PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Aberdeen (UK)

Walpurgisnacht
10/24/2010 4:43pm,
Hey, my name's Walpurgisnacht (if you know a song by this name, shame on you), I'm a student in Aberdeen, I like lifting weights and long walks on the beach. I've been reading Bullshido ever since I saw some grappling and thought it looked fun - I recently (finally) found a place to train and it is absurd amounts of fun to grab your shin and choke a dude with it, but you all know that already.

The place I train is very small and the main instructor does a self defense class, but if people want to work on specific they can do that so I go for ground work, but there's not really any structure to the sessions so what I learn is pretty much up to me so can anyone tell me what a typical (white belt's) BJJ session looks like where they train? At the minute an instructor will typically show me a technique or two and I'll ask to drill it a couple times, then we'll roll and I'll try to hit it and if there's another person there grappling, I'll roll with them. Rolling with my instructors is like a predator playing with its food. It's both awesome and frustrating at the same time.

I know it would be better to find a pure BJJ place with a coach who knows how to coach, but the only other places in Aberdeen that I or my instructors know of are complete MMA places which I'm not interested in right now and which cost too much. This little place is cheap and the instructors know their stuff so I need to work with it.

Also does anyone get a retarded amount of bruises grappling? After some sessions my arms end up looking like I was attacked with a bat.

syberia
10/24/2010 6:12pm,
Also does anyone get a retarded amount of bruises grappling? After some sessions my arms end up looking like I was attacked with a bat.

Do you bruise easy in general?
I get bruises all the time, but no bat attacks...

Anyway, welcome abord, Scottish dude with awesome long name. Glad you finally stopped lurking and have come into the light.

BJJ session for myself, my coach is a purple belt and we are a tiny school, we turn up and warm up for a while (depending on how cruel he's feeling that day), then we drill a few techniques; submissions, escapes, movements and takedown. Different ones each class, or revision of previous ones.
Then we dirll for a while.
Then we roll again, coach stresses the need to try and land what we just practiced. Sometimes it works. Sometimes we do challeges (ie: first person to mount wins and you swap partners) or timed rounds.

If you're worried about your teachnique suffering because of the lack of diversity, check out Stephen Kesting's stuff (LINK! (http://www.grapplearts.com/index.php)) and practice a few of these while you're rolling. Also see the DHS forum on here, the stickies are awesome.
That said, how long have you been training? It's not surprising to feel like you're 'not getting it'.
But, on the most part, all training is probably good training.

Walpurgisnacht
10/25/2010 3:09am,
Do you bruise easy in general?
I get bruises all the time, but no bat attacks...
I've never noticed it before, but they don't hurt (mostly) and go away pretty fast. It's pretty weird but I can live with it.

Scottish dude
I'm English!

Stephen Kesting
I have two vids by Roy Dean with basic stuff in it that I look over and try sometimes while I'm rolling, but actually doing the thing is a lot different from watching the vid - mostly due to me being short as hell and all the guys I train with being tall.

DHS forum
What's this? I read the Beginner's/Grappling/Striking forums if that's what you mean. Or maybe I can't see a forum?

Thanks for the helpful post. I'm not too worried about "not getting it" having only trained for a couple of weeks, but due to the lack of structure I just wanted to make sure I wasn't neglecting something - I think I'll drill a bit more since you mentioned it and we don't do much of it usually.

syberia
10/25/2010 4:14am,
I've never noticed it before, but they don't hurt (mostly) and go away pretty fast. It's pretty weird but I can live with it.

That's not unusual.

I'm English!

Aberdeen is in... scotland...? Ok, whatever.

I have two vids by Roy Dean with basic stuff in it that I look over and try sometimes while I'm rolling, but actually doing the thing is a lot different from watching the vid - mostly due to me being short as hell and all the guys I train with being tall.

The more you watch/read/think the easier it translates onto the mat. Especially once you're over your spazz stage.

What's this? I read the Beginner's/Grappling/Striking forums if that's what you mean. Or maybe I can't see a forum?

Oh, ok... Hang on. They're great resouces, to, but... I'll go link hunting.

Sorry, I forgot they renamed it:
Aesopian BJJ Advanced Grappling Forum - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
Look through the forum and READ. Be careful about replying. They do not take any **** in there. In fact, best if you dont reply unless you have a relevant and specific question.

Some of my personal favorite threads:
The tao of NSLightsOut: Training, stagnation and tapping - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34773)
Helping beginners set realistic goals - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92138)
Breaking down positions - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77083)

As well as this I strongly suggest your read the FAQ's and the READ ME threads (stickies). You seem like a pretty down to earth guy, so you'll probably get along well. Keep in mind the nature of these forums.
We're dicks. We'll **** with you.

Thanks for the helpful post. I'm not too worried about "not getting it" having only trained for a couple of weeks, but due to the lack of structure I just wanted to make sure I wasn't neglecting something - I think I'll drill a bit more since you mentioned it and we don't do much of it usually.

Drill. Drill. Drill. Just ask your partner/coach/whatever to go ten minutes of you (both of you, really) practising your favoured and not favoured positions, transistions and submissions. Don't do everything at once. Focus on one or two skills or sections at a time.
A few weeks? Oh, good old days. Believe me, you'll feel like you're just not getting it a lot in the future.
I'm begining to think I'll never get 'it'.

Kraik
10/25/2010 5:38am,
I'm in Aberdeen as well. Just out of interest, where do you train?

Rock Ape
10/25/2010 11:19am,
Hey, my name's Walpurgisnacht (if you know a song by this name, shame on you), I'm a student in Aberdeen, Really?

Then why does your IP indicate that you're posting from London?

