PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Sambo, Florida NY. So Yay or Nay?

MAGIC HATE BALL
11/04/2010 11:24am,
I looked in the school/clubs reviews and I didn't see anything about Ultimate Sambo in Florida upstate New York. Google came up with vids and a thread on Sherdog with a + review.

I've been working in state mental health facilities for over 15 years. It brings me in contact with violence from the criminally insane on a regular if not daily basis. So my game needs to be about take-downs, throws and wrapping them up till the good guys arrives. My Balintawak has served me well on the street/our campus, but It's a no-no(stickwork>batons) against psch patients.

I've recently moved up to Orange county, NY from the Bronx and the pickings up here are not my speed (TKD, Karate). So anybody knows about Master Koulikov runs his operation?

submessenger
11/04/2010 11:28am,
mebbe I'm wrong, but I think it's an offense to start more than one newbietown thread; you should probably get a mod to move this to YMAS.

jnp
11/04/2010 11:31am,
I looked in the school/clubs reviews and I didn't see anything about Ultimate Sambo in Florida upstate New York. Google came up with vids and a thread on Sherdog with a + review.

I've been working in state mental health facilities for over 15 years. It brings me in contact with violence from the criminally insane on a regular if not daily basis. So my game needs to be about take-downs, throws and wrapping them up till the good guys arrives. My Balintawak has served me well on the street/our campus, but It's a no-no(stickwork>batons) against psch patients.

I've recently moved up to Orange county, NY from the Bronx and the pickings up here are not my speed (TKD, Karate). So anybody knows about Master Koulikov runs his operation?
One newbietown thread per member please.

mebbe I'm wrong, but I think it's an offense to start more than one newbietown thread; you should probably get a mod to move this to YMAS.
It's not an offense, but you're not wrong.

MAGIC HATE BALL
11/04/2010 11:36am,

A thousand apologies and forgiveness please. For I am a newbie and I know not what I do.

WhiteShark
11/04/2010 2:07pm,
How can SAMBO be bad? Especially if they compete in something to keep them honest.

CoffeeFan
11/04/2010 3:19pm,

While I've never trained there I do own Master Koulikov's DVDs which do show him competing in both MMA and grappling tournaments. I would say give it a try, SAMBO will definitely show you how to take someone down and hold them there.

Off Topic- Your avatar of Batman running down the pier with a bomb was actually filmed at the Santa Barbara pier.

Gidi
11/04/2010 5:57pm,
So my game needs to be about take-downs, throws and wrapping them up till the good guys arrives.

Sambo should be able to do that for you, and if they compete like people said, no reason for it to be bad.

Another option that seems tailor-made for your needs is Judo or wrestling, which are very good at all those things. Is there no Judo/wrestling there?

It is Fake
11/04/2010 6:06pm,

Actually you both are wrong. One intro thread is enough and a few separate topics are fine as well in newbietown. Booting them out is up to the mods discretion on a case by case basis.

HereBeADragon
11/04/2010 7:20pm,
How can SAMBO be bad? Especially if they compete in something to keep them honest.

This sums it up well. I'd be doing Sambo myself if I could find a school near me. Actually Omega is checking into that for me so fingers crossed. At any rate go check it out and give it a try, it sounds easily like the best option in your area.

dunlap
11/05/2010 10:14am,
Vlad is as legit as they come in Sambo... The person to ask would be Sambo steve.. Vlad competes and has guys compete in grappling tourneys and they do well and he also brings in world class sambo people and other competition oriented MA practitioners like Coban in Muay Thai and Eddie bravo in bjj for seminars

MAGIC HATE BALL
11/05/2010 12:22pm,
Sambo should be able to do that for you, and if they compete like people said, no reason for it to be bad.

Another option that seems tailor-made for your needs is Judo or wrestling, which are very good at all those things. Is there no Judo/wrestling there?

Oh how I wished for Judo. I looked high & low for Judo but everything is either in the city (NYC) or too far up in Albany or Rochester area. I'm in the armpit of NY with location to good MA gyms. The only one that has a known rep is Ultimate Sambo. I was hoping to see if one of his current/former students haunt the boards and could give me the lowdown. A little inside information that would keep my eyes open never hurts.

Agreed! And I like what I saw on the Utubes.

My question is more about how Koulikov runs his operation. I can't find anything negative and I find that hopeful yet curious.

Vlad is as legit as they come in Sambo... The person to ask would be Sambo steve.. Vlad competes and has guys compete in grappling tourneys and they do well and he also brings in world class sambo people and other competition oriented MA practitioners like Coban in Muay Thai and Eddie bravo in bjj for seminars

This is very good to see. If I was still in the Bronx, I'd be at Sambo Steve's place in the city. However, at my age, I'm a little too old & cranky to be rolling with young lions bjj types in competition. I need to seriously up my game if I'm going to survive in 1 piece for the next 10 years till retirement.

While I've never trained there I do own Master Koulikov's DVDs which do show him competing in both MMA and grappling tournaments. I would say give it a try, SAMBO will definitely show you how to take someone down and hold them there.

Off Topic- Your avatar of Batman running down the pier with a bomb was actually filmed at the Santa Barbara pier.

Agreed.

Sambo's emphasis in throws, leg-locks, and ground work is perfect for me in dealing with raging psych patients on the inside. Also being less than 40 minutes away is a good thing too.