and serve your time?"And receiving payments from your son's killer wouldn't be a constant reminder?! Why don't you leave him alone and let him serve his time?

The boy's parents need proper grief counseling. They need to accept what happened to their son and get on with their lives. Trying to get money out of the guy who is already serving time in prison is not a defensible act.

Soldiermedic
11/16/2010 10:26am,
The driver is not the issue here, to my way of thinking. The guy (apparently) did it, faced trial, and was convicted. Justice has been served.

I have a problem with the boy's parents, most notably that quote from the mother.And receiving payments from your son's killer wouldn't be a constant reminder?! Why don't you leave him alone and let him serve his time?

The boy's parents need proper grief counseling. They need to accept what happened to their son and get on with their lives. Trying to get money out of the guy who is already serving time in prison is not a defensible act.

I can honestly say that I have no issues with them receiving money from him.

The average cost of funeral in the US is conservatively $6500. Add in the amounts they would have been charged for the ambulance and any medical care he received before he expired, as well as the money to transport and house the body before being claimed by the funeral parlor could be $4000+

I doubt they had life insurance for their son.

Add in grief counseling and regular counseling for years for themselves and their other kids, which their insurance(if they have it) may not cover, and I dont really see them making any money off of this.

twisted mind
11/16/2010 10:48am,
I can honestly say that I have no issues with them receiving money from him.

The average cost of funeral in the US is conservatively $6500. Add in the amounts they would have been charged for the ambulance and any medical care he received before he expired, as well as the money to transport and house the body before being claimed by the funeral parlor could be $4000+

I doubt they had life insurance for their son.

Add in grief counseling and regular counseling for years for themselves and their other kids, which their insurance(if they have it) may not cover, and I dont really see them making any money off of this.

I agree with you here.

To me the shameful point of the situation is that this man would be allowed to counter sue the parents. That shows that we as Americans have a very problematic justice system. Frivolous law suits of this nature should never be admitted into court.

Shamash
11/16/2010 11:12am,
Let me play devil's advocate. First off the guy was rightly convicted of manslaughter since he was going twice the speed limit, however; his lawsuit does have a small glimmer of truth in it.

This ordeal reminds me of the signs "drive slowly we love our children". Everytime I see one of those signs I wonder if they love their children why the **** do they let them play in the road. The city where I went to college was filled with bicyclers who frequently did the stupidest **** immaginable. You were effectively forced to go half the posted speed limit because you can't predict when someone on a bicycle would zoom out across multiple lanes of moving trafic. One dumb woman whom I had a class with would frequently dart across trafic lanes without any type of signal, wait for the pedestrian walk sign to turn green, or even look both ways. When the enevitable "accident" occured she couldn't understand why it happened and even said "i don't see how this could happen". It turns out she was riding her bike and was parralel even with a slow moving car. Without looking she attempted to zoom into the road and crashed into the passenger door.

tao.jonez
11/16/2010 11:17am,
Any sane judge will throw this out.

**** that guy. He acted irresponsibly and has multiple DUI convictions. He clearly doesn't accept responsibility for his actions - he's suing the parents of someone he killed for ****'s sake. The parents should get his house, car, paycheck, investments, everything they want.

AND someone should shoot him and then sue him for not wearing a bulletproof vest.