PDA

View Full Version : Superman punch in amateur boxing

Pages : [1] 2

strikistanian
11/03/2010 10:55pm,
First off, I'm wondering if it's legal. Secondly, do you think it might actually fake someone out?

I was sparring with a pretty experienced amateur, who's had 20 or so fights, and I had this random urge to give it a shot. And so, I did. Much to my surprise, it landed flush and hard. In fact, I tried it three more times that night, and I found my mark all but once.

Now obviously, this isn't going to be a staple of my arsenal... I mean hell, I barely even throw it when kickboxing, where it actually makes sense to throw. But my interest has definitely been piqued, and if it could surprise or possibly demoralized my opponent, I don't see why I shouldn't throw it once or twice in a match -- assuming that it is legal.

Emevas
11/03/2010 11:06pm,
I can't speak to the legality of it, but generally if you have an opening for the superman punch, you can probably throw something more effective.

I sparred against someone that threw the superman punch before. The first time, it caught me off guard. The second time, it angered me. The third time, I threw a shovel hook into his gut as he came down to the ground, and after that he stopped throwing it. It's pretty difficult to follow up, you have a predictable movement pattern, and it doesn't generate a whole bunch of power.

But that's just my opinion.

goodlun
11/03/2010 11:34pm,
This may be a logical fallacy as an appeal to authority but their is probably a good reason you do not see it thrown in professional boxing matches.

strikistanian
11/03/2010 11:57pm,
I can't speak to the legality of it, but generally if you have an opening for the superman punch, you can probably throw something more effective.

I sparred against someone that threw the superman punch before. The first time, it caught me off guard. The second time, it angered me. The third time, I threw a shovel hook into his gut as he came down to the ground, and after that he stopped throwing it. It's pretty difficult to follow up, you have a predictable movement pattern, and it doesn't generate a whole bunch of power.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with you there. The superman punch follows a similar line as a cross (obviously), but you travel with it and have a little bit of extra elevation, which gives you more reach and a better angles to come over their lead hand. There's also the wtf-factor that you get out of people who aren't used to seeing it. I don't see it as interchangable with any other strike, in general, since its own very unique attributes.

That said, you're absolutely right that there's not much to do in terms of follow up or setup, and that it's hardly the most powerful punch. That said, you can pack a punch with it, and more importantly it can be discouraging and give people a little something extra to worry about. I consider it a legitimate, albeit novel, technique.

foxd
11/04/2010 12:05am,
I always thought you threw the superman punch after setting the guy up with leg kicks, so he thinks you're throwing another kick before blasting him with the punch.

Kickapoo
11/04/2010 12:16am,
I understand why it would be surprising, but it just seems like there are a lot better choices in every aspect. Why superman punch if it's a; going to at best kind of annoy anyone who isn't a ten year old girl and b; set up your body to get pounded? It just seems like an unsound tactical decision.

strikistanian
11/04/2010 12:17am,
I always thought you threw the superman punch after setting the guy up with leg kicks, so he thinks you're throwing another kick before blasting him with the punch.

That is optimally how it works. Not a lot of guys throw it at my gym, but i was sparring this guy from another MMA gym and he hit me with it a couple of times. I hardly recognized it, so i barely reacted when it came at me the first few times. Interestingly enough, he did this while were sparring just hands.

A few months later, I'm sparring with a boxer and for shits and giggles I throw a superman and it lands flush... But I've already told this story in the original post.

I'm doing Golden Gloves in January and I think that some people would fall for it, and it would give them something extra to think about.

Permalost
11/04/2010 1:24am,
A superman punch is a fake kick that looks like it's gonna hit low and then you hit high. If you can't kick your opponent, there's not really the threat of danger there so they don't need to respond to it.

Kickapoo
11/04/2010 2:07am,
If I were boxing someone and they kept faking leg kicks at me I would be really fucking confused. Maybe OP is onto something.

Permalost
11/04/2010 2:14am,
It seems like a good boxer could use some head movement and do a single time counter punch to the face, and it seems like one of the worst positions to get counterpunched from is while flying towards an opponent in a one legged position.

Emevas
11/04/2010 2:16am,
It seems like a good boxer could use some head movement and do a single time counter punch to the face, and it seems like one of the worst positions to get counterpunched from is while flying towards an opponent in a one legged position.

Yeah, that's the biggest issue anytime you're jumping at someone. Unless you're Super Mario, you can't alter your direction mid jump.

WhiteShark
11/04/2010 9:19am,
A superman punch is a fake kick that looks like it's gonna hit low and then you hit high. If you can't kick your opponent, there's not really the threat of danger there so they don't need to respond to it.

THIS.

/thread

MMAMickey
11/04/2010 10:19am,
If you're gonna enter a boxing tournament, you're better off learning boxing.

strikistanian
11/04/2010 11:00am,

I'm sort of hoping that people just won't see it. Techniques that people aren't familiar aren't often defended well until people catch on to them. If I throw it twice in 6 minutes, in between stints of more conventional exchanges, i don't see what it will hurt.

On the flipside, probably not much it would help either. A

If you're gonna enter a boxing tournament, you're better off learning boxing.

I'm pretty comfortable with boxing. Within the last year I've made HUGE leaps in that area. We've got multiple golden glove winners at my gym, who I've been sparring with and holding my own against. Furthermore, I've completely shifted the focus of my training to my hands. I'm training like a boxer, with our boxing coach, and with some of his accomplished students. It's not like I'm just gonna go in there with just Sanda.

That said, I'm interested in the novelty of throwing and landing a superman punch in a boxing match. It would make an amusing story and if it throws my opponent off a bit, what could it hurt? My coach has me practicing some show-boaty techniques here or there, so I don't see what's wrong with drawing some flash from a different toolbox -- so long as it's legal.

And on that note, does anybody know if it is legal?

marcusdbrutus
11/04/2010 12:08pm,
I'm sort of hoping that people just won't see it. Techniques that people aren't familiar aren't often defended well until people catch on to them. If I throw it twice in 6 minutes, in between stints of more conventional exchanges, i don't see what it will hurt.

First of all, it's perfectly legal. Just an awful idea.

Like it was said (I think twice) before, you need need kicks to set it up and put your opponent on the defensive. Just hoping they don't see it is a pretty bad strategy, especially in amateur boxing. In amateurs, especially beginner and intermediate levels, there aren't a lot of breaks in the action. You don't typically see two guys mutually disengaging, reseting, probing and looking for openings and whatnot. I believe this is because amateur technique and reaction time can't be trusted to win a fight this way, and also because you only fight 4 rounds, and therefore don't really NEED to stop swinging. So I'm thinking you'd be more than likely to throw your face directly into some form of punch.

Edit1: in the paragraph above, I am referencing an actual competitive fight. I hope you know that there's quite a difference between the attitude of a sparring session and that of a real fight.

If, by chance, you were fighting a high-level amateur fighter,(an Olympic athlete, for instance) who is capable of maintaining distance with head movement and footwork, and who could slip punches and deliver counters skillfully, I'd think that if you throw all your weight towards them while standing on one foot, little dollar signs would appear in their eyes.

Edit2: and why the **** does everybody call it the superman punch? Cobra punch sounds so much cooler it's not even funny.

Permalost
11/04/2010 12:27pm,
Edit2: and why the **** does everybody call it the superman punch? Cobra punch sounds so much cooler it's not even funny.
I used to call it the Achilles punch, because it's basically how Achilles does the novelty downward stab in the movie Troy, only from a higher angle (the superman punch wasn't really a popular thing when the movie came out).