Additionally why is your account shared within another : jd2twomachine ?

So.. this is how it goes down. Please provide me with the answers to my questions before posting elsewhere otherwise your account(s) will be banned.

Thank you.

goodlun
10/25/2010 11:23am,
I got quite a bit of bruising when I 1st started BJJ as well but I also had lost a fair amount of blood during that time period as well so I was anemic at the time. Now that I am not I am not noticing any further bruising.

Walpurgisnacht
10/25/2010 11:43am,
Really?Then why does your IP indicate that you're posting from London?

Additionally why is your account shared within another : jd2twomachine

I have no idea. I'm an English student in Aberdeen. I'm using a USB Dongle which may explain the IP as I don't get my line until 2nd November. If you want some kind of proof I can provide it over PM as long as it's not too invasive. What do you mean shared within another? I only registered yesterday at like 11pm GMT.

Sorry, I forgot they renamed it...
Yeah, I read that forum. Thanks for the thread links. I only really plan to lurk aside from this thread as I'm just a beginner.

I'm in Aberdeen as well. Just out of interest, where do you train?
"Street Combat System" across from Aberdeen College (near Little John Street). Are you a student or local?

Thanks for all the helpful posts! Hopefully I'll be around while I get to use them; I guess that's what I guess for using a damn USB dongle.

Rock Ape
10/25/2010 12:19pm,
..//..What do you mean shared within another? I only registered yesterday at like 11pm GMT.It's quite simple, the software here is able to determine when IP's are shared by more than one person.

See the attached image.

I've redacted the middle sections of the IP numbers however the system is clearly indicating that you and one other person has accessed the site from the same IP.

Now, I accept that there will be occasions when more than one person may share an IP address however; when you introduced yourself, you stated you were in Scotland, the IP trace states the posts originates from England (London to be exact) So, over and above the IP issue I become suspicious when someone states they are posting from a location where the physical trace states otherwise. See my point ?

Ok, I'm willing to extend to you the benefit of the doubt and when your dedicated line is installed on the 2nd of November I'll expect to see a change in the IP and trace information.

Welcome to Bullshido

Rock Ape
10/25/2010 12:24pm,
Also what is your real name (first or last) please

Walpurgisnacht
10/25/2010 12:37pm,
IP woes
Gotcha. If you like, I can make a post from my uni network tomorrow which should have its own IP, if that would work. If there's a problem with installing my line, I'd like to not get banned.

Welcome to Bullshido
Thanks. Shame about the dongle.

Also what is your real name (first or last) please
Liam. Nice to meet you... Simio?

Kraik
10/25/2010 12:44pm,
"Street Combat System" across from Aberdeen College (near Little John Street). Are you a student or local?

I'm a student at Aberdeen University from London. I'm currently training at the Boxing club and MMA club in the Aberdeen Sports Village. They're very cheap and are good quality as well.

Last week in Boxing we had Lee McAllister visit us, the recent Commonwealth lightweight champion. It was interesting watching him dodge punches from the less experienced. Also the Aberdeen team have been the Scottish university champions for the past 6 years running.

At MMA, our coach is Shihan Marc Howes, who was a direct student of Jon Bluming, the founder of Kyokushin Budokai. Plus we're part of Team Jigoku who hold 'honour' K1 style tournaments in Aberdeen every year.

Though I'm not sure if they accept students who aren't from the University of Aberdeen. Either way, it sounds like you're enjoying yourself, and I hope that continues.

Rock Ape
10/25/2010 1:06pm,
Gotcha. If you like, I can make a post from my uni network tomorrow which should have its own IP, if that would work. If there's a problem with installing my line, I'd like to not get banned.

Thanks. Shame about the dongle.

Liam. Nice to meet you... Simio?It's all good.

Dave

Walpurgisnacht
10/25/2010 1:07pm,
Aberdeen University chat
I'm also at Aberdeen Uni (second year!) and I saw the Team Jidoku thing at the fresher's fair this year. Didn't see boxing though - the only society I joined was the German Society. There were some Capoeria guys doing their thing if you were there, that was pretty rad to watch.

I didn't know the uni was so into fighting, it's good to hear. When do you train boxing and how much does it cost? I'm already quite busy but getting punched in the face is fun and I'd like to do it again. If you fancy some Abdn chat we can take it to PM.

Kraik
10/25/2010 1:34pm,
I'm also at Aberdeen Uni (second year!)

I'm a first year.

and I saw the Team Jidoku thing at the fresher's fair this year. Didn't see boxing though - the only society I joined was the German Society. There were some Capoeria guys doing their thing if you were there, that was pretty rad to watch.

I didn't see that, but I wish I had. I know the Tae Kwon Do club had a strength measuring pad which I punched (scored 78). Was quite strange as the art concentrates on kicking.

When do you train boxing and how much does it cost? I'm already quite busy but getting punched in the face is fun and I'd like to do it again.

Boxing is on Monday (21:00-22:30), Wednesday (14:30-16:30) and Friday (16:30-18:00).

It costs 20 for the annual membership, and they provide you with all the gloves, headgear, etc. But you'll have to buy your own mouth guard, hand wraps, skipping rope and boxing shoes.

And the Kyokushin Budokai, or MMA is on Tuesday (19:00-20:30) and Thuesday (18:30-20:00).

It costs 2 per session.

Walpurgisnacht
11/03/2010 10:26am,
Boxing
Sounds great, but I don't think it's quite what I want to do. I may drop by and check it out, gonna check out the Uni's Judo as well I think. Shame there's no Muay Thai places around (that I know of).

Feel free to come check out SCS (the place I train), too.

Stuff
I got my line now. After a few days short of 2 months. God damn.