PDA

View Full Version : My shotokan clip

Pages : [1] 2 3

shotokanrs
11/11/2010 9:59pm,
Some shotokan clips from my club. Next time I'll make a video about the kickboxing training. Coment there if you like. Thank you all.

YouTube - sol nascente dojo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQZYv7uWJrY)

:new_micro

Crushing Step
11/11/2010 10:41pm,
Respectfully, I think there are video guidelines, something to the effect of letting us know why this video is relevant, etc...

On the other hand, you kick like total ****. You're a big dude, and a brown belt. Please do not ever kick in a real fight, ever for any reason.

jnp
11/11/2010 11:00pm,
This thread was moved to Newbietown after Crushing Step made his post. I'm confident that members can critique shotokanrs' video without resorting to rudeness.

Crushing Step
11/11/2010 11:08pm,
My apologies JNP, you know I don't intend to muck up the JMA threads!

fightclubfreak7
11/12/2010 10:40am,
if any of the students from your club ever learn to punch i'd recommended wearing some gloves to hit the heavy bag

Kickapoo
11/12/2010 11:11am,
if any of the students from your club ever learn to punch i'd recommended wearing some gloves to hit the heavy bag

Head's up, don't troll the noobs. You've been around for a while.

To the OP:

Who in this video are you? Is it just a sort of highlight video for your dojo?

Permalost
11/12/2010 11:40am,
Kudos for posting a video. I wish more people posted videos of how their school trains. I like that you guys are hitting a bag (and makiwara) and sparring, but there were some things I was critical of.

Something looks a little off about the recovery of some of the kicks, for example on the Thai pads at 19 seconds. After it hits, there's almost a 1-2 motion when bringing it back to the ground. This can be problematic because if you're kicking someone, you are close enough to hit them and vice versa, and when someone is that close to you it may take too long to swing your leg back like that if they decide to attack right after your kick. I'd recommend starting and ending in a less sideways stance and stepping offline to the outside before you kick (this is also good because it makes it more difficult for them to stop you in your tracks by throwing a high straight attack as soon as you launch the kick). This especially applies to the purple belt at 2:22. The guy on the other side of the bag had much better kicks.

at 1:38 there's a hook with some technical issues. The back foot lifts all the way off the ground, and it's thrown wide with what seems to be a weird wrist angle. A punch like that will cause problems if it misses the head. Again I think part of it is that a less sideways stance will help this, as it has better stability side to side, the direction the punch travels.

What's happening at 2:59?

That was a painful looking groin kick at 3:09

It is Fake
11/12/2010 11:51am,
Okay, now you need to comment as this is the second forum where you have posted this video.

unclejustin
11/12/2010 11:58am,
At 53sec are you guys sparring near the top of an open stairwell?

shotokanrs
11/12/2010 1:16pm,
To the OP:

Who in this video are you? Is it just a sort of highlight video for your dojo?

I'm the brown belt, first guy to apear on the vídeo. I just came out with the idea of making a clip, but another guy lost our best footage, then I used some poor things to compose it, I know, but no excuses. There's no real objective behind this video.

Thank you.

shotokanrs
11/12/2010 1:27pm,
Something looks a little off about the recovery of some of the kicks, for example on the Thai pads at 19 seconds. After it hits, there's almost a 1-2 motion when bringing it back to the ground. This can be problematic because if you're kicking someone, you are close enough to hit them and vice versa, and when someone is that close to you it may take too long to swing your leg back like that if they decide to attack right after your kick. I'd recommend starting and ending in a less sideways stance and stepping offline to the outside before you kick (this is also good because it makes it more difficult for them to stop you in your tracks by throwing a high straight attack as soon as you launch the kick). This especially applies to the purple belt at 2:22. The guy on the other side of the bag had much better kicks.

at 1:38 there's a hook with some technical issues. The back foot lifts all the way off the ground, and it's thrown wide with what seems to be a weird wrist angle. A punch like that will cause problems if it misses the head. Again I think part of it is that a less sideways stance will help this, as it has better stability side to side, the direction the punch travels.

What's happening at 2:59?

That was a painful looking groin kick at 3:09

Hey! You're right about the quality of some of the kicks and technique. Thanks for your opinions. This video is no big deal, just some chilling out moments, not real bag work, pad work, etc. At the time I was inspired about some The Pit vídeos that I saw, where the technique is not the most important thing shown.

The moment at 2:59 it's just a backfist.

Thanks!

shotokanrs
11/12/2010 1:29pm,
At 53sec are you guys sparring near the top of an open stairwell?

Yes, but it's safe since it's well locked.

alex
11/12/2010 3:26pm,
I'm the brown belt, first guy to apear on the vídeo. I just came out with the idea of making a clip, but another guy lost our best footage, then I used some poor things to compose it, I know, but no excuses. There's no real objective behind this video.

Thank you.

heh, was waiting for the disclaimer. i love this one. seriously, any time any of these vids get criticised its the same story-

"oh i had just done a 5 hour workout"
"oh we had better footage but didnt use it for -insert reason here-"

if the vid is crap you wouldnt upload it so you dont actually think it is. others may think it is. i dont really have any constructive criticism for you because none of it will help, all i can say is that perhaps you should study an art where you dont fall over every time you throw a kick.

Crushing Step
11/12/2010 3:26pm,
Hey! You're right about the quality of some of the kicks and technique. Thanks for your opinions. This video is no big deal, just some chilling out moments, not real bag work, pad work, etc.

Hey dude, it's me again, this time not being a dick lol...

I meant what I said, you're a big dude and your a brown belt, your technique should have a ton more power. I'll echo what someone said above, the return on the kicks especially worry me. Between poor power and poor return, I really think you would get hurt using these in a fight.

Regarding what you said above, I am going to say, if it's not your best then why youtube? If it's not your best, why post it online for critique? I deal with entertainers all the time, and I find myself having this same conversation with them. If you are putting your material out there for others to look at, just put your best foot forward.

Feryk
11/12/2010 3:32pm,
Either he's looking for external validation, or he's genuinely interested in how others view his technique. He knows it's not perfect.

If he's smart, he'll consider the critique he's been given, otherwise this was a waste of time.

Crushing Step
11/12/2010 3:42pm,
Well said Feryk. Unfortunately by this level (a few degrees of brown with black belt is most likely next in Shotokan) he is probably the product of his training. If poor habits by poor teaching are the problem, that is 2-4 years of bad habits to fix.