PDA

View Full Version : Help

BoBucks
11/02/2010 7:28am,
I used to train with CMAC under Sensei Williams. I was always greatly impressed with his skill, demeanor, and charm. I have been out of the martial arts world for sometime now and thinking of returning to CMAC have stumbled upon this thread.

I am not an ignorant man and cannot dispute the solidity of the court case I've just read regarding the situation at the Beaches dojo in 2002 as well as all the other complaints regarding Sensei Platt. I always felt that membership fees were extremely high which is one of the reasons I was unable to continue my training. I also attended a few seminars with Sensei Platt and recall that at some point he alluded to some sort of belief in aliens!! How one could train in Bushido and believe in such nonsense is beyond me.

Even still...I cannot recall a time in my life when I was in better mental and physical condition than when I trained at CMAC with Sensei Williams. As far as I can tell he is legitimately skilled having won gold at the Pan American games in 1997, but thinking back on my experiences, there were a lot of so called 'cool aid drinkers' there. The enthusiasm and attitude in the air was akin to a brainwashing cult, which unfortunately I've had experience with losing friends to.

Admittedly, CMAC is the only martial arts club I've ever belonged to apart from a brief flirtation with Hung Gar kung fu at university. I imagine I'll reap the same mental and physical benefits by training at a new school as I did back in my CMAC days. Can anyone recommend a good dojo in Toronto be it Gojo or otherwise? Also, are there any of Sensei William's students that would stand up for him in a positive manner?

Thank you for the read and apologies for the long post.

BoBucks
11/02/2010 7:40am,
There is a Don Ritter dojo near my house. Anyone have any information on the reputation of his school?

It is Fake
11/02/2010 1:41pm,
There is a Don Ritter dojo near my house. Anyone have any information on the reputation of his school?
Please read the rules of each subforum. This post doesn't belong in this thread.

Sensei Wallace Platt (Hanshi) Ku Dan 9 - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55051)

helmutlvx
11/02/2010 1:52pm,
Would you mind outlining your training experience, BoBucks?

2groggy
11/03/2010 3:45pm,
Admittedly, CMAC is the only martial arts club I've ever belonged to apart from a brief flirtation with Hung Gar kung fu at university. I imagine I'll reap the same mental and physical benefits by training at a new school as I did back in my CMAC days. Can anyone recommend a good dojo in Toronto be it Gojo or otherwise? Also, are there any of Sensei William's students that would stand up for him in a positive manner?

Can you narrow it down to styles that interest you and a general area of town?

You should probably look through some of the gym and school ratings here on BS to learn how we classify things. Then decide what you're looking for. We typically don't judge people harshly if they are honest about their training. And within that ratings forum, do a search on "Toronto" and see what comes up.

Once you've don all of that and are still looking, then it will be easier for us to give you some ideas.

BoBucks
11/04/2010 9:41pm,
@It is fake - Appologies sir for posting that question in the wrong forum.
@helmutlvx - I trained under Sensei Williams to the level of green belt, can't remember what kyu that is, and did Hung Gar for a while in university, can't remember the sifu's name.
@2groggy - Thank you, I'll take a look at the rest of the forums before posing any further out of context.

Regards.

helmutlvx
11/04/2010 10:17pm,
@helmutlvx - I trained under Sensei Williams to the level of green belt, can't remember what kyu that is

Do you happen to remember the sequence of the belts?

In my own dojo, we only have white, green, brown, and black so I couldn't really pin down what kyu that is either.

BoBucks
11/04/2010 10:57pm,
Sure, it was...white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black.