PDA

View Full Version : Western Boxing or Muay Thai - recommendations for a beginner

vigilius
10/26/2010 3:59pm,
Hello everyone

I've decided to take up either western boxing or muay thai, but I'd like to eventually train in both. My question is this: What should I begin with?

My goal with it is really to get a good foundation in striking, fighting in general, learning to take a punch, etc. I will train to get better self-defense and fighting skills. But I am all for using sports matches and sparring as an approximation for this and also for its own sake. The physical conditioning of flexibility, strength, stamina, is also a benefit but not the main focus.

So give me any thoughts you have, what benefits might there be in choosing either one?

Odacon
10/26/2010 4:33pm,
Best advice would be, give both a go, see which one suits you more?

MMAMickey
10/26/2010 5:32pm,
The above advice is good, see which one you enjoy more.

However my generic advice would be to start with boxing. You'll learn the basic stuff real fast, and things like footwork and head movement are really expanded on in a way you won't find in other striking arts. Coming into muay thai with a dangerous boxing game will definitely be an advantage in the long term.

vigilius
10/26/2010 5:50pm,
I am pretty sure I will enjoy both, since there are clubs with great reputations nearby me. I am, however, going to try both first.

I am just looking for some more "cerebral" advice to supplement my mere gut feeling.

vigilius
10/27/2010 11:38am,
More inputs are welcome :)

gregaquaman
10/27/2010 11:46am,
When in doubt go to the better school. You may get a choice like Barrys super boxing champion producing shcool vs Maccas pretty **** Muai Thai or visa versa.

vigilius
10/27/2010 12:06pm,
As I've said, both schools seem great. So let's just say I have two perfect schools, boxing and muay thai, to pick from. Then what would be the best thing to begin with?

MMAMickey
10/27/2010 12:13pm,
Make your mind up for yourself.

As someone who has done both muay thai and boxing I would say starting in boxing offers an advantage to a beginner.

If you are lucky someone like Kidspatula will chime in.

vigilius
10/27/2010 2:30pm,
As someone who has done both muay thai and boxing I would say starting in boxing offers an advantage to a beginner.
I am leaning towards this option. On the other hand, some would claim that Thai gives you more general fighting (and thus self-defense) skills for a beginner, having "eight weapons" rather than two. But I've had the thought that doing kicks and elbows and knees isn't really easy in jeans and a tight leather jacket. Doing basic boxing moves, on the other hand... is possibly the only thing you could do without any great hinderance. Also, spending more energy on fewer moves should enable you to strike really hard with those moves - like proper boxing punches.

If you are lucky someone like Kidspatula will chime in.
Whos that?

MMAMickey
10/27/2010 2:35pm,
They are both excellent for self defence. Seriously. The only thing I can think of that would be better is Judo/wrestling or MMA.

That being said. You'll learn the basic **** faster in boxing (because there are less basic moves).

I didn't suggest boxing because it is better for self defence, I suggested boxing because the basics can be learnt quickly, it is developed with hard sparring, and because it is an excellent base art for pretty much anything you do afterwards.

Neo Sigma
10/27/2010 4:51pm,
But I've had the thought that doing kicks and elbows and knees isn't really easy in jeans and a tight leather jacket.

It's not actually all that hard. I've thrown a head kick in jeans before, and while I don't think it'd ever be a go-to move in a self defense situation, it really doesn't obstruct you that much, especially not for knees.

Anyway, there's not really a lot we can tell you more than "see which you like better". If you're not looking to eventually become a fighter, then I'd say there's not really a whole lot else that can determine your choice. Boxing will be cheaper than muay thai 99 percent of the time if money is a consideration, though. That goes both for gym membership fees, and money spent on equipment- you need a cup, mouthpiece, gloves, and maybe headgear later in boxing. Muay thai needs all of that and shin guards also. You can always use gym stuff until you pick up your own, but you never know where that's been, and it only took me putting on already-sweaty headgear once before I decided getting my own might not be a bad idea.

Torakaka
10/28/2010 12:26am,
My vote just as a general rule for training is always going to be for boxing over muaythai. In boxing you have a greater chance of getting much more comprehensive instruction on basic fundamentals which translate not just to striking, but really pretty much any sport (when I worked as a private instructor at a boxing gym my biggest client base was tennis players). Typically, boxing coaches are sticklers for the fundamentals of posture, balance, and rhythm which are utterly crucial to attaining the highest level of technical ability in any kind of stand up.

HOWEVER!! I started off with Muaythai and a few months later got into boxing. Personally, while the training in boxing was fantastic Muaythai was just plain more fun. I had a hard time making myself go to boxing since it was jab til your arm falls off day in and day out. So I focused on muaythai for few years, training with the boxing teams here and there and after having gotten some fairly strong fundamentals I hooked up with a boxing coach again and really dedicated myself to learning to box.

Already having some decent level of competence and fighting ability I was able to really take advantage of the awesome instruction of a hardcore boxing coach and my skill sky rocketed in a matter of a few months, whereas being a beginner it was frustrating for me to arduously work on getting that perfect jab and concentrating on every last little detail while also attempting to get in good enough shape to keep up with the pace of training.

This is all my own personal experience of course. I know everyone has a different reaction to different teaching methods and this one was the path that worked best for me.

RaiderFunk
10/28/2010 9:00pm,
When in doubt go to the better school. You may get a choice like Barrys super boxing champion producing shcool vs Maccas pretty **** Muai Thai or visa versa.

This. I will add that boxing gyms have a tendency to be extremely cheap and you normally can get a lot more instruction. Having a good boxing foundation and learning to "thai up" kick and knees really gives you some sick game